• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

A Pair of Sako Carbines - One Rare, One Not

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

The stock looks real to me. It's had a non-original pad fitted, but other than that looks original. Those one-piece stocks are quite rare. As far as I know they are only found on early guns, which is consistent with the low serial number. The engine turning on the bolt is also custom work, probably done at the same time as the pad. Other than those two items and maybe the sling swivel mounts, it looks original to me. Nice one, and a great collector find.

I agree completely with the icebear. I have a one piece stock in 244 , also an early serial number. You also have the early checkered bolt knob which came on those early pieces. Please make me sleep better and replace that pad with a sako buttplate. The value will jump with that effort. I can live with the jeweled bolt.

I'm with Jeffy on replacing the pad with an original buttplate (or a repro if you can't find an original). Fortunately, it looks like the stock was not shortened when the pad was installed. Apart from that, I'd leave it alone and shoot it with the Sako peep that's on it now. It's a fantastic piece; enjoy your good fortune.

I'm with Jeffy on replacing the pad with an original buttplate (or a repro if you can't find an original). Fortunately, it looks like the stock was not shortened when the pad was installed. Apart from that, I'd leave it alone and shoot it with the Sako peep that's on it now. It's a fantastic piece; enjoy your good fortune.
Thanks so much for the feedback.
I have an original butt plate on a replacement stock that I could move over (or have a Smith do it as I am terrible with pads and plates).
I shoot this one with the peep sight. Windage is perfect, but the elevation is about 1.5" high at 50 yards, which is the only distance I have been able to practice with it. This is a deer gun for me and shots on my land (which is densely wooded) range from 45 to 125 yards, so this setup definitely shoots MOD (minute of deer).
I think I will grab this one for my next deer, in fact.
I'll post pics of the deer in the "Sako rifles a'field" thread and post a pic of the butt plate replacement on this thread.

Last edited:
I agree completely with the icebear. I have a one piece stock in 244 , also an early serial number. You also have the early checkered bolt knob which came on those early pieces. Please make me sleep better and replace that pad with a sako buttplate. The value will jump with that effort. I can live with the jeweled bolt.
Hi Jeffy. Could you post some pics of your 244? I'm curious to study the similarities.
Also, does the butt plate have a white line spacer?

Back