• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Kimber M89 BGR

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
Trigger warning: This is off-topic! Not a Sako! However, I think some of us will find it interesting.

Confession: Sometimes my mind wanders away from Sako and its Finnish siblings Tikka and Valmet. A couple of weeks ago my wandering mind saw a Gunbroker auction for a Kimber Model 89 BGR (Big Game Rifle). It appeared to be a Super America grade, and underpriced at $1650. Luckily for me, the seller didn't advertise it as a Super America and I was the only bidder. Here's a link to a post I made after the auction but before I received the gun:
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/what-am-i-missing-here.17760/

I picked up the rifle a couple of days ago and here are a few photos. It was built in Colton, Oregon. The M89 was only made from 1989-1991. The M89 is a close copy of a pre-64 Winchester Model 70, as shown in the last two photos. Similarities include a basic Mauser action with controlled feed and claw extractor, Model 70 style swing safety and bolt shroud, swept back bolt handle, and a third action screw between the trigger guard and the magazine. The Kimber lacks the extra screw in the forend that secured the barrel to the stock on the Model 70. Other features from the Model 70 Super Grade include wrap-around checkering, ebony forend tip, and inletted sling swivels. The Model 70 in the photos is a standard grade in .300 H&H with a Super Grade stock. It was built in 1946.

This rifle is a .270. The serial number starts with SA, which I believe stands for Super America. Wood and metal are in excellent condition except for a deep scratch on top of the comb. I can mitigate it somewhat when I have time. The trigger pull is one pound, which I do not consider safe for a hunting rifle. I'll take care of that when I clean, lubricate, and wax the gun. I'm hoping the matte finish will shine up with a few coats of wax.

As far as I know the only maker of scope mounts for this rifle is Talley. For some reason, Kimber made the M89 with three different scope mounts: integral dovetail rails in 11mm ((0.433", also Euro standard for rimfires) and 0.460", as well as a round top with detachable rail or direct mount rings. Mine has an integral rail which mikes at 0.450". I ordered a set of 30mm high rings from Talley to mount a Meopta 3-12x that I got a good deal on a while back. I'm looking forward to getting it all together and seeing how it shoots.

Many thanks to Forum member BigCountry4Me for some excellent information about Kimber rifles and their similarities to a Model 70.

Here are the photos. They aren't the best; if I have time I'll reshoot. M89 BGR-1.JPG M89 BGR-2.JPG M89 BGR-3.JPG M89 BGR-4.JPG M89+M70-1.JPG M89+M70-2.JPG

Just took the Kimber apart and found a couple of mysteries. Hopefully there's an answer out there somewhere.

Mystery #1: Bedding. I had quite a time getting the action out of the stock. Had to use tools and techniques that I don't like to use on an expensive rifle. No harm done, but it made me nervous. It appears that the gun was bedded around the recoil lug, front action ring, and an inch or two of barrel. The compound wasn't stuck to the metal, as it would be if whoever did it hadn't used enough release compound; it was just plain tight. Looks like a very professional job. The question is, did Kimber epoxy bed their actions at the factory, or is this an aftermarket job?

Mystery #2: Trigger. The reason for taking the action out of the stock was to get at the trigger adjustment. Trigger pull was one pound, which I don't consider safe. The trigger setup appears to be identical to a pre-64 Winchester Model 70. However, where the Model 70 trigger mechanism has 3 lock nuts on the adjuster, one on the outside and two on the inside. This one only has one, on the inside by the spring. Did Kimber modify the original design, or is this just something Bubba did to lighten the trigger pull? I think the answer is Bubba, and I'm going to try setting it up like a Model 70 trigger, but I'd be interested to hear if anyone has knowledge of how it left the factory.

Very nice looking Super America icebear. I owned three different 89’s 20 plus years ago. I don’t recall any custom bedding on any of the three. But, I wouldn’t swear to it. I also cannot recall any sort of trigger anomaly such as your experiencing.

There are a few threads out there that do detail some of the Kimber of Oregon’s trials and tribulations. Some of the verbiage speaks to the epoxy bedding, etc. These threads are old and probably should be taken with a grain of salt. However, there seems to be a few from former employees, maybe with an old axe to grind.

I feel the employees were attempting to build a fine product, but as is typical management pooped the bed, so it seems typical- there are great examples, followed by very questionable quality. I had both examples.

My early 84 which is completely different was crafted before the growing pains, and is a fine example of Kimber of Oregon before the wheels came off. I truly hope you’ve got a good one. Take care.

Here are some photos to illustrate the mysteries outlined above. As you can see from the photos, the bedding looks very professional, just the front action ring, the recoil lug, and a few inches of barrel. No overrun, nothing visible when the gun is assembled. The fit of the action is still extremely tight. I think the tightness is on the sides of the recoil lug, as the action will rock back and forth when it is tapped part way in. I can't figure out exactly where the tight spot is, although I kind of suspect around the indexing indent on the bottom left. The matching hump in the bedding is visible at top center in the second photo.

As for the trigger, it looks identical to a Model 70, except two of the three nuts are missing. On a Model 70, there would be a nut on the outside of the opening to secure the shaft, and a second nut on the inside to lock the tension adjustment. The nuts are 6-40; I don't have any that size in my junk box. Hopefully the local Ace Hardware will have some. To make it more difficult, the remaining nut appears to be thinner than a typical hardware store nut. If all else fails I can secure the adjustments with purple Loctite (a special formula to hold adjustments but not totally lock the joint), but I'd rather do it properly.

Here are the photos:
Bedding 1a.jpg Bedding 2a.jpg Trigger 1a.jpg

Hi Icebear,
Just re the bedding job on the BGR, everyone has their way of doing it, just to compare the job done on a L61R I used to have, which I consider Excellant , in the pic attached.
I also had to pull apart the other day, a Kimber 8400 Classic, and it was nearly the same as my old L61R, as the bedding was similiar.
Re the nuts on the trigger, will the nuts that are on the Model 70 CRF models made in the 90’s, as I have one, fit your BGR, if so, you mite be able to get some from a Winchester parts supplier over there. Trigger on mine looks the same.

Attachments

• F678CEDF-0B7A-4A7B-B095-BD38C137B4C1.jpeg
    F678CEDF-0B7A-4A7B-B095-BD38C137B4C1.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 18
The nuts on the trigger adjustment are 6-40 and I found some at Ace Hardware. Put the trigger back together correctly and found that the tension spring is very soft. I was able to get the pull up to a bit more than two pounds before the coils bound. That's acceptable - barely. I'd prefer three; might order a Model 70 part if Brownells carries it.

The bedding is proving to be a tough problem. The recoil lug is bigger than its slot and will not go in without pounding . I've been carving away at the bedding material and things are improving, but I don't want to make a mistake and take off material in the wrong place so it's slow going. It's kind of hard to wrap my mind around this. All I can figure is that the wood must have moved after the bedding was done. You would think that the bedding would have preserved the opening, but apparently there was enough pressure to push in the sides of the slot. I am not going to hammer the barreled action into position; I'll shave the sides of the slot for as long as it takes to get a proper fit.

Here's what the trigger looks like correctly assembled.
Trigger 2a.jpg

That's a very nice-looking rifle, icebear. A nicely-figured American black walnut stock and quality touches like the inletted sling swivel studs. I haven't examined a Kimber 89 BGR action and wonder whether it has the same dimensions and layout re sear and cocking piece as the Kimber 84 and 8400 actions. If it does, there is at least one aftermarket trigger that would work and probably be an improvement over the original M89 trigger--the one made by Triggertech (https://triggertech.ca/collections/bolt-action/products/kimber-model-84).

I hope it will be a good shooter and will look forward to a range report!:)

I have one coming in 280, has a round top. It has rings and bases, but I do not like windage adjustable bases. Anyone know if Talley makes bases to fit a round top BGR. I think mine is a deluxe.

I have one coming in 280, has a round top. It has rings and bases, but I do not like windage adjustable bases. Anyone know if Talley makes bases to fit a round top BGR. I think mine is a deluxe.
I am fairly sure I saw bases and rings for the round top BGR when I was ordering my rings from Talley. Check their website.

I have a Kimber 89 BGR in .300 Win that I've only fired at the bench to sight it in and have never hunted with it. It has Kimber factory rings. It's a very nice rifle, but I'll never shoot it (too many of my Sakos are already being neglected), so if someone is interested in owning it drop me a note via Private Conversation. Will be glad to take some photos.

Here are some photos to illustrate the mysteries outlined above. As you can see from the photos, the bedding looks very professional, just the front action ring, the recoil lug, and a few inches of barrel. No overrun, nothing visible when the gun is assembled. The fit of the action is still extremely tight. I think the tightness is on the sides of the recoil lug, as the action will rock back and forth when it is tapped part way in. I can't figure out exactly where the tight spot is, although I kind of suspect around the indexing indent on the bottom left. The matching hump in the bedding is visible at top center in the second photo.

As for the trigger, it looks identical to a Model 70, except two of the three nuts are missing. On a Model 70, there would be a nut on the outside of the opening to secure the shaft, and a second nut on the inside to lock the tension adjustment. The nuts are 6-40; I don't have any that size in my junk box. Hopefully the local Ace Hardware will have some. To make it more difficult, the remaining nut appears to be thinner than a typical hardware store nut. If all else fails I can secure the adjustments with purple Loctite (a special formula to hold adjustments but not totally lock the joint), but I'd rather do it properly.

Here are the photos:
View attachment 28631 View attachment 28632 View attachment 28633
Great find,
Best of luck, beautiful wood grain, All the best!
B/T

Latest posts

Back