• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Short Actions 461 Firing Pin Spring

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

fshaw

I have a H&R 317 that regularly misfires and needs a new firing pin spring, all other possibilities have been checked. Are there any better options than the Wolff springs that aren't ridiculous in price? If Wolff is the best/only option which is the better choice, 30# or 34#?

Thanks.
Frank

Last edited:
Wolff's spring sells for $8.29 + shp. They work & they are available. What's "ridiculous"? My advice would be to buy the 30# spring and take it & the bolt to a gunsmith. Good luck!

Reactions: ERP
I have a H&R 317 that regularly misfires and needs a new trigger spring
I'm assuming that by "trigger spring" you mean the firing pin spring (striker spring) like in the title? I thought I had the same problem with a Kimber of Oregon Model 84, but found that it was just gunk in the firing pin assembly which was keeping the firing pin strike too light. If that's not your problem then more likely than a weak spring is the adjustment of the pin protrusion. Remove the bolt from the rifle then rotate the handle to let the pin down which will expose the firing pin from the face of the bolt. See if the protrusion is adequate. There's a good chance it is too short and needs to be adjusted to protrude further. There are directions on how to make this adjustment here on the forum if you'll search for them.

Another possibility is excessive headspace. You don't mention the caliber, but if it is a .17 and you are making cases from .223 then your resizing die may be pushing the shoulders too far rearward so that when the pin strikes the primer there may be insufficient resistance for it to set the primer off. The same might be the case with .223 factory loads (or FLS brass) which is often on the short side (length to datum line) since it is made to operate in autos which don't like tighter-fitting brass. Check the effective amount of headspace as well as firing pin protrusion.

Last edited:
Firing pin spring is correct as in thread title. My typo in body of thread, fixed it. As I said in my initial post, all other possibilities checked. Only interested in info related to firing pin springs. Thank you.

Last edited:
A simple......yet effective way to check the firing pin spring.

Remove the bolt from the receiver. Decock the bolt, which exposes the firing pin protrusion. Get, or make, a small brass or hard nylon spacer that is 0.1" thick(or thicker) and 0.375"(or slightly smaller)in diameter. Note: I usually use a small nylon cap nut.

Place some bathroom scales on your work bench. Press the exposed firing pin tip down onto the spacer, on the scales, until you feel slight firing pin movement.
A good firing pin spring should show 22 to 26 pounds on the scale....IIRC.

Simple......yet effective.

Hope this helps.

Back