• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Looking for answers!!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Camp B

Hello all!

I’m new to this forum. Been scanning through threads and seems like there are many people on here with a lot of knowledge around Sakos!

I inherited my father’s Sako finnbear L61R 30-06 that he bought when he and my mom were stationed in Germany in the early seventies. From the research I’ve done it appears that they were made from 1962-1974?? The serial # is 51203 so I would assume with that higher number that it’s maybe a later, early seventies, model but that’s just my guess. Wondering if any of you have a better idea of that. Also, just curious what the rifle would be worth today. To be as old as it is and as well used as it is it’s still in pretty darn good shape.

Attaching a few pics of it for y’all to take a look at.

Thanks yall!!

Attachments

• IMG_8182.jpeg
    IMG_8182.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_8181.jpeg
    IMG_8181.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8180.png
    IMG_8180.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_8178.png
    IMG_8178.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 26
Welcome Camp B,
It looks like your Dad's rifle was not used much and seems to be in good condition, as far as I can see. The checkering looks sharp & the bluing too.
A photo of the bolt face would be nice. There were a lot of 30/06 cal. rifles made & sorry to tell you they do not bring a price that you could take a nice vacation on. How ever, being that it is your dads, I am sure it has personal value to you. I would guess a cash value would be from $1,000. to $1,500. fair market value, That being said is only my opinion & that's only what I see on various gun sale sites. If you are a hunter, you have one of the most versatile calibers ever made & it is suitable for any game in the USA if choosing the right ammo for that game. It probably is an accurate rifle, as Sakos are noted for that. Best of luck! B/T

Bucktote,

Thanks so much for your reply! Your assessment is correct…there is a ton of personal/sentimental value attached to this rifle. It’s the only deer rifle my dad ever owned for as long as I knew him. As a small child I sat next to him in stands as he shot many deer with it and I also shot my first deer with it at 13 years old with him. Probably would take a lot for me to part with it.

The price you estimated is exactly what I’ve been seeing online and I was just looking for some confirmation from others who know more about it than I do. Dont think I’d ever sell it but was just more curious about its monetary value.

Thanks again for your input! Oh, and I’ve attached a photo of the bolt face.

Attachments

• IMG_8185.jpeg
    IMG_8185.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 20
Bucktote,

Thanks so much for your reply! Your assessment is correct…there is a ton of personal/sentimental value attached to this rifle. It’s the only deer rifle my dad ever owned for as long as I knew him. As a small child I sat next to him in stands as he shot many deer with it and I also shot my first deer with it at 13 years old with him. Probably would take a lot for me to part with it.

The price you estimated is exactly what I’ve been seeing online and I was just looking for some confirmation from others who know more about it than I do. Dont think I’d ever sell it but was just more curious about its monetary value.

Thanks again for your input! Oh, and I’ve attached a photo of the bolt face.
Glad to hear you have a special place in your heart for your Dad and the rifle, but is that a crack I see in the bolt face? check it out. B/T

Glad to hear you have a special place in your heart for your Dad and the rifle, but is that a crack I see in the bolt face? check it out. B/T
It’s not! I saw that too in the photo and took a closer look. It’s just a piece of dust/lint lol

From the research I’ve done it appears that they were made from 1962-1974?? The serial # is 51203 so I would assume with that higher number that it’s maybe a later, early seventies
Early seventies is about as good a guess as can be made as to age. Our Club's factory inspection records go to about 48000 for the L61R, stopping sometime in 1972. However, Sako did not assign their serial numbers chronologically, so it is impossible to know exactly when your rifle was produced. Knowing when your father was stationed in Germany would be the best date you could put on the rifle.

Lots of Sakos were purchased by GI's through the base store and recorded as sent there in the Sako shipping records. We have shipping records through about 1977, so if you would like us to research the origin of your rifle go to the "Factory Records" link at the top of this page and order "Level 2" service. If your rifle can't be found your $20 payment will be refunded.

With that serial number it should have a three-lug bolt (two forward and one at the rear just in front of the bolt handle). People often regard this as more desirable; but later two lug bolts were just as strong.

Latest posts

Back