• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

FN-Sako Serial Numbers?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

icebear

Sako-addicted
Anyone have a clear idea how many of these were built, or what is the highest known serial number? Arma Fennica and other sources say the numbering began at 101,000. The highest number in my collection is around 106900. So, what's the highest FN-Sako High Power serial number you own or are familiar with? And when posting a serial number, please indicate whether it has a classic or Monte Carlo stock, and if it has a bolt safety or a trigger safety. Maybe the collective wisdom can put together some sequence and numbers on these rather neat firearms.

My two rifles:
108049 - .30-06, bolt safety, Monte Carlo stock
106989 - .300 H&H, custom stock, Timney trigger with trigger safety

Icebear, this is definitely out of my wheelhouse, but, in trying to respond to Lolocalcio’s post of yesterday in the General Sako Discussions subforum, I nosed around a little on the Sako Mauser subforum and found your thread. Lolocalcio’s FN Sako evidently has serial number 112433. It appears in the photo of the underside of the bolt. His has the side trigger-blocking safety and classic stock.

Last edited:
Thanks. That extends our knowledge of the serial number range. I find it interesting that a classic style stock shows up on a late-production gun. I had always thought that the stock pattern for the FN-Sako was more or less parallel to the L46, with the earliest guns having classic stocks and then a transition to Monte Carlo. Apparently it's more complicated than that. I seem to recall that Stonecreek has posted that he has seen other high-number guns with classic stocks.

My Hi-Power is serial number 3 (at least that's the only number stamped on it) with no number etched on the bolt. It has no caliber stamping & a buttstock that is a cross between a classic pancake cheekpiece & a Monte Carlo comb. The barrel is stamped perpendicular to the bore in front of the action with "Ab Sako Oy" & "Riihimaki Finland" I'm not sure we can pin down anything that is completely definitive about the features of these early Sako long actions, but it will be fun seeing what members have to offer about theirs. Good idea, icebear!!

The Sako-Mausers don't appear in the inspection records, but they do show up in the shipping records. The latest I can find are 10 in .375 H&H shipped in January of 1967. Unlike the rest of the Sako family, these used serial numbers much closer to chronological order. The highest number among these 10 rifles was 113955.

There were also four Sako-Mausers in .300 H&H in inventory in 1967, but only one of them was shipped, so three were still in inventory at the end of 1967. However, I can't find any record showing that those three were ever shipped.

By the way, there were also 32 L46s in 7x33 shipped in 1967. That's six years after the L461 supposedly supplanted the L46, and many years after most assumed that the 7x33, dating from 1946, was obsolete. There were also 58 L469 in .222 Magnum shipped in 1967. There's always something totally surprising showing up in these old records.

Arma Fennica and other sources say the numbering began at 101,000.
The earliest Sako-Mausers in the shipping records were shipped in 1952 and the numbering is in the 103,000's. Whether there were earlier ones which for some reason don't show up in the records or whether they started with the 103,000's I can't say.

I own a Sako-Mauser in .30-06 in a late Deluxe version, and an 8x60 in an early version. I'll post photos when I can get to it along with serial numbers and dates shipped.

I double-checked my sources and the best one stated that production started in 1951 with S/N 100001. That's consistent with your information that guns in the 102000 range were shipped in 1952.

It is conceivable that production began in 1951 but none were shipped until 1952 -- but the handwritten ledger records from 70 years ago, copied from paper onto microfiche, then copied digitally, may or may not be complete. So, if anyone runs across a Sako-Mauser with a serial number lower than 103000 please let us know!

I believe original but I’ll take a closer look. The original pad was collapsed & crumbling when I got it some years back.
But it shoots very well. .300 H&H way underrated & I prefer it over the .300WM.

Here are my three Sako-Mausers. (Click on photos to enlarge)

Top is an 8x60 (not 8x60S which Sako also made in the Sako-Mauser). It has the .318" groove diameter. Note the blued bolt, which I believe is original since the rest of the gun appears so. Receiver is NOT drilled and tapped for scope bases and it has the bolt safety. SN 104470 shipped in 1953.

Middle is a .30-06 in the rare (only one I've ever seen) Deluxe. It has Monte Carlo stock and the same skipline checkering as the L-series Deluxes; and has the Fishgods floorplate. Sako #4 trigger. Serial number 111690 shipped in December 1959. (Pad replaced)

Bottom is a .270 Mannlicher with full 24.4" barrel. It's also the only one I've ever seen. Stock checkering is identical to the contemporaneous L46. Sako #4 trigger. Serial number 110257, shipping date not found. (Pad added)

Sako-Mau3r.jpg

Blued bolt on 8x60:
Sako-Mau2r.jpg

Fishgods floorplate on Deluxe .30-06:
Sako-Maur.jpg

Here are my three Sako-Mausers. (Click on photos to enlarge)

Top is an 8x60 (not 8x60S which Sako also made in the Sako-Mauser). It has the .318" groove diameter. Note the blued bolt, which I believe is original since the rest of the gun appears so. Receiver is NOT drilled and tapped for scope bases and it has the bolt safety. SN 104470 shipped in 1953.

Middle is a .30-06 in the rare (only one I've ever seen) Deluxe. It has Monte Carlo stock and the same skipline checkering as the L-series Deluxes; and has the Fishgods floorplate. Sako #4 trigger. Serial number 111690 shipped in December 1959. (Pad replaced)

Bottom is a .270 Mannlicher with full 24.4" barrel. It's also the only one I've ever seen. Stock checkering is identical to the contemporaneous L46. Sako #4 trigger. Serial number 110257, shipping date not found. (Pad added)

View attachment 34726

Blued bolt on 8x60:
View attachment 34727

Fishgods floorplate on Deluxe .30-06:
View attachment 34728
Quite possibly the finest collection of rare Sako-Mauser rifles in Known Space. Each piece has its own flavor of uniqueness.

Quite possibly the finest collection of rare Sako-Mauser rifles in Known Space. Each piece has its own flavor of uniqueness.
I have a friend from another country who visits on occasion and always chooses the Sako-Mauser Deluxe .30-06 to hunt with. As I recall he has taken three whitetails with it.
012 (1024x576).jpg
I haven't hunted with either of the other two, but do intend to use the 8x60 with open sights to take at least one management doe this coming year. I may carry the .270 Mannlicher out sometime between now and fall to hunt feral hogs. Every Sako deserves to leave its safe now and again for a foray into the field as they were intended.

Latest posts

Back