• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Glass-Bedding a Sako 85

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

South Pender

I've done a search on this forum to see whether it had already been discussed. Nothing came up.

I'm wondering whether anyone has attempted this--what with the strange recoil-lug assembly on the 85s. Looking at it on my 85, it looks as though it could be strengthened somewhat by judicious application of Devcon or other glass compound.

Anyone with experience with this?

I have done a couple. In my opinion the main benefit in the case of 85 is taking out all the side to side sloppiness from the stock inlet.

Strength hasn't been a concern. More important to stock strength is the rear cross bolt. Occasionally they come loose on their own I guess due to wood shrinkage, or perhaps they weren't that tight to begin with.

I've done a search on this forum to see whether it had already been discussed. Nothing came up.

I'm wondering whether anyone has attempted this--what with the strange recoil-lug assembly on the 85s. Looking at it on my 85, it looks as though it could be strengthened somewhat by judicious application of Devcon or other glass compound.

Anyone with experience with this?

I am interested in bedding my 85 too. It has a nasty habit of throwing flyers. I'm a little reluctant to touch it but can't live with it the way it is.

Did you ever do any more with yours?

I am interested in bedding my 85 too. It has a nasty habit of throwing flyers. I'm a little reluctant to touch it but can't live with it the way it is.

Did you ever do any more with yours?
Hi Susquatch. No I haven't tried to glass bed my Sako 85. P04R's comments above may well be relevant if you're experiencing flyers.

Hi Susquatch. No I haven't tried to glass bed my Sako 85. P04R's comments above may well be relevant if you're experiencing flyers.

Not really. I've shimmed it enough to know that isn't the cause. There is a little vertical stress in the action that I see with an indicator mounted at the end of the forearm. Pretty sure that is what is causing it. But I'm reluctant to touch it.

Model 85 receivers are often bowed more or less. If the action screws are trying to pull the action straight it adds spring tension to the system and it's not good. Having the action glass bedded will give the action matching (bowed) surface to lay on, so the springiness is eliminated. Can't promise that is the fix for your issue, but it is one thing to try.

Model 85 receivers are often bowed more or less. If the action screws are trying to pull the action straight it adds spring tension to the system and it's not good. Having the action glass bedded will give the action matching (bowed) surface to lay on, so the springiness is eliminated. Can't promise that is the fix for your issue, but it is one thing to try.

Do you think shimming could be used to good effect? Bedding is so permanent. The Sako bedding system is already a big shim, so I'm just thinking about expanding on that.

Do you think shimming could be used to good effect? Bedding is so permanent. The Sako bedding system is already a big shim, so I'm just thinking about expanding on that.
My experience with shimming is very limited. Only thing I have used them for has been raising the receiver out of a overly deep factory stock to get the bolt clear the wood and barrel free of the barrel channel. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for proper bedding.

My experience with shimming is very limited. Only thing I have used them for has been raising the receiver out of a overly deep factory stock to get the bolt clear the wood and barrel free of the barrel channel. I wouldn't consider it a replacement for proper bedding.

I wasn't thinking of it as a replacement. Only as a temporary measure to evaluate the potential improvement.

Bottom line is that I don't want to make a permanent change unless it is warranted. I do know the bedding is off a wee bit. I don't know if it matters. I also don't know the impact of that flaky recoil plate. I was thinking perhaps some shims would help decide if it's worth it. So I'm looking for some feedback from others as to whether or not it works temporarily enough to know how to proceed permanently.

Latest posts

Back