• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Laminate Stock Help

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Just got my Sako 85 in last week. I went to look at the rifle 3-4 days later and I noticed the rifle had a spot on it. I rubbed it with my finger and a clear coating flaked off. I called Beretta today and they told me to try lemon oil on it. They told me it had probably dried out. You can feel the difference in surfaces. I tried it, but it only made the color blend better. I have a feeling I am going to have to send to Beretta. They acted like there couldn't be any kind of coating coming off of it. Do you guys have any suggestions besides sending it back to Beretta?
IMG_20150102_211644_zps3a19375d.jpg

IMG_20150102_215910marked_zps038a1950.jpg

I think you're right. It looks like a flaw in the coating to me too. I think Beretta should fix it. You could dab a little clear polyurethane on the site but it might nor be compatible with the original finish. I think sending it back to Beretta is the best option.

This is certainly a flaw, it happens. I have sent many guns back to the manufacturer that contained flaws. It is not really that big of a deal but it does take some time. How it usually works is, you contact the manufacturer, they open a case, they send you shipping label, you pack the gun up, ship gun to them, they fix it, and finally they send it back.

The last gun I sent in was a pricey Henry rifle and it had a bluing issue on the side of the receiver (bluing just wiped off). Sent the gun to them and they sent it back better than new. They even sent me a few extras for hassle.

If you don't want to send it back to Beretta, I'd try smoothing the edges with some 0000 steel wool & then applying some Birchwood- Casey Tru-Oil to the area. Blend it into surrounding area with your fingers. Most times I can make a spot like that disappear. It probably won't be the last time you have to "touch it up" if you hunt with it anyway.

If you don't want to send it back to Beretta, I'd try smoothing the edges with some 0000 steel wool & then applying some Birchwood- Casey Tru-Oil to the area. Blend it into surrounding area with your fingers. Most times I can make a spot like that disappear. It probably won't be the last time you have to "touch it up" if you hunt with it anyway.
Sage advice.

For what those cost if it didn't come out of the box perfect I would send it back. There is nothing you can do that "you" won't see when you pick it up....ever. Any solution is a compromise, you paid full tilt, and if you sell it you either have to disclose it or hide it. Now, if you picked it up and dropped it....well that's different, see the above.

Last edited:
Well I got the gun back, and then I sent it right back. I was really disappointed in Berettas repair work. Everyone I've talked to has been very friendly on the phone. However, when I took the gun out of the box it looked exactly like it did before except with polyurethane covering it. So any of the flaking areas just had polyurethane over it. I called the service center and sent a picture of it. Service rep talked to his manager and both agreed it still didn't look quite right. So I sent it back and the service manager is supposed to look at it.

The level at which some company's go "nickel wise and dollar stupid" truly amazes me. Considering the cost/difference to replace the stock rather than jake-leg a repair and send it back and forth to a customer is not that much. Unless the customer service/management guys involved are making minimum wage which we can't rule out based on their decisions. If "1" person reads this thread and it changes "1" buying decision they're upside down on this deal, if not already. We're not talking about a 400.00 Salvage kit gun! Rifle-starter receives a rifle with a new stock and maybe a 6.00 Sako gimme cap he's singing Sako's praises,....now they look like a bunch of cheap arse's. Someone in a position of authority had to look at that and sign off.....scary.

This is typical of Beretta from what I've heard. Would have been cheaper than the shipping cost to fix it yourself, let alone the aggravation. My guess is they will say "it's fixed". Let us know how it goes!!

Latest posts

Back