• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

FN Mauser SAKO question.

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

tinnoker

Looked at a FN Mauser today that intersted me, It had a goergeos stock with cheek piece on it. Had the FN reciever with cross over safety, The barrel had step downs from the reciever to the muzzle about 3 of them and believe the butt pad was redish in color. Caliber 8mm. Other than that I did'nt see any SAKO markings. Anyone heard of a SAKO step down Barrel ? Newbe requesting assistance, Thank You.

tinnoker- Might you have been looking at the old Browning Safari with the FN action and the step barrel. I think the Sako high power has a staight (non stepped) tappered barrel.-Misako

To my knowledge, Browning didn't chamber anything in their Safari series in 8mm. However, Sako did build some 8x60 rifles on the FN action. I can't say whether they used a step barrel. Also, FN marketed its own rifle that was very similar to the Browning and the Sako, and it may have been offered in 8x57, 8x60, or 8x60S (the difference in the two 8x60's is that the non-S uses a .318" bore and the S uses a .323 bore.)

Hold the phone! I just remembered where I saw a Sako 8x60 for sale. I looked at the photo and it doesn't appear to have a stepped barrel. Here's a link where you can look for yourself:
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_i...=8801&osCsid=2de9f77742a2439f304a415f7e71c841

Well I had to back and take another peek at it. It only had a four number serial number, Not the 100,000 as I read in another post SAKO's apperantly wood have. I could'nt find SAKO or Finland anywhere on her. It had the same front site as the SAKO stonecreek download had. There were proof marks all over it in the shape of a bird with super small numbers undernieth. Cant find anything close to them in my blue book.

The bird thing rings a bell, tinnoker. I think there was something on Gunbroker .com forums about the rifle. I don't think anybody ever figured it out so it looks like your work is cut out for you.-Misako

Latest posts

Back