• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

M98 Value ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

rowdy

I believe I have been shown a M98 sako mauser in 8 x 60. I haven't seen it yet, and the pictures are not very close up so I haven't seen any stamp markings.

The vendor says that it is in good shape with a very good barrel. I believe that 30-06 cases can be used for ammunition so I think that base would be covered, but I'm wondering what value the gun would be worth ? I know it is rare, but how rare ?

As always any and all opinions welcome.

Rowdy

Rowdy, from what I can find, there are a couple 8x60 designations. The 8x60mm has a .318" (8.07mm) bullet while the 8x60mm-S has a .323" (8.20mm) These differences are due to the interbellum period between WWI and WWII and the Treaty of Versailles, which did not allow military firearms and ammo to civilians in Germany...To a collector, this difference may add or detract from the guns value I suppose, but to the shooter it will be important to know which is which.

I feel any pre-L61R rifle with a Sako Barrel and markings using the Mauser 98 action in very fine condition should price close to a L61R of the same condition and vintage, with the rare caliber chambering adding to that 10-20%...in my book~Bloo

Bloo,

Thank you. I've done some research myself into the variations of bullet size and I think that the Sako was chambered for the .318 not the S - bore .323. If I purchased the gun to be on the safe side it would go straight to my gunsmith for a proper inspection and sizing of the chamber and bore anyway.

Your thoughts on the pricing also make sense to me.

I'm waiting on better pictures at the moment before any decisions are made and bank accounts raided.

Many Thanks

Rowdy

Latest posts

Back