• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions Birch 7x33

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

paulsonconstruction

Sako-addicted
Finally finish the restoration of a 1947 L46 chambered in 7x33 Sako & had a couple questions for the crew. It was a wreck when I got it & required some welding to the bolt handle & removing the butchered up rear sight base that was missing the ladder so I could solder on a complete rear sight. I also had to fab a part for the magazine. Some of the guns Red Rock is bringing in from Finland are pretty rough, so Caveat Emptor! I still haven't got the safety working right! I am curious about the bolt handle & the cut out for it in the stock. Factory? Done by others? I haven't handled any L46's from the 40's so am ignorant of this type of bolt set up. Also, does anyone recognize the one change from
original that I made, other than the polished bolt handle? Bloo, you don't get to answer that one. ;)
Birch 7x33 Birch 7x33 Birch 7x33 Birch 7x33 Birch 7x33

Nice...
Has anyone noticed how much the L46 rifles have skyrocketed in asking price in the last 6 months?
I'm seeing them everywhere. All it takes is one good high priced sale and they seem to come out of the safes
everywhere. Wish I had bought more of them when I had the chance a while ago...

Attachments

• Birch 7x33
    Sako222aaa.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Birch 7x33
    Sako222h.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Birch 7x33
    Sako222kf.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 20
Very cool rifle PC
Good to see and understand the love you put into the old gem.
The rear sight is a perfect improvement with good room for optics.
The bolt handle doesn’t look like anything I’ve ever seen from Sako’s production guns of the period, but one needs to keep in mind that Sako was doing things to other rifles during that time as well as a few side projects by the smiths that worked there. No surprise for me to find that the modification was done by Sako. It’s also possible that it was done by a Finnish smith independently.
Some of the guns that Red Rock has recently introduced here in the US are things a bit different from what I have been in experience with. I also agree that the conditions of most of them are rather poor. As Arian has pointed out..most of these rifles are coming from crates in the basements of gun shops all over Finland.
Saving relics and rarities is still a good thing and the conditions do help to keep it affordable for those who just want one for field use and fancy. Seldom seen till now…I for one appreciate it!
Glad to see you got that put back together PC, it is a very interesting piece.
What seems to be the problem with the safety?

Nice Cap too!

Safety won't engage. The cocking piece doesn't appear to be held back far enough when in the cocked position for the safety lever to cam into place. Had the bolt apart at least a dozen times. Everything works when out of the rifle. I'm hesitant to start grinding to change the cocking piece camming surface, which I "think" will solve the problem, because parts, if needed, would be near impossible to replace. It's a head scratcher so I decided to walk away for a while & come back to it when I'm less frustrated.

Safety won't engage. The cocking piece doesn't appear to be held back far enough when in the cocked position for the safety lever to cam into place. Had the bolt apart at least a dozen times. Everything works when out of the rifle. I'm hesitant to start grinding to change the cocking piece camming surface, which I "think" will solve the problem, because parts, if needed, would be near impossible to replace. It's a head scratcher so I decided to walk away for a while & come back to it when I'm less frustrated.
Is it possible that you need to take a tad more off the bottom of the bolt handle , where it stops against the frame? That appears to be the area of repair.
I notice that both the model 1 type rifles I’ve handled, when engaging the safety, the bolt handle has to be completely down. Even the slightest gap will make the wing not want to cam over…just a thought.

Last edited:
You have done nice job! It is quite common problen with wing safety. Push the safety while closing the bolt or pull the rear knob

After the suggestions from Bloo & Helsako I checked to see if the bolt was fully closing & discovered the handle was hitting on the side of the stock cut out & not letting it close completely. It was just a matter of a few thousandths. A little sandpaper work & the safety now works perfectly. The 1st pic shows the old rear sight base with it's "ears" ground off in it's original location. I moved the replacement sight 2" forward & the second pic shows an early Redfield Bear Cub (1959) with a 26mm tube & how I can mount about any scope I want now. If you are going to reblue a L46 with this type rear sight this should be considered. The sights on the later L46's are already a little farther forward & may only need moved about 1". I never stop learning things about these old Sakos & want to thank everybody for all the knowledge this club has shared with me. Now if I can just figure out the ammo issues with this rifle I will be a happy camper.
Birch 7x33 Birch 7x33

Glad you got it figured out👍
Even better to find the wood in the way!😁

Ammo…yeah it’s not gonna be quick
Currently waiting on a call from Graff & Sons about dies. Redding passed the ball.

Did you call Accurate Arms & Ammo? Redding doesn't deal directly with custom die customers. They sell through AA&A. I'm waiting on mine & I know of another person who is waiting as well. What brand is Graf's selling?

Redding gave me both numbers..Graff answered the call..I’ll contact both and see what the deal is…
Not sure of what brand exactly..just that it is deemed as a Specialty

curious, what is the 7x33 for? it sounds like something you would load into an SMG, a bit like the russian 7.62. seems like a big bullet for small game and a tiny case for larger game?

curious, what is the 7x33 for? it sounds like something you would load into an SMG, a bit like the russian 7.62. seems like a big bullet for small game and a tiny case for larger game?
Exactly!😁
Original design was for hunting Capercaillies or Black Grouse. Also used for Row deer and more than likely reindeer as well. Said to be used in hunting and trapping seals too…

Last edited:
Did you call Accurate Arms & Ammo? Redding doesn't deal directly with custom die customers. They sell through AA&A. I'm waiting on mine & I know of another person who is waiting as well. What brand is Graf's selling?
Graff quotes 7-10 days delivery time..Redding brand

Admiring the rifle some more…👀
The bluing turned out great!

Last edited:
Why in the heck did Redding tell me to go thru AA&A with a 14 week lead time? Chaps my hide when I get jack around like that.
Well .. I ain’t done yet so save me some chap stick ol’ bud😆
I actually tried AA first…rang out to voicemail. Graff on the other hand picked up on the second ring.
Redding gave me a part no. (80835) which I gave Graff..she called me back about 3 hrs later with a price and in stock availability…so she says

The 7x33 is a product of improvisation. At the same time Sako was gearing up to produce the L46, it was also winding down war production. The company had an ammo production line set up for 9mm Parabellum that was no longer needed for military orders. So Sako decided to create a small-game round for the new rifle that could be produced inexpensively on the existing 9mm machinery. The 7x33 was the most appropriate round that they could build within the limitations of a production line originally intended for pistol ammo.

In addition to bird and small game hunting, the 7x33 was popular with seal hunters.

The 7x33 is a product of improvisation. At the same time Sako was gearing up to produce the L46, it was also winding down war production. The company had an ammo production line set up for 9mm Parabellum that was no longer needed for military orders. So Sako decided to create a small-game round for the new rifle that could be produced inexpensively on the existing 9mm machinery. The 7x33 was the most appropriate round that they could build within the limitations of a production line originally intended for pistol ammo.

In addition to bird and small game hunting, the 7x33 was popular with seal hunters.
ah that makes sense, and it sounds very Finnish. A bit like all those wildcats that where created when they outlawed military calibers, everyone had a mosin, arisaka or carcano of some kind scavenged or "liberated" after the war, so 7.92x54r, 7.62x52 and 7x50 popped up. Wich nowadays sell for scrap metal basically. Exept the 7x33 was comercially produced.

After the suggestions from Bloo & Helsako I checked to see if the bolt was fully closing & discovered the handle was hitting on the side of the stock cut out & not letting it close completely. It was just a matter of a few thousandths. A little sandpaper work & the safety now works perfectly. The 1st pic shows the old rear sight base with it's "ears" ground off in it's original location. I moved the replacement sight 2" forward & the second pic shows an early Redfield Bear Cub (1959) with a 26mm tube & how I can mount about any scope I want now. If you are going to reblue a L46 with this type rear sight this should be considered. The sights on the later L46's are already a little farther forward & may only need moved about 1". I never stop learning things about these old Sakos & want to thank everybody for all the knowledge this club has shared with me. Now if I can just figure out the ammo issues with this rifle I will be a happy camper.
View attachment 34807 View attachment 34808
Help springs eternal!

I moved the replacement sight 2" forward
Good move! Yes, the ladder sights on the early L46's were too far to the rear to clear most scopes -- few used scopes in those days and Europeans were accustomed to mounting those they did use high enough that they would clear the sights. Since you had to remount the sight anyway, placing it far enough forward not to interfere with a low-mounted scope was an excellent decision.

Purty gun, by the way!

Back