• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

.308, .22LR, .243, .222

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

waterwolf

4234.JPG

What an impressive stable of Mannlichers! Your new .30-06 will be in good company.

If I recall, we've only identified two of the P72 (or M78?) Mannlichers. That's a real find, with some great wood, too.

Very nice mannlichers and great calibres to boot. I reckon if I was down to three rifles it would be a .22, .222 and .308! Thanks for posting some snaps.

What an impressive stable of Mannlichers! Your new .30-06 will be in good company.

If I recall, we've only identified two of the P72 (or P78?) Mannlichers. That's a real find, with some great wood, too.

They are all shooters and hunters, so all with a few small nicks and bruises but generally overall in excellent condition.

Actually that .22 is stamped "M78" just before the serial number...and I don't think we ever identified another one...Someone on a .22 website claimed they had seen one once, but did not reply to my further correspondence. I am still hoping, so if someone knows of another one, I would very much like to hear from them.

Last edited:
Very nice collection. I only own one. An L57 Sako Forester Mannlicher chambered in .244 cal. She never liked 100 grain bullets, but I harvested many whitetails with .87 gr Hornady Spire Points and 85 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.

Is that the 6mm Rem?
Yes, the .244 Rem was renamed the 6mm Rem several years after its introduction. The two cartridges are identical, but Remington did the re-christening to indicate that rifles marked "6mm Rem" had 1-9" twist barrels as opposed to those marked ".244 Rem" which had 1-12" twist barrels and wouldn't always stabilize 100 grain bullets.

Sako dropped the .244 chambering sometime in the early 60's and never did chamber the 6mm. The Sako .244 barrels I have measured the twist on came out about 1-11.25" and do stabilize the Remington 100 grain 6mm factory load.

Side note: When Remington renamed the cartridge (1963) the "magnum craze" was in full swing and everyone thought you had to have a "magnum". Remington initially renamed the .244 "6mm Remington Magnum" and even stamped a few of its Model 700 barrels that way. They soon figured out that people expected to see a belt on a magnum (which many believed made the case stronger and allowed it to be loaded to higher pressures). Lacking the belt, they relented and just started calling it "6mm Remington".

Very nice collection. I only own one. An L57 Sako Forester Mannlicher chambered in .244 cal. She never liked 100 grain bullets, but I harvested many whitetails with .87 gr Hornady Spire Points and 85 gr. Nosler Partition bullets.

Pictures?

Back