• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions L46 25-20

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

In Australia I have no opinion, however in the US where scarcity of this caliber makes it quite desirable you could expect $2,000-3,000+ US as there are two or more individuals willing to spend a premium to add to their collection. I say two or more as that is what sets market value.
Very nice Sako!

Bring it over here to the US and you'll get your trip paid for.
Well said, Rocky! And I expect that Rocky would offer to pay for the plane ticket.;)

That might be a refinished stock, but camera/light/color tone make it difficult to know.

Regardless, I would say that Spaher's estimate of the U.S. value may be conservative since the .25-20 was never commercially imported to the U.S. Australian values, where the .25-20 was commercially imported (although in somewhat limited numbers) may not quite match what it would bring in the U.S. Also, I suspect that the vast majority of the small number of .25-20's Sako made were stocked in uncheckered birch -- and most of them would have been LH safeties instead of the rolling RH safety of the one in the photo -- making it even more desirable.

Based on Stonecreek's opinion, I would be bidding on it as well as I did not know that they were not commercially imported to US. I was lucky to find a .25-20 and it is checkered as shown in photos.
Even though the L46 .218 Bee was imported to the U.S., prices on the very rare transactions of those have been running well into the 3-4K range. And I felt I was really lucky to buy a nice L46 Hornet (somewhat more common than the Bee) for around $2,200 within the last year. I'd say that what I paid for my Hornet is probably well under today's market. (BTW: That Hornet is a real shooter with groups running well under an inch using a variety of ammunition.)

Based on the Hornet and Bee prices, I have to think that the exceedingly rare (in the U.S.) .25-20 would have to bring something more -- but as Spaher observes, it takes at least two buyers with adequately deep pockets to "discover" the market.

In Australia I have no opinion, however in the US where scarcity of this caliber makes it quite desirable you could expect $2,000-3,000+ US as there are two or more individuals willing to spend a premium to add to their collection. I say two or more as that is what sets market value.
Very nice Sako!
Thanks for the info Spaher. This will give me a figure to start with.

Well said, Rocky! And I expect that Rocky would offer to pay for the plane ticket.;)

That might be a refinished stock, but camera/light/color tone make it difficult to know.

Regardless, I would say that Spaher's estimate of the U.S. value may be conservative since the .25-20 was never commercially imported to the U.S. Australian values, where the .25-20 was commercially imported (although in somewhat limited numbers) may not quite match what it would bring in the U.S. Also, I suspect that the vast majority of the small number of .25-20's Sako made were stocked in uncheckered birch -- and most of them would have been LH safeties instead of the rolling RH safety of the one in the photo -- making it even more desirable.
Stonecreek, I aquired the firearm some 40yrs ago from a deceased estate (friend of our family). He was a farmer and as far as I am aware it's in original condition. When I got it I just cleaned it and rubbed a coat of oil over the timber work. There is a slight blueing fad near action. Wonder if Rocky could use the plane ticket himself and come over? I'm still trying to come up with a fair price!

Stonecreek, I aquired the firearm some 40yrs ago from a deceased estate (friend of our family). He was a farmer and as far as I am aware it's in original condition. When I got it I just cleaned it and rubbed a coat of oil over the timber work.
Okay, the oil you applied explains why the stock color isn't quite what is usually seen. It's a great rifle to own, regardless of what hemisphere you happen to be in.

Hello Silver - Fox, I too have a Sako L46 in .25 - 20 WCF which came out of production on 1st October 1949. The rifle also has the left - hand safety, with birch stock - chequered only around the pistol - grip, but not the forend.
Blackjack

Oh by the way Silver - Fox my Sako L46 is engraved 6,3 X 33 R which is the metric measurement for .25 - 20 WCF. There are photo's of my rifle under the 6, 3 X 33 R heading on SCC.
B J

L46 25-20View attachment 32829View attachment 32830oops, forgot I had already posted…. a bad sign…but, where did I leave my glasses?
Fantastic rifle Rene!
Even the second time around! 😏

I see it’s a model 1 by the wing safety, but yours has some interesting features that would have come later , most notably the forearm checkering and lack of the barrel band.

Could you add some more photos of the underside? I m wondering about the magazine well … is it rounded in front or square?

Bloo

Last edited:
View attachment 26953 View attachment 26952 Based on Stonecreek's opinion, I would be bidding on it as well as I did not know that they were not commercially imported to US. I was lucky to find a .25-20 and it is checkered as shown in photos.
Until I find an L46 in .25-20, I will just have to make do with my Savage model 23B in .25-20. It shoots as well as my Winchester 1892 saddle ring carbine but will accept pointed bullets. I have some 75 grain hornady psp that should work well but probably not expand well.

This is my 23B. I can see where SAKO got the inspiration for the L46. I have owned these guns in .22 Hornet, .25-20 and will soon come into a .32-20. I should have never sold the hornet. It was such a utilitarian piece. Never sell a gun that shoots well, no matter what it looks like.

Attachments

• 20240107_194713.jpg
    20240107_194713.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240107_194703.jpg
    20240107_194703.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 5
Back