• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New member and looking to learn something.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

My name is Bo, I recently came into a few sako/Tikka and other vintage rifles, one of which I am struggling to find alot of info on.

It's from what I have found, a sako L46 pre vixen manlicher stock in .222 remington in absolutely incredible condition. I'm wondering what you gents can tell me about it? History wise and of course, possibly value? I can't find any comps for it. I also can't find any information on it in general. I know its got some funky looking knurled proprietary rail on it. New member and looking to learn something. New member and looking to learn something.

That is pretty nice gun! It is L46 model 4 manlicher rifle. It is made between 1950-1961. It has strait non monte carlo stock.
Is there any nuances to it I should know about? Or any specialty care techniques to protect that european walnut? I got it basically new in the packing grease and want to keep it that nice. Especially since I dont have anything else in .222 rem and won't ever shoot it most likely. Not exactly anything like my newer Tikka 7mm I take backpack hunting and whoop on. 🤣🤣 I'd never take this thing out like that, it's far to beautiful!

Yes, it's a beautiful rifle. Really nice wood and in superlative condition. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. If you don't want to go through the hassle of mounting a scope, you can get a clamp-on Sako peep sight and shoot it with the irons. That's how mine is set up, and it's fun to shoot. It's shown here with another L46, an early version with conventional stock and a period Kollmorgen scope that is probably original to the gun.

There is no such thing as a "pre-Vixen". You have a L46 full stock rifle, which should not be confused with the full stock carbine. Most refer to them as Mannlichers. The receiver dovetails are not "funky", but rather as very ingenious way to mount a scope using original Sako or Leupold one piece ringmounts, as well as other aftermarket base/ring systems designed for them. You can learn about the scope mounting rings/systems by perusing the forum. But, if you never plan on shooting it why bother with a scope. Very nice find! You have a desirable rifle that any collector would show interest in. Comps are all over the place for L46's, but you have to look at "selling" prices not "asking" prices. There is a vast amount of info about your rifle in the Sako Short Action section of the forum if you take the time to investigate. eBay usually has the peep sights for sale, as well as the gun auction sites. Expect to spend between $100 & $200 dollars for one. They clamp directly to the "funky" rear receiver dovetail. Thanks for the pics!!

You can check the For Sale forum on this website - one of the members might have one for sale. Apart from that, eBay and Gunbroker are both potential sources. They usually sell in the $100-120 range, but I've seen them go higher or lower. There are three variations, made in different time frames. All will work interchangeably. They are windage and elevation adjustable by opposing set screws. There is quite a bit of information about the peep sight on the Miscellaneous Sako Parts subform, and maybe on the gunsmithing forum as well. Here are some photos.

Earliest version
Second (L) and third versions
New member and looking to learn something. New member and looking to learn something. New member and looking to learn something.

I just feel bad shooting it due to its condition! I recieved a ruger #1 in 6mm rem and a cooper 52 new in the box on the same day when I bought all of these and I will feel bad about shooting any of them when I start. 😮‍💨

I guess funky sounded more derogatory then I ment ive just never seen a rifle with that pattern of rail before. The action as always with any sako I've ever held is incredible. I just wish it was chambered in something I knew more about then .222!

I just wish it was chambered in something I knew more about then .222!
Do you know anything about the .223? Well, if so then you know just about all there is to know about the .222. The .222 has the same case, just a tad shorter and therefore a bit less in capacity. The .222 will shoot a 50 grain bullet about the same speed that a .223 does a 55 grain bullet. That's not to say you can't use 55 grainers in the .222, as well as most 60's for that matter (however, I like 40's for most varminting). The .222 tends, on average, to achieve a bit better accuracy than the .223. The minor difference in velocity means little in most shooting situations.

I have a Sako L46 full stock Mannlicher almost identical to yours. It shoots little bitty groups. If you don't intend on selling it right away it would be a shame not to enjoy its shooting qualities.

I didn't plan on selling any of them, especially since values are all over the place. But I have been wanting a kubota lawn tractor something fierce so the thought of liquidating them has definitely came to mind.. Every time I sell a gun though I regret it same day. Anyone else have that problem? 😮‍💨

Especially the cooper and the red pad #1 I got. Since the sako handles so nicely.. but I got many other rifles in the purchase. A new in the box heavy barrel winchester 52D .22lr, a Schmidt reubin swiss, and a new in the box tab safety ruger M77 25-06. Lots of beautiful rifles I'll likely never replace if I did sell them..

All the rifles in the less common calibers came with dies and some reloading data for them, which is great because I've never loaded .222 or 6mm rem. I actually got a bunch of brass for the .222 as well. Just havnt tinkerer with it yet since the rifle doesn't have an optic yet. I was leaning towards getting some leupold mounts and putting a leupold on it for varmints. This rifle seems like it would be some great woodchuck medicine!!

All the rifles in the less common calibers came with dies and some reloading data for them, which is great because I've never loaded .222 or 6mm rem. I actually got a bunch of brass for the .222 as well. Just havnt tinkerer with it yet since the rifle doesn't have an optic yet. I was leaning towards getting some leupold mounts and putting a leupold on it for varmints. This rifle seems like it would be some great woodchuck medicine!!
Hello couleestomper,
There seems to be a fork in the road, Collector, or shooter. Take one & be happy with ever one you choose. It is your choice so just do it. Best of luck, B/T.

was leaning towards getting some leupold mounts and putting a leupold on it for varmints
Yep, do that. Get it out into the field and enjoy its capabilities. Most likely it will change any thought of parting ways with it. That little Sako is a versatile heirloom. Seems like you have some nice options to possibly keep a few nice rifles and buy a Kubota. Just sayin….

Sakos are designed for shooting and hunting and they like that! Try it, you are gonna love it ( balance, accuraty etc.) That rifle reserves orginal classic Sako split rings for scope.
My 222 mag on duty

Attachments

• New member and looking to learn something.
    B4916EDB-E9FA-4DA8-B4A2-93D75A3FC8D8.jpeg
    298.4 KB · Views: 17
Where does one find oek sako split rings?
eBay or Gunbroker, mainly. Occasionally on the For Sale board here. I also see them once in a while at gun shows. You will need medium or high rings depending on the scope you choose. Old style low rings are too low for any scope with an objective bell and with some scopes the bolt handle will hit the ocular.

Here are some rings that would be correct for your rifle. I strongly prefer these over the newer Leupold or Optilock mounts. They are windage adjustable and look right on an older Sako.

High rings. They are easily distinguished by the lightening holes.

Medium rings

Those obviously being period correct look great, I believe someone messeged me with a set they had for sale. I'll definitely by getting a set and then finding a Leopold to go on it!

Generally speaking, a Leupold scope with a 40mm non-AO objective will work with Sako traditional Medium rings, while the AO versions require High rings. Forget about 50mm objectives - they are unnecessary anyway, and usually elevate the head position too high above the stock.

Latest posts

Back