L61R Bolt disassembly

Discussion in 'Sako Long/Magnum Actions' started by Robert Johnson, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    I am try to disassemble this bolt to remove firing pin so I can clean and oil. My father just gave me this rifle and I’m sure it has never been done in the last 20 years. It’s a 2 lug bolt and manufactured between 1974 and 1979. Does anyone have a procedure or discretion on how to do this. I have been able to rotate the firing pin and shroud 360* but nothing seams to be release the shroud. The pin on the left hand side shows that it has moved inward and sometime or the other but when rotating it does not want to move. It may be locked up if’s supposed to move. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    Robert,

Rotate, by hand, the bolt shroud clockwise relative to the bolt body......about one-half turn. WARNING......be VERY prepared for spring pressure release, when the firing pin assembly exists the rear of the bolt body.

Reverse procedure, to reassemble........strong hands, and a firm grip(or double-sided scotch tape) are required.

Hope this helps.

Robert Johnson likes this.
  3. Robert Johnson

Robert Johnson Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Washington
    Does the detent pin shown on the left side of my photo have anything to do with the release? I have rotated it 360* and nothing released. Now I was pulling on the fire pin catch while rotating. Do I need to leave it alone and only rotate the shroud which would rotate the firing pin as well?

thanks for the reply Kevin

4. kevinlg

kevinlg Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Texas
    No......the side pin has nothing to do with dis-assembly. If I recall correctly, it "assists" during normal bolt cocking.

Without actual testing, I'm pretty sure the firing pin assembly will "release" right at one-half turn......no more, no less. Pulling on the firing pin sear is not required.
    Remember......turn the collar clockwise ONLY to disassemble. Turning the wrong direction will de-cock the bolt.............re-cocking is a bit of a pain.

5. gunner620

gunner620 Well-Known Member

Country Flag:
    USA
    State/Region:
    US Florida
    Robert, I sent you a private message. Jim