• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Broken Extractor

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

buster_nw

Hi All,
I took my new, never fired L61R to the range for the first time today. Things were going just peachy for the first few shots, until I went to eject a spent round. The bolt came back just fine, but no cartridge. Well upon closer inspection, the extractor had come off the bolt!
I was able to reinstall the extractor and the pin that "holds it in place," but I have to admit that I do not have a lot of confidence in this system heading into elk season.
Has anyone else had a problem with their extractor falling out? Any permanent fixes, or was this just a freak thing? I want to like (and trust) this rifle, but I have to say that right now, it isn't exactly living up to the Sako reputation.
Buster

Buster- Time to get it to a qualified smith and hope he can take a look at it before elk season. Broken extractors are not rare but also not commonplace. Has anyone gotten a poorly formed round stuck in the chamber? -Misako

Interesting you mention the poorly formed round, Misako. The case that remained in the chamber when the extractor came out was later removed and had a substantial "dent" in the neck. These are factory loads. I wondered about the coincidence, but not sure how a dented cartridge neck could lead to a damaged extractor?

I have only had one experience with a broken extractor. The guy was using the rifle's chamber to test the reloads and got a cartridge case stuck. He then broke the extractor and told no one he did it. He put the pieces back in the bolt and when it was next used- you know the story. Fortunately an excellent smith made a new extractor in minutes and the rifle was back in business. That was 50 yrs. ago and the rifle is still in the family.-Misako

Misako,

When I read all that I somehow agree with Layne Simpson who said the Sako Hi Power rifles were the

best Sako ever made. Wouldn't have happened and will not happen with them.....
t.gif

SS

A Sako extractor can become dislodged (without damage) by a blast of gas from a failed cartridge case (whether due to excessive pressure or some other cause). The "dent in the neck" sounds very suspicious, but without looking at the case in question it is difficult to say if it was related to the dislodging of the extractor.

As to dependability, I have had a couple of extractors dislodged (blown off!) in this manner. However, in each instance I was able to recover the extractor, plunger, and spring and reassemble the assembly. They continue to work fine.

Good to know, Stone. Thanks for sharing. I'll try to get a picture up of the cartridge case in question. When I really looked at it last night, I noticed that there were some powder burns around the outside of the cartridge neck. Not a lot, but this was not consistent with the other fired casings.

SS!
sserlachius said:
Misako,When I read all that I somehow agree with Layne Simpson who said the Sako Hi Power rifles were thebest Sako ever made. Wouldn't have happened and will not happen with them..... SS
They sure are nice! I bash myself to sleep every night for selling a complete HiPower including hood! For close to nothing!! Ignorance is bliss?? Hardly! More like a severe pain you all know where!!:wink2:
I could easily see myself with a pair of Sako Magnum Mausers in .300H&H and .375H&H!!!
All the best!
Jim

Sorry it has been awhile since I posted. I was shooting in my new scope on the Sako when the extractor broke after the 5th shot. Jammed up the action real good.

Brought it to Gunsmithing Inc. in Southport Ct. where, after an exhaustive search, Mitch found the right extractor and I have my gun back. I will try to sight it in this week.

Found out some interesting facts about the gun. It was made in the early 70's and the engraving is factory. I posted some pictures awhile ago so you can review them if you are interested in the engraving part.

Didn't know it was so hard to get Sako parts. Beretta told me to look online at GunsAmerica and Shotgun News. Big Help! Not!

Latest posts

Back