• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

85 Varmint 6mm BR

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Barossa_222

Hi guys. I have a Sako 85 varmint laminated stainless in 243 I am going to have rechambered to 6mm BR. My question is in relation to the magazine and getting the BR rounds to feed reliably. I have seen 75s converted to BR using the PPC mag and that is quite successful. I had the thought to change the bottom metal and use a 75 PPC mag, but that was put to bed quickly with the actions being different. Any thoughts or ideas?

That short stubby case with a severe shoulder angle is going to be a feeding problem out of any magazine/feeding system that is not designed for the BR/PPC type case. There is a possibility that you could have ejection issues as well, but I have no hands on experience with that in the Model 85. If you are like most guys that shoot these rounds, you are saving your brass & shooting single shot anyway so I wouldn't worry too much about the mag/feeding issue. If you want a repeater with this conversion, I'm not sure there is a good solution unless you can find a smith that can modify it to work.

I have had a discussion with my gunsmith and we think that putting a block in the current mag and making adjustments to the mag lips should give a satisfactory result. Maybe modifying the internals out of a 75 PPC mag and putting them in the 85 outer also. Will let you know how we get on.

Just load the magazine full with any BR round (.22 BR, 6mm BR, 7mm BR) and see how they feed. You don't have to change the barrel first in order to do this.

We have figured this out by removing the internals from the 85 mag and replaced them with modified internals from a 75 PPC mag.

Latest posts

Back