• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Hello from Western Pennsylvania.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Bonny

I have 2 Sako rifles and need some guidance on what to do with them. They both have some problems and I didn't realize parts are not available and I need to fine a knowledgeable Sake gunsmith.

What is the nature of the "problems" with your Sakos? If you would describe them here (along with appropriate photos) then perhaps we might be able to help, either with advice, or sometimes members will have spare parts.

I just wrote a lengthy description of my issues to marlin92. Is there some way you can reference that post so I don't have to type it again?

Marlin92 is one of our most knowledgeable members on fixing Sakos and he also keeps a modest supply of older Sako parts, so you've gone to a good place for assistance. If you want to broadcast your needs further you can simply copy and paste your message to Marlin92 to a new post here on this thread.

Here is what BONNY said

I have a Forester 243 that may dad bought new when I was about 6 years old. I am now 65. I was cleaning it the other day and a patch got stuck in the barrel. Once I got it out, the spring that puts tension on the lever that keeps the bolt in place had broke and the bolt does not stay in place anymore. I called the company headquarters in the mid west and they said there are no parts available for Sakos anymore. I need someone to come up with a spring. My other rifle is more complicated I bought it from the original owner. It is a 300 Weatherby Mag Sako with laser porting. I've hunted and shot a lot of game with it, some at 500 yards. It's been all over the west, to Alaska, and to Africa. When I missed I figured it was me. Anyway, I always used Remington factory ammo in it and they quit producing that ammo. I was going to start reloading so, I went to a man I knew locally who built long range guns and had lots of experience reloading. to get help coming up with a load. He loaded many kinds of powder, bullets, primers, shells, etc. and could not get it to shoot a consistent group. He scrubbed the barrel for hours, I swear, with this ammonia cleaner. I never saw anyone clean a gun like that. Finally they got a bore scope and the end of the barrel where the porting was had burrs. So the gunsmith that worked with him took the rifling out at the end of the barrel where the porting was. I was not there to watch how it shot but he said it still did not group. They then took off the end of the barrel where the ports were. Evidently, this did not help either. Now I don't know what to do. I really liked that rifle and I guess I was happier when it was the way it was and I didn't know about it's problems. I was going to get a new barrel but I don't know of that is possible. When I talked to the place in the mid west they told me about crowning but I'm at a loss as to what to do. Any suggestions?

Sounds like a broken bolt stop spring on the Forester.
The barrel on the 300 weatherby mag has apparently had barrel cut but not re-crowned as yet. Could possibly convert to 7mm or 300 H&H

Last edited:
Bonny, look in the top right corner of the forum page for inbox , click on it to see my message, Jim

Latest posts

Back