• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New owner of a 85 Bavarian Carbine

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

DaveG_NJ

Hi everyone,

I picked up a new Bavarian Carbine in .243 Win recently and had it out to the range to see what kind of ammo it likes. Such a beautiful rifle! Over the course of 3 days, I tried quite a few different factory rounds, from 58 gr through 105 gr. Here were my observations:

1. The rifle liked the Sako 100 gr Gamepoints the best. With a cold barrel, these shot well below MOA with most groups in the 0.43" to 0.75" range at 100 yards.
  2. Next to the Sako Gamepoints, the rifle liked Federal Fusion 95 gr next. About half the groups were sub-MOA.
  3. The worst performing ammo was some 90 gr PPU rounds that I had. Not surprising, I suppose that the most expensive round did the best and the least expensive did the worst. There were some exceptions, though - the 97 gr Browning BRX shot poorly as did the 70 gr Federal Nosler ballistic tips.
  4. The 105 grs would not stabilize with the long twist of this rifle and would spray and keyhole. Those were Copper Creek Berger Hybrids that I had purchased for my Ruger Precision Rifle. 100 gr seems to be the upper limit for the 10" twist.
  5. Once the barrel got hot, accuracy dropped off and groups would open up to about the 1.5" range at 100 yrds.
  6. The set trigger is fantastic for benchrest shooting.
  7. The fit, finish and function of the rifle is exceptional.

My take-aways from this exercise is to 1) stick with the Sako ammo (I don't handload) and 2) this is not a range gun.

Does this all this sound about right for a Sako? It's my first.

I also bought the Bavarian Full stock carbine and love the gun. Still breaking in the barrel and found the Sako 100 gr gamepoints were decent. I'm trying some Berger 68 grain FB match bullets now. I have more bullet choices on order.

Hi everyone,

I picked up a new Bavarian Carbine in .243 Win recently and had it out to the range to see what kind of ammo it likes. Such a beautiful rifle! Over the course of 3 days, I tried quite a few different factory rounds, from 58 gr through 105 gr. Here were my observations:

1. The rifle liked the Sako 100 gr Gamepoints the best. With a cold barrel, these shot well below MOA with most groups in the 0.43" to 0.75" range at 100 yards.
  2. Next to the Sako Gamepoints, the rifle liked Federal Fusion 95 gr next. About half the groups were sub-MOA.
  3. The worst performing ammo was some 90 gr PPU rounds that I had. Not surprising, I suppose that the most expensive round did the best and the least expensive did the worst. There were some exceptions, though - the 97 gr Browning BRX shot poorly as did the 70 gr Federal Nosler ballistic tips.
  4. The 105 grs would not stabilize with the long twist of this rifle and would spray and keyhole. Those were Copper Creek Berger Hybrids that I had purchased for my Ruger Precision Rifle. 100 gr seems to be the upper limit for the 10" twist.
  5. Once the barrel got hot, accuracy dropped off and groups would open up to about the 1.5" range at 100 yrds.

My take-aways from this exercise is to 1) stick with the Sako ammo (I don't handload) and 2) this is not a range gun.

Hi everyone,

Mine shot the best with Winchester 95 Sliver tips .65 5roups, and 90 grain Hornady precision hunter .73 groups. Has any body had any luck with Barnes 80 gr TTSX ??

Back