• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Pictorial of the P54

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

My son just ran across a P-54, serial 38xxx out west which he says is in very good condition, marked correctly but has no rear sight. Is it possible to find iron rear sights or should he just pass on it?

The rear sight should be fairly easy to find, though as pointed out above, the insert graduated for the .22lr may be difficult due to the scarcity in various countries.

They were generally removed to allow more scope mounting options as they are somewhat bulky, they work great though.

May I suggest buying it, scoping it and enjoying it.

Sounds good to me. I'll be following up and see if I can make a deal.Only know the rifle from information on this site and will post photos for more insight about this 22cal. Thanks!

Hi, I have come across a P54 with an adjustable competition stock, it has a Bofors barrel so my guess it dates to about 1965-68. I assume it is a biathlon version, did these ever come out with Peep sights?

Hi, I have come across a P54 with an adjustable competition stock, it has a Bofors barrel so my guess it dates to about 1965-68. I assume it is a biathlon version, did these ever come out with Peep sights?

The last pics of member L46’s on page 1 show the peep sight. Bottom rifle, second last pic.

I’ve seen a couple of P54’s now with Biathlon type stocks, never one the same though so not sure if they are factory or not.

I did go ahead and bought the p-54. Received it today and have a few questions. The barrel, magazine, trigger and action look in good shape and the wood only has minor blemishes. I believe the stock may have been repaired. I intend to break it down and do a full clean and examination. However removing the bolt is a problem. I saw on this site that the trigger must be pulled to slide it out, much like on an old Colteer I have. So far no luck. Any advice welcome!

I did go ahead and bought the p-54. Received it today and have a few questions. The barrel, magazine, trigger and action look in good shape and the wood only has minor blemishes. I believe the stock may have been repaired. I intend to break it down and do a full clean and examination. However removing the bolt is a problem. I saw on this site that the trigger must be pulled to slide it out, much like on an old Colteer I have. So far no luck. Any advice welcome!
Did you ever get the bolt out? If not then try pushing the trigger forward. I have found that it can help sometimes. Also if that doesn't work then if you remove the wood, there is a screw underneath the trigger that adds or releases tension in the little plug that keeps the bolt in place.

I know this is an older post but thought I would give my 2 cents anyway.

I tried every which way with no luck. Finally took it to my gunsmith to do a proper repair of the hairline crack and was able to remove the bolt when we removed the action. Still was difficult to remove the bolt. Found that loosening the rear trigger guard screw allowed removal. Seems like your suggestion makes sense and I’ll add it to my to do list. I need to spend a little more time with this rifle as it shoots well. I also have an issue where the last round in the magazine won’t load yet all others seat fine. Someone has suggested it may not be an original one. If you can would you post a photo for comparison. Thanks for your post.

I tried every which way with no luck. Finally took it to my gunsmith to do a proper repair of the hairline crack and was able to remove the bolt when we removed the action. Still was difficult to remove the bolt. Found that loosening the rear trigger guard screw allowed removal. Seems like your suggestion makes sense and I’ll add it to my to do list. I need to spend a little more time with this rifle as it shoots well. I also have an issue where the last round in the magazine won’t load yet all others seat fine. Someone has suggested it may not be an original one. If you can would you post a photo for comparison. Thanks for your post.
Wood shrinkage is the reason for the action screws interfering with removing the bolt. I actually took a few thousands off of one of mine to get clearance.
The original magazines have a small rectangular opening in the front that catches the forward spring tongue retainer…it gets a bit sloppy with age so the mag can shift around causing feed problems. I always insert the mag fully and then pull downward slightly to be sure the catch is engaged.

Also..the screw underneath the trigger is actually the sear adjustment…it has a melancholy range of adjustment…from heavy trigger pull to slam fire in about 1 turn in some cases.
Pulling the trigger will release the bolt as will pushing it forward as it moves on a spring supported hinge designed into the trigger body.

Attachments

• IMG_4559.jpeg
    IMG_4559.jpeg
    26.7 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back