• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Looking to convert AV Finnbear Deluxe to 7mm PRC. Advice needed.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello all,

Im new here - so I hope this is in the right forum. I know hardly nothing about these guns other than they hold a lot of sentimental value to me (grew up hunting with my dad with this model of rifle - and I think they’re beautiful). I currently own an AV Finnbear Deluxe in 338 Win Mag (RH). I am a left handed shooter but have been shooting with RH rifles pretty much my whole life. I would like to switch this gun to a 7mm PRC with hopefully just a barrel swap. From what I’ve read this seems possible. I bought some 7mm PRC rounds and tested them in my magazine and they fit. Any unforeseen things that I might be missing?

I also have a potential other option. I’ve seen a left handed AV Finnbear Deluxe 7mm rem mag for sale but I don’t know enough about that gun to know if all it would require is a barrel swap to accommodate the PRC. I would sell my 338 win mag to accommodate this. I would like this option the best, being a left handed shooter.

So, in summation: I can either change my RH rifle (which I know will accommodate a PRC with a barrel swap) OR buy the LH rifle but I need to know if it can accommodate the 7mm PRC round. Either way, I don’t want to do more than a barrel swap if necessary. I plan on keeping either option I choose for life.

Any advice on potential unforeseen circumstances with the 338 swap would be nice. Also any advice on whether or not the swap for the 7mm rem mag would work would also be appreciated.

God bless,
Peach

advice on potential unforeseen circumstances with the 338 swap would be nice. Also any advice on whether or not the swap for the 7mm rem mag would work would also be appreciated.
Respectfully, most folks here will advise you to not cannibalize either Sako Deluxe rifle for this purpose. Kinda sacrilege to a collector group.

But, either action should be suitable. You may have to potentially re-work the feed rails, but the standard magnum actions are being used for this purpose. There’s a few internet articles related. Pick your barrel, then get it built.

My simple advice would be sell the .338, then buy any other donor rifle or action, or simply purchase one of many different LH rifles currently being produced in said caliber.

Last edited:
Reactions: ERP
Thank you for the input. I can see your perspective on not cannibalizing it. I want to leave it as untouched as I can (hence just the barrel swap… something impermanent). If I had to make more adjustments than the barrel swap, it would just stay a 7mm Rem Mag - a round I would use way more than the .338.

I was looking online and I couldn’t quite find the answer about the action. Are the AV actions for the .338, the same action/magazine as the 7mm rem mag? You mentioned the “magnum” action. Is this just a standard action/magazine that Sako used for their AVs for their magnum rounds or were they built to the rifle’s specific caliber?

Latest posts

Back