• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Guide to installing old style Sako rings

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bigbear

Could someone point me to a guide to proper installation of old style Sako rings. I am curious if the small screws on the left side of the rings should be set exactly the same. I just put a scope on a Mannlicher stocked L579 Forester's rifle. Haven't had a chance to zero rifle due to heavy snow. I have a DeLuxe Finnbear to scope next.

I have read the 2016 discussion on here

How to mount/adjust vintage Sako scope mounts? | Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum
Not clear why you need special screw driver bits??

ideally , instructions with good pics would be ideal,I just don't want towreck the rings.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Greetings bigbear,
I would think if you snug the screws alternately, There would be a similar distance from one side to the other, but not exactly the same? I am assuming you are talking about the split ring halves. Mine aren't the same!! but close.
If you mean the screws on the ring mounts that go on the action, they allow you to slide the rings fwd, & aft. to get a rough windage alignment before mounting the scope for proper eye relief. The mounts are tapered for that reason. I hope I am understanding your question and maybe another member can do a better job of answering & helping. B/T

Hopefully this helps, pics of scope mounted on my rifle and most importantly the two little adjustment(?) screws I am inquiring about:
4NYU7a6l.jpg

6jWX81Vl.jpg

The two adjusting nuts on the left side of the rings are to control centering and windage adjustment. They work on the principle of opposing force - slack off the big thumb nut and tighten the small adjustment nut and the ring moves to the right - slacken the adjustment nut and take up on the thumb nut and it moves right.

Here's a step by step of how I install a scope in traditional Sako rings. Before installing the scope, be sure that the windage adjustment is centered.
1. Remove the upper ring halves. Be sure to keep them separate so you know which upper half goes to which lower. The vertical grooves on the right hand side of the ring tell you how to orient the upper when you reinstall it.
2. Begin with the rear ring, which has an alignment pin on the bottom. Slack off both the thumb nut and the adjuster nut until the ring will slide all the way to the stop. Then snug down the nuts until the ring is centered and the clamps are almost tight. Verify that the clamps are the same distance from the center. I do this by eyeballing the gap between the clamp and the base of the ring.
3. Now take the front ring and center the clamps loosely enough that you can slide the ring fore and aft. Set the scope in the rings and determine where you have to put the front ring to get your desired eye position. Snug down the nuts until they grip the dovetail and the ring is centered. Confirm centering sin step 2.
4. Install the upper ring halves, being careful to get the correct upper on each lower and that the index marks are on the same side. The gap between the upper and lower ring halves should be the same on each side. The screws should be semi-snug, but with enough play that the scope can be rotated to align the crosshairs.
5. Tighten the thumb nuts with your fingers. They should move very little so that the rings remain centered. Then get your reticle vertical, make your final adjustment for eye relief, and tighten the ring screws. The ring screws should be tightened a little bit at a time, alternating sides, until they feel right.
6. Tighten the thumb nuts using a Weaver type ring tool. Do not use a regular screwdriver, you'll bugger the slots.

IMPORTANT: USE THE RIGHT TOOLS!
It is absolutely imperative to use a proper size, parallel ground gunsmith's screwdriver on the ring screws. A hardware store screwdriver will bugger the slots. The proper tool for the thumb nuts is a Weaver ring tool, available from Brownells. Do not over tighten the thumb nuts! It is possible to bend the studs if the nuts are overtightened.

Here's a link to a thread with complete information on the proper tools to install and adjust Sako rings.
https://sakocollectors.com/forum/threads/sako-scope-ring-tips-use-the-proper-tools.13883/

Thanks a million Icebear. i am away from home a few days but for sure I will go over the way I did it, untutored.

Latest posts

Back