• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Is it a Deluxe, Or Not?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hi, Everyone.

I have just joined this site after having visited it a great deal to research Sako models. The wealth of knowledge and level of enthusiasm here is impressive, to say the least.

Anyway, I have been offered what I am told is a Deluxe 75 .243. I have received photographs from the owner and spoken with him at length on the phone. The rifle appears to have the deep blueing one would expect, as well as the appropriate stock with the rosewood forend. However, the floorplate and trigger guard show no engraving, and this has got me thinking: is it really a Deluxe? My 75 .223 Deluxe has an engraving of a fox on the floorplate and I am lead to believe the .243 should show an image of a deer.

I really want the rifle, but if it's not the real deal, then I am happy to wait for the next opportunity.

Any advice from those more knowledgeable than me would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks and kind regards,

Dom.

Dom-Welcome to the Sako Forums. I can only tell you what I would do in the same circumstance. If I wanted a deluxe and had to pay a deluxe price for it, then I would pass and wait for one with all the expected traits. Sakos are much like pretty girls. There will be another passing by in a short time. Just be patient. It is a rare possibility that it came from the factory that way. We have had some sightings amongst the membership and I think there are a few members that own them. It is also possible that it is a deluxe stock on a standard rifle. Without real good pictures, it would be impossible to know.-Misako

Dom,

Welcome to the club. I believe this topic has been brought before about a couple of these deluxes showing up without the engravings. I dont think there was ever proof either way, just opinions. I have only seen the one on GA or GI that is stated to be a deluxe without the engraving. I have never seen one new in the box like this. All the 75 deluxes NIB that I have seen have all had engraving on them. I only have a couple but I have seen many. I think the only way to confirm this is to ask Sako directly otherwise I would consider it a gamble.

If you dig deep in the many different threads, there are many sellers that either dont know what they are selling or they are outright misrepresting them. It is always best to ask here first. Even some of the older guys get stumped.

Again, welcome and enjoy the ride.

emmerth

Thanks for that, Misako. I tend to agree. The Deluxes are rare here in the UK, but if I could import one from the US....

Many thanks, Dom.

Dom,
Welcome aboard. Glad to hear you have found a good Sako! I was going to compete with emmerth, but neither of us knew you were in the UK. Takes me out of the running - not that you plan not to get it:bigsmile3:. Right?
When you get a second could you visit your profile and in the signature block include "UK" with your name? Members will soon not be able to post in the For Sale, Wanted, or Trade sections if you do not have your location. There has been confusion on some deals in the last year concerning this issue; as emmerth and I "assumed" you were in our locale until your recent post. Thanks.
Again, Welcome!
S-A

Dom, It should show by your name just above the date at the end of your post. May take the server a few minutes to update.
Thanks,
S-A

Dom,

If it has the rosewood forend, then it is more than likely a deluxe. Sako absolutely made a Model 75 Deluxe without the engraving on the trigger guard or floorplate. It is the model with a matte-laquered stock. I used to own one, and there are several members that currently have one. They made the Model 75 Deluxe with either a matte-laquered stock with no engraving or a highly polished glossy stock with all of the engraving traditionally found on the deluxes.

Interesting, Andy, and thanks for the information. The thing is, my other Deluxe has the engraving and I like it! The Deluxe I am chasing is pristine and I would be the second owner, but the guy is asking top dollar and I want everything to be perfect.

Many thanks, Dom.

Dom,
Back on topic. I have two Model 85's and one of them is the Deluxe, I was told by a Beretta/Sako authorized dealer where I ordered the Deluxe that Sako dropped the engraving after the Model 75.
Looks like that "art" will not be seen again. It's a shame. Guess it slows down production. I wonder if it can be special ordered? I'm sure if you wanted one, Beretta would tell you they don't make it, but if the request actually got to the factory that might be a different story. It would cost, for sure.
You might have more luck in the UK pulling that off.
Happy New Year,
S-A

Thanks for the reply. The rifle I am looking at is an as new 75 with Key Concept, so it could well be a very late one. Everything about it suggests Deluxe, but the floorplate is plain, as is the trigger guard. It probably is a Deluxe, but the lack of engraving spoils it a bit for me, I must admit. The price is quite high because the gun is in such good condition, so I guess I want everything about it to be perfect. I am deciding whether to pass this up or not. Deluxes are rare in the UK, so the next opportunity will not come any time soon. If I could import from the States (I don't mind the wait), then that might be a good option. Northernlights has advertised a lovely Forester Deluxe in .243 which would be great, if I could get it here.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again and Happy New Year to everyone.

Kind regards,

Dom.

Dom- From what I can see, it looks like the rifle has the high polish of a deluxe. Very nice looking rifle. It also looks like some noise mechanics going on with it? Hope it is priced right for you. Have a great new year. Hopefully sakochief will weigh in on it before you have to make a decision.-Misako

Yep, that is a Model 75 Deluxe without the engraving. Looks identical to the one that I used to have just a different caliber. It has the deluxe checkering and the rosewood forend. Nice rifle just depending on it you like the high gloss and engraving better than the matte laquer. I actually like the traditional high gloss with the nice engraving, but just my opinion. Good Luck.

Many thanks, Andy. My other deluxe has an oiled stock, which I actually prefer to high gloss, but it has the engraving as well. This rifle could be a goer, then. Now to beat the guy down on price!

Happy New Year, Dom.

S-A,

Can we see a few pics of your Model 85 Deluxe? I haven't seen any available in the US as I thought that the Model 85 Classic replaced the Deluxe model. Anyway, some pictures of a new deluxe would be greatly appreciated.

Back