• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

25-06 Recipes?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Thank you Mr. Stonecreek,
I examined the casings closely and as stated in previous threads, annealed the
necks & resized full length & as always prepped the cases as usual. (see steps as mentioned above) Looking forward to loading when the powder arrives. Also here is a Swiss military rifle on Gun Broker, if anyone likes that type of firearm?

H4831 w/ 117's and 120's. I emphasize the H in H4831
Thanks Mr. jay,
While searching various reloading materials I came across data on a powder that resembles IMR 7828ssc.
It is Retumbo. It has been gobbled up by Hogdon as well as several other brands that they have control over. They seem to have gotten Ramshot powders as well. I found that Ramshot powder, long Range Target "L.R.T." has the same burn rate as the Retumbo and is about $17.00 less than the Hogdon Retumbo per pound. looks like Hogdon has control of most reloading powders available. Monopoly? I used to shoot trap &n skeet, reload 12 ga. shot shells, then the components got so expensive that it didn't pay to reload?? Maybe I am reading too much into this?? Go figure!! B/T

Reloading question!
How often should a casing be annealed before being reloaded in the same caliber ammo? Every other time, every time? just trying to streamline the reloading steps while saving good casings & produce a quality cartridge. B/T

Reloading question!
How often should a casing be annealed before being reloaded in the same caliber ammo? Every other time, every time? just trying to streamline the reloading steps while saving good casings & produce a quality cartridge. B/T[/QUOTE

How often to anneal is dictated by the cartridge, the brass formula used, the neck chamber dimensions, & probably a host of factors I don't even know. All the things mentioned determine how much your brass is work hardened by the expansion of firing & then resizing so I don't think one can answer your question with any certainty, but it's definately NOT every time or every other time. I don't bother annealing brass for big or medium game cartridges, as I can get 5 to 10 reloadings & have found that I usually get loose primer pockets when I start getting split necks. It's just not worth the time & you gain no ballistic or accuracy advantage. With the smaller centerfires I use for colony varmint shooting some economy can be realized based on the volume of rounds used. I have found that annealing about every 5 or 6 firings will allowed me to get around 15 reloadings before the neck is worn out. I stopped doing it long ago because of the time involved & the difficulty in getting the temperature right. Most people ruin more brass from over heating it than they gain in brass life. Getting the neck & shoulder too hot will separate the alloys and can cause case failure. Too much heat transferring to the case web will cause that area to be weaken as well. My advice would be to just buy new brass when you start to get split necks, which may take as many as ten reloadings. Like I said there is no accuracy or quality issues related to annealing, it's purely a matter of extending case life to "save" money. Leave the annealing up to the manufacturers. Just my two cents.

Thanks Mr. P. for the reply!
I think I will take your advice & anneal the brass of .270 to re form to 25/06, and watch for splitting necks on subsequent reloads.
We here in my part of GA have no large groups of varmints to shoot that requires a lot of ammo. I will try to keep track of all my casings & anneal them once & watch for stress cracks & I doubt I will shoot my casings very many times. By the way I tried the IMR7828ssc powder & did not see any great improvement over the IMR 4350 groups. However I will try them again & forgo the strong AM coffee. The deer I killed this year was shot where I aimed @ 91 yds. or so with Lefty 25/06, 4350 powdered ammo, one shot after cleaning with no fouling shots before the kill shot, so maybe if it ain't broke don't fix it! Keep well & all the best. B/T

Attachments

• IMG_4609.jpg
    IMG_4609.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 10
I have had 3 different 25/06's and the Sierra 117 gr SBT and IMR 4831 have been very kind to me in all three.
Thank you Mr. Brook,
You are the 3rd. fellow Sako shooter to advocate that powder, so it must be a good one!
I may try it later this year, but it still chaps my donkey to pay $50-$60 for a pound of powder. I was looking thru my notes when I started reloading many years ago, Primers @ & 8,27/ thousand, Bullets @ $8.50/ hundred, ball-c 2 powder @ $8.79? lb.! I know times changes things, but we can all thank the people in charge for devaluing our dollar.

Sako rifles 2023 sighting in.
Prepping for the upcoming deer season I took AV 25/06 & Forester .243 to the farm shooting range. 25/06 3 shot yields 2 bulls eye & 1 flier 1-1/2 CC. Sako .243 yields 3/8" group in bulls eye & 1 flier @ 1-1/4" from center of bulls eye . Shocker old Interarms .243 got a old Leopold VX ll 3x9x40
scope installed, & shot 2 sets of touching holes. All from cold barrels. Side note: The planting we did 2 weeks ago, Whitetail Inst, "Extream" has germinated & it is raining today & expected all this weekend!! deer tracks abound in food plots. Looking Good !
B/T

Attachments

• IMG_6235.jpg
    IMG_6235.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6241 (3).jpg
    IMG_6241 (3).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6156.jpg
    IMG_6156.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts