• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnbear scope mounting question, also where can I get the wrench to take my Sako apart?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I bought a used 270 Sako Finnbear L61R.
It came with a Redfield Widefield scope, with Leupold mounts.
I bought a used Leupold Rifleman scope to install on the rifle.
When the dovetail mounts are used, there is just enough tube for the scope mounts before you hit the "bells" on the scope, so there will be no eye relief adjustment.
Besides using the scope on a different rifle, or buying a different scope, is there a scope mount I can use to fit a shorter tube length?
Also, I'm looking for the "pin wrench" to disassemble the rifle, any ideas on where to find one?
Thanks
Jim

Hello - Try the original Sako ringmounts. They are strong, flexible and well made. They also offer the ability to adjust windage. Good luck!

To disassemble a Finnbear (or almost any bolt action rifle), all you need is a snug-fitting screwdriver to remove the two action screws. The only use for a "pin wrench" (often referred to as a spanner wrench) is to remove the crossbolt, which is seldom necessary. You should get a driver with a parallel-ground blade, not the tapered blade of ordinary screwdrivers. The best thing to do would be to buy an inexpensive gunsmith screwdriver set with a magnetic handle and interchangeable tips. If you use an ordinary screwdriver on gun screws, sooner or later you will bugger the heads because those screwdrivers will slip out of the slot. When removing a Sako action from the stock, be sure to keep track of the shims that go between the stock and the action.

As far as scope mounts go, the best way I know to mount a short scope on a Sako long action is a set of Warne rings. The rear ring keys on the front of the dovetail instead of the slot in the back, and the recoil stop is on the front ring, which sits at the rear of the front dovetail. They are not cheap or easy to find. Brownells or Midway might have them, and I think you can order them directly from Warne. Scope selection for the long action Sako can be a problem for just the reason you discovered - there's no easy way to mount a short scope. Regular Sako rings will have the same problem as the Leupold rings. When I am buying a scope for a specific gun, I always measure to be sure it will fit.

EAW swing mounts with an offset front ring will work perfectly, but they cost more than your scope so you probably aren't interested in those. They are also somewhat complex to install.

Weaver mounts might also work. The Weaver mounts slide onto the dovetail and allow you to use Weaver-style rings. I don't use them on Sakos so I can't say for sure that they would solve your problem. One thing I do know for sure is that the Weaver rings are held in place with set screws. The set screws will permanently mar the checkered bridges of the Sako. The solution is either to replace the set screws with brass or leave them off entirely. If the Weaver bases are a decent fit on your gun, you can leave the set screws off and just drive them onto the dovetails with a soft-faced mallet or punch. Recoil will tend to tighten the fit. A recent post in another thread recommends putting a slightly oversize piece of lead shot in the hole for the set screw. The lead will smear and help hold the base in place.

Finally, you might be able to use old-fashioned Redfield turn-in mounts with an offset front ring. I think you can get offset rings for those mounts. If you use turn-in mounts, be sure NOT to use the scope as a wrench to turn the front ring. I've got a set of those mounts you can have cheap, but I don't have any offset rings and I'm not dead sure they are available. You can check with Brownells or Midway, or check eBay. Redfield is now part of Leupold; I don't know what they have done with the Redfield line of mounts.

By the way, I am assuming that by "Leupold mounts" you mean the Leupold rings that clamp directly onto the Sako dovetail, not Leupold's version of Redfield-style turn-in mounts. If you have turn-in mounts, you can just look for an offset front ring.

Here's a photo of the Warne rings on an AIII Finnbear. The scope is a 1.75-6x Leupold VX-III, which is too short to mount on a Finnbear with conventional rings (including original Sako rings). This is by far the best and most elegant solution to putting a short scope on a long action Sako.

AIII Carbine 30-06 2.JPG

Last edited:
Very informative, Thanks.
I don't know jack about centerfire rifles, this one is my first, I'm 62 years old.
I'd have had the gun torn down, and wondered what all the extra parts were about. LOL
Lesson learned on scope tube length, never thought about it before.
Does Leupold make a scope that would fit on the long Sako action.
Thanks again
Jim

No one makes Sako specific scope and there is really no need to.

The aspects are the front of the scope size, ring height to allow that to clear. I have mounted a Redfield (now made by Leuo0-pld) Revolution on an LR61 action just fine.

You might look at Megagpro screw drivers. These beat any gun smith screw drivers I have come across. A lot of different bits and a lot of different trades (HVAC, ELECTRIC< SECURITY)

The tips are outstanding, not lost or even wore one yet. I have 4 (one at work and 3 at home). I have mixed and matched for the common slot, Phillips, hex and torqx bits you find for scope mounts.

No one makes Sako specific scope and there is really no need to.

The aspects are the front of the scope size, ring height to allow that to clear. I have mounted a Redfield (now made by Leuo0-pld) Revolution on an LR61 action just fine.

You might look at Megagpro screw drivers. These beat any gun smith screw drivers I have come across. A lot of different bits and a lot of different trades (HVAC, ELECTRIC< SECURITY)

The tips are outstanding, not lost or even wore one yet. I have 4 (one at work and 3 at home). I have mixed and matched for the common slot, Phillips, hex and torqx bits you find for scope mounts.
Good suggestion. Many years ago, I purchased the Brownells multi-bit magnetic-tip screwdriver set and then added a few additional Allen-head bits and the necessary Torx bits. It has served me very well, taking care of just about all gun-related tinkering I've undertaken. I think I've broken the tips of one or two of the bits, but these are easily replaced individually.
https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-...58-bit-master-screwdriver-set-prod143490.aspx

Last edited:
As far as scope mounts go, the best way I know to mount a short scope on a Sako long action is a set of Warne rings. The rear ring keys on the front of the dovetail instead of the slot in the back, and the recoil stop is on the front ring, which sits at the rear of the front dovetail. They are not cheap or easy to find. Brownells or Midway might have them, and I think you can order them directly from Warne. Scope selection for the long action Sako can be a problem for just the reason you discovered - there's no easy way to mount a short scope. Regular Sako rings will have the same problem as the Leupold rings. When I am buying a scope for a specific gun, I always measure to be sure it will fit.
View attachment 14780
That's a nice-looking setup on your AIII Finnbear, icebear. I assume that they slide onto the Sako dovetail and don't require separate bases. As far as I can tell, though, Warne no longer makes them. I think it's possible to make the Leupold Sako ring mounts work with a scope with short mounting space. They don't have the stud on the rear mount, and so you can locate the rear ring further forward on the rear dovetail and then set the front ring as far to the rear of the front dovetail as possible. I don't know what effect this would have on windage, but you'd probably have enough windage adjustment in the scope for this to work out. And I suppose you could do the same with the Sako-made Optilock ring mounts by filing the stud off the rear ring

hat's a nice-looking setup on your AIII Finnbear, icebear. I assume that they slide onto the Sako dovetail and don't require separate bases. As far as I can tell, though, Warne no longer makes them.
That is correct, Warne no longer makes rings for the older model Sakos.They can, however, be found from time to time on eBay. You have to be careful what you are getting - Warne has also made rings for the 75/85. If I remember correctly, the rings for older Sakos are Warne Premier and the newer versions are Warne Maxima - but I'd have to verify that. Warne also makes those rings for Tikka.

On the question of screwdrivers, I'm with you on the Brownells set - it's the best. I've got their big set with 40-odd bits and in a few seconds I can find a precisely fitting screwdriver blade for almost any screw. To work on many European guns, it's necessary to add #1 and #2 thickness blades. The blades in the set only go down to #3, which is fine for almost all American guns, but in Europe they often use thinner screw slots. And as you say, Torx bits are a necessity. It's also handy to have a couple of different handles. A lot of guys like the police armorer's handle, which is smaller and has less leverage, and a non-magnetic handle is handy for those occasions when you do NOT want the screw to stick to the screwdriver. Brownells also sells special sets with just the right blades for specific guns. I have their Smith & Wesson revolver set.

I looked up the Megapro drivers on their website and that is more of a general purpose set than a gunsmith's set. There isn't nearly enough of an assortment of straight blades, and there's a lot of stuff like square and triangle that isn't relevant to guns. I keep something similar in my all-purpose carry-around tool box, but not to work on guns. A couple of the gun accessory makers do make screwdrivers that carry some blades in the handle; these are handy for the range bag.

That is correct, Warne no longer makes rings for the older model Sakos.They can, however, be found from time to time on eBay. You have to be careful what you are getting - Warne has also made rings for the 75/85. If I remember correctly, the rings for older Sakos are Warne Premier and the newer versions are Warne Maxima - but I'd have to verify that. Warne also makes those rings for Tikka.
Yes, unfortunately, Warne no longer makes any rings for the Sako dovetail. Keep in mind that any rings made for the 75/85 would work on the older models as well since the dovetail has not changed from the earliest models up to the 85. So your suggestion to look on eBay is a good one (and you could also scan GunBroker, Guns America, and Guns International); you might get lucky. They would be a nice solution to the short scope/long action problem.

as well since the dovetail has not changed from the earliest models up to the 85.
I see that online all the time, yet I also see complaints that some Optilocks won't align on older guns, even if the box is marked for those actions. As for the Warne mounts, there's a post on the forum by a member who checked them for fit on the older actions and the newer (Maxima) rings did not fit and the older (Premier, IIRC) did. I believe the problems are with alignment, not with the rings actually fitting on the dovetails. I cannot speak from personal experience as I don't use Optilocks, I've never owned a 75/85, and I've never personally attempted to mount the Warne Maxima for Sako rings on an older rifle.

I found the relevant post, by Gowyo about a year ago:
I'm a fan of Warne mounts too. Be aware the current maxima series rings for the 75/85 models likely will not work on older models. I've tried. I have found the non-QD mounts, but they are rare

When I inquired about Warne mounts for the Sako dovetail, this is the reply I received from the Warne rep:

"You are correct. In the past we did offer these rings but we do not anymore.
I would suggest getting in touch with Talley Manufacturing. They have the rings you are needing. Link below."

So the current Maxima rings will not attach directly to the dovetail on any Sako--75/85 or older. Perhaps the reference to Sako 75/85 was with respect to installing separate Warne bases to which the Maxima rings would attach. Unfortunately, the Talley rings he recommends are of the base and ring variety—i.e., requiring a base being added to the Sako dovetail with the rings attaching to that base. There are lots of that type of mount for Sakos, but I think most of us would prefer mounts that attach directly to the dovetail without extra bases--like the older Warne mounts on icebear's Finnbear.

When I inquired about Warne mounts for the Sako dovetail, this is the reply I received from the Warne rep:

"You are correct. In the past we did offer these rings but we do not anymore.
I would suggest getting in touch with Talley Manufacturing. They have the rings you are needing. Link below."

So the current Maxima rings will not attach directly to the dovetail on any Sako--75/85 or older. Perhaps the reference to Sako 75/85 was with respect to installing separate Warne bases to which the Maxima rings would attach. Unfortunately, the Talley rings he recommends are of the base and ring variety—i.e., requiring a base being added to the Sako dovetail with the rings attaching to that base. There are lots of that type of mount for Sakos, but I think most of us would prefer mounts that attach directly to the dovetail without extra bases--like the older Warne mounts on icebear's Finnbear.
Warne used to make a ring set labeled Maxima for Sako; I've seen photos of the package. This was a direct-mounting ring set for the 75/85. I was surprised when I saw it, because I was accustomed to their long-standing Maxima line of Weaver-base rings. I have the Weaver-style Maximas on a couple of guns. Their Tikka and CZ rings are also sold under the Maxima product line and so listed on the website. I have a set of the Maxima-Tikka rings; I'll post a photo if I can find the package. As you say, Warne no longer makes any rings for Sako dovetails, but rings marked "Maxima for Sako" can be found on eBay. If I were looking for Warne rings for an L or A series Sako now, I would stick with the older ones marked "Premier." Of course, on eBay, Gunbroker, etc. you're going to find used rings without the packaging. In that case I would ask the seller what gun the rings came off of and how old he thinks they are - and whether he would take a return!

I looked up the Talley website. They list bases that slide onto Sako dovetails, but not rings that attach directly to Sako dovetails. I like Talley rings, but the Sako bases on top of the dovetails elevate the scope higher than I prefer. https://www.talleymanufacturing.com

Yes, I too like Talley mounts, but as you say, they don't make rings that go directly onto the Sako dovetail without bases. I have Talley mounts on most of my other rifles, however, rimfire and centerfire. I like the appearance of the steel vertical split-ring design--quite elegant, yet functional and strong.

Here are the Talley bases for the Sako dovetail:

MrSnapz.jpg

As can be seen, they are secured with two screws torqued down onto the checkered top of the receiver.

Last edited:
Regarding the special Sako tool for disassembly do you mean to help remove and replace the cocking piece/firing pin plus spring?
At one stage I believe these were supplied in new the box with later Sako rifles… I got mine on UK eBay, it certainly makes reassembling the bolt dead easy and works with both the L series and A series. 2EF60868-1594-4DF5-ACF5-737971A1BC7F.jpeg E32D2C82-AC33-4C40-9745-0BB763762DBC.jpeg

Regarding the special Sako tool for disassembly do you mean to help remove and replace the cocking piece/firing pin plus spring?
At one stage I believe these were supplied in new the box with later Sako rifles… I got mine on UK eBay, it certainly makes reassembling the bolt dead easy and works with both the L series and A series.View attachment 26997View attachment 26998
Thanks for posting. I've never seen that tool before. Have succeeded in taking a Sako bolt apart with ordinary tools, but that would make it easier.

At one stage I believe these were supplied in new the box with later Sako rifles… I got mine on UK eBay, it certainly makes reassembling the bolt dead easy and works with both the L series and A series.View attachment 26997View attachment 26998
Thanks for posting. I've never seen that tool before. Have succeeded in taking a Sako bolt apart with ordinary tools, but that would make it easier.

At one stage I believe these were supplied in new the box with later Sako rifles… I got mine on UK eBay, it certainly makes reassembling the bolt dead easy and works with both the L series and A series.
Yes, the Sako 85s come with a plastic device referred to as a “cocking wrench.” It is shaped to slip over the 85 bolt shroud and give you a grip on the shroud to move the cocking piece out of the holding notch and disassemble the bolt if desired. It's available from the Beretta USA website--labelled "Sako Cocking Wrench for 85 series."

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/gun-a...-gun-tools/sako-cocking-wrench-for-85-series/
ej8b7LF.jpg
RC2pRSO.jpg

Last edited:
Back