• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

222 Mag value?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Good looking rifle. I happen to love the 222 mag, so I am biased. For many that would make it the least desirable 22 caliber Sakos. It is early, marked Bofors with the "S" type mag release, grip cap and bordered checkering. That is how I like to find a Sako.

The scope is nothing, so I wouldn't put much value on it. Rifle, rings, no front sight or hood, I would say $800.00

Nice wood on it, and condition appears to be excellent, although you would need more and better photos to confirm that. There could be some finish loss near the muzzle or that could be reflections. I would want to clarify the condition of the metal. I wouldn't agree that the scope is "nothing." Pentax has always made good optics, and I have been told that some of their US market scopes were actually rebranded Burris products. That scope looks like a Burris. It's not a super high end scope, but it's not a Tasco or some such thing either.

Value depends on how heavily you weight the missing front sight blade and hood. That is a definite negative. I don't know how difficult/expensive it is to find an insert for the front sight. Repro hoods are $30.00; original hoods are almost impossible to find and hard to tell from the repros.

Last edited:
The market for a .222 Magnum (in any rifle) is narrower than that for more popular calibers, but it is also a "premium" caliber within that narrow market segment. This seems to be especially true with Sakos. That is why I regard the .222 Magnum as typically bringing a bit of a premium in a Sako, but getting that premium price depends on coming across the right set of buyers. In other words, it takes a little more time to market such a rifle, but there is a reward to patience. This is especially true with an L461 Deluxe in .222 Magnum, which always brings a significant premium over its .222 Rem sibling.

Condition is everything. Your rifle's condition looks excellent, so if you were to restore the sight blade and hood it would probably command somewhat more than kirk's estimate. The scope would bring more if separated from the rifle. However, the factory original rings will add about $100 to its value since they will cost that much or more to purchase separately.

Everyone looks right to me ! good talking about an old classic Sako. Nice Rifle, so congrats on that !

I have several .222Mags and enjoy them All.....

DeerGoose

If you're thinking of buying it, and don't, you'll be sorry. This has happened to me countless times. Buy it, that way you have it.....and it'll be a good one.

DeerGoose

Couple of more pic's

Attachments

• 20181020_110905_resized.jpg
    20181020_110905_resized.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 20181020_110909_resized.jpg
    20181020_110909_resized.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 24
  • 20181020_110937_resized.jpg
    20181020_110937_resized.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 24