• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

1971 .338win L61 mannlicher- should I?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Well, this Thumper now resides in Wyoming. Words were typed, agreements made, and I have welcomed what may be the nicest, stallion to the Stable! Deal with this young man with confidence! 1971 .338win L61 mannlicher- should I? added, the scope mounts are Australian Lynx and Hilver. First time I've seen the type.

Gary

Last edited:
Nice wood, and the sights are intact. Looks like a winner. A moderate load of fast-burning powder should minimize the noise, muzzle blast, and flame.

I've found a .338win mannlicher L61r for sale with an old redfield scope attached. It was inherited by the seller and he says he's pretty sure date of manufacture is 1971 and he's pretty sure it's never been shot. Comes with box and factory sale tag attached. Mint condition.

The seller wants $1900 USD for it. Is this a good price for this rifle? This would be my first Sako! I love the mannlichers.
I have a 338 mannlicher and I love it. I also just bought a 264 Mag in a sako mannlicher and I have really enjoyed shooting it very accurate.

Howdy Kolt,

Care to share any rifle pix and pet loads for your .338? Assuming you reload.

Gary

I didn't realize you were referring to the torque wrench instructions.

I assumed that for a wood stock, unbedded, without pillars, no more than 35-45 would be recommended, as that's a pretty common range. But, I'm a QC manager for a medical device company and have to follow manuals and SOPs to the T haha. But yes... I was referring more to the barrel band I guess. I know that can have a huge effect on what load the barrel tends to prefer, but didn't know if there was a "max" that Sako recommends staying under.

Even though they have incredible manufacturing consistency and tolerances, it somehow makes sense that they might follow the idea of fingerspitzengefühl on that one.
Oddly enough, the last customer I had with a .338 Mannlicher Carbine was a dentist and he was talking torque specs to me too! He wanted an auxillary cartridge for each of his .338s; I didn't really want to swage all that many heeled bullets so I quoted .25 labour on every one and he said oK, give me 500! I had no Isea how much money he made but owning 3 SAKOs in .338 should have clued me in!

Howdy Kolt,

Care to share any rifle pix and pet loads for your .338? Assuming you reload.

Gary
I have 4 .338's but am a cheapskate. They all eat a steady diet of 69 grains of IMR 4350 and 225 grain Hornady's or Nosler partition. 1 pound is 7000 grains so every 100 bullets I buy goes with 1 bottle of 4350. Makes the math simple.

Thanks!!

I was thinking that it's about the same on the overbore chart as a .30-06, and generally people consider a 20" barrel to be acceptable but slightly hindering to an '06, so I figured it may be about the same. I do handload, so after I work up the guts to shoot it I'll have to start gathering some dies for it.

I'll need to find the torque specs (if they exist) for all the screws to remove the stock so I can take a look at the trigger and underside.

Thank you all for the help!!! I'm glad to have paid $500 less than his original asking price and I'm excited to have it.
I think you made-off like a thief in a temple! Gorgeous gun and an absolute fight-stopper in the thick stuff. .338 is not really "overbore" like if it was a .300 win mag or 7mm rem mag. When I was a kid, the game warden made a lasting impression on us when a sow and 2 black bear cubs showed-up at recess at the schoolyard. The bear had been trapped and relocated a couple of times and this was the end for her. The Game Warden pulled-out a Remington 600 carbine in .350 rem. mag, out from behind the seat and dealt-out 3 quick, controlled rounds and the rest was all clean-up. an 18 and a half-inch barrel in 350 would have a very similar blast and flash to a .338 with a 20" but the SAKO is a little heavier, so I don't think control is a problem.

Back