• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Input requested

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigcountry4me

Sako-addicted
So I have a chance to purchase a Sako-Mauser in .270 Win. I’ve never owned one before. I have owned FN Browning Safari’s in a few calibers in the long distant past. And have had a few standard FN’s

This rifle is in high condition 85-90% by my standards. The wood stock is original (crossbolt etc.) sharp checkering and nicely figured. Correct plastic grip cap. The blue is very good, no rubs, just minor corner wear on the floorplate. 24” barrel with the correct irons. All marks are correct. No Bofors. It comes with Weaver mounts and a throw away scope. It’s obviously been well taken care of. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to photograph it.

Okay here’s the things which give me pause. It has the wing safety and Mauser trigger rather than the #4 with the RH slide safety we all cherish. It also does not have the original plate/pad. It has a nicely executed solid tan decelerator pad. $475. is where it’s at.

Would love to hear thoughts on the non Sako items and whether it would matter. I appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

It has the wing safety and Mauser trigger
That means it is one of the earlier ones, likely pre-1957/8. The ones with the Sako trigger didn't start until around 1957. Nothing at all wrong with it, except the trigger may be heavier than you're accustomed to. That can be fixed with proper gunsmithing -- and there are replacement adjustable triggers made for the Mauser action. As far as the pad, I suspect it is a huge improvement over the original one.

I have a Sako-Mauser in 8x60 that is even earlier in that it has no holes drilled and tapped for scope mounting, so I'll keep it original and only shoot it with iron sights. Being a .318" groove diameter I won't be shooting that many rounds, anyway.

My opinion: $475 is an attractive price. They're asking nearly twice that for pedestrian Rem 700's these days.

Appreciate your insight as always Stone. Have always wanted to pick up a clean Sako- Mauser but they are rarely seen here in my part of the country. Can top it with period Leupold rings and mounts as well as period glass if I pick it up.

Thought $475. was fair too. And as you’ve indicated the cost of vanilla brand bolt rifles are pretty ridiculous. Recently, I’ve thinned out my collection (no Sakos) drastically as I enter (semi) retirement.

paulson states - firearm value won’t make a difference in your retirement. Well he may be somewhat correct, but it can be the means to a new Winnebago travel trailer . Thanks again.

Last edited:
That means it is one of the earlier ones, likely pre-1957/8. The ones with the Sako trigger didn't start until around 1957. Nothing at all wrong with it, except the trigger may be heavier than you're accustomed to. That can be fixed with proper gunsmithing -- and there are replacement adjustable triggers made for the Mauser action. As far as the pad, I suspect it is a huge improvement over the original one.

I have a Sako-Mauser in 8x60 that is even earlier in that it has no holes drilled and tapped for scope mounting, so I'll keep it original and only shoot it with iron sights. Being a .318" groove diameter I won't be shooting that many rounds, anyway.

My opinion: $475 is an attractive price. They're asking nearly twice that for pedestrian Rem 700's these days.

Here is another 8x60 undrilled for sale in Canada. (The link is correct even though it reads anschutz.) Seems a nice rifle, but 8x60 is only for those who know what they are doing.

https://intersurplus.com/collection...s/copie-de-anschutz-1566-in-5-6x57-claw-scope

So after a little back and forth I did end up picking up my first Sako Hi Power in .270 yesterday after finally getting through the most ridiculous background process known to man. It created absolute pandemonium related to purchasing and overwhelmed the state police.

Not sure if anyone has heard, the uninformed voters of this state (narrowly) passed new gun legislation which took affect earlier this month. Fortunately a judge in a future Idaho county has ruled the bill unconstitutional for now. Hopefully as the bill makes it way through the courts it will fall by the wayside. Okay enough of that.

The rifle is in very good shape and had some decent wood, I’ll work the dings soon. The blue is very sharp and clean. Mirror bore. The optic will be removed and replaced. It’s lighter than you’d think. The wood to metal fit is very tight. I was able to pick it up for $435. , plus it came with a couple of boxes of clean vintage ammunition. Sorry for the not so great photos, it’s a very dark winter day today.

Attachments

• 3CB402AD-66C6-448F-BB2F-53C3347F7734.jpeg
    3CB402AD-66C6-448F-BB2F-53C3347F7734.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 35
  • C9EDA07E-E45C-43C9-BB64-76B50FFAD2DB.jpeg
    C9EDA07E-E45C-43C9-BB64-76B50FFAD2DB.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 37
  • 2846E0D5-6EBD-44AF-BA1F-0F21F7742C61.jpeg
    2846E0D5-6EBD-44AF-BA1F-0F21F7742C61.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 36
That's one nice rifle, and the price you paid was a steal. Gorgeous wood. Pad is not original, but at that price, who cares? The scope is interesting. Looks like one of those old rail-mount scopes that Montgomery Ward sold to go with their version of the L57. Are there screw-on Sako dovetails under the scope mounts? If so, that's a nice plus. Scope mounts for an FN are easy to find, but the dovetails just make it more Sako.

Edit: After posting this, I figured out how to blow up the photos of the rifle and I see the scope is a Bushnell with basically the same kind of rail setup, but a somewhat different mount. I couldn't tell if there was a Sako dovetail under there or not. Seeing that makes me wonder if Bushnell might have made the original scopes for Wards, as well.

Here's one of the Ward's Sako scope setups I referred to. This one is 6x. The brand name is Hawthorne; I have no idea who actually made these scopes for MW.
Hawthorne-Sako 1a.jpg Hawthorne-Sako 2a.jpg Hawthorne-Sako 3a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Icebear, I appreciate your input as well. Yeah, wish the pad was original but most likely if it was an old original pad it would be in bad shape as is typical. Maybe it was plastic, I don’t know if theses came both ways. Since it isn’t collectible, the pachmayr is okay with me.

I do have a correct hood to install. And yes, the Bushnell has an underside Weaver rail which attaches to rings, which then attach to Weaver bases. Not my cup of tea. I also have some correct two piece gloss Leupold bases and gloss rings. I will figure out which glass to mount in short order.

Hopefully it’s hog accurate, each year I do a spring hunt in Nor-Cal on a friends ranch. We typically use more vintage rifles for the experience. Thanks.

As far as I know, the Sako High Powers in standard calibers had black plastic buttplates and the magnum calibers had pads. My .30-06 has the buttplate. I love the wood on your rifle.

[QUOTE="icebear, post: 103066, I love the wood on your rifle.[/QUOTE]
Thanks, was a big selling point. I’ll be sure to post a picture or two once I’ve cleaned it up and mounted a different optic on top. Merry Christmas.

Latest posts

Back