• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Finnwolf VL63 Rising Finnwolf Prices

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
While the prices for typical standard Sako bolt hunting rifles have been fairly flat for some time, Finnwolfs seem to have caught fire. Check out this recent GB sale: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/888983067

That's getting close to half of what a set of SCA collector edition Finnwolfs go for, NIB. Other than the fact that "they're not making any more of them", what is driving such strong demand?

what is driving such strong demand?

Money is becoming more and more a mere number? ;)

or

Ridiculous sum of money for not having 50 years of hunting with the beauty.

Last edited:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/889320835
Here's another one that just sold for $2,200. That's roughly a 100% increase in the last two to three years, as best I can track it.

The Finnwolfs are a bit scarce, but there are other Sakos which are much rarer and do not bring the same kind of money, so scarcity alone doesn't appear to be the driving factor.

I agree, I have seen an increase in prices on the Finnwolfs. Seems nice ones are bringing North of $2000 as of not that long ago nice ones were bringing $1500 or under.

I agree, I have seen an increase in prices on the Finnwolfs. Seems nice ones are bringing North of $2000 as of not that long ago nice ones were bringing $1500 or under.
I think you're pretty well spot-on on the market's movement.

One thing I can think of is that they only made some 10000 of them. So not many around in good shape I would say. And since many journalists and "gun-people" hold them in high regard as one of, if not THE best lever action ever made, maybe they have been undervalued for long? Not sure?

Another thing I have noticed since my wife has a vintage store, sales of good quality items have rocketed here in Europe since this dreadful cover business started. People with cash in hand and in quarantine has little to do and can´t go anywhere so why not treat yourself with a new rifle?

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Jim

I have never owned a Finnwolf and have no desire to own any lever rifle. Yet, while I am sure they are admirable rifles, I understand that they are very difficult to disassemble and that many gunsmiths will refuse to work on them. Most Sako owners who are so used to being able to completely strip their relatively simple bolt-action mechanisms see this as a fault, but I suppose that if Finnwolfs don't break, there is no reason to repair them.

You guys have me interested.

Imagine......a Finnwolf in 17 Javelina............or 20BR. Hmmmmmmm...!!

I see one now for sale in Canada. The owner admits he hunted with it for at least ten years and that it has problems with ejecting empties. He has a firm price on it of $2200. (thats roughly $1730. US)

Does anybody have a VL73 Finnwolf? Or has even seen one? Apparently not many were made, but I've seen photos and documentation that such a thing was actually produced. I don't recall what the differences were from a VL63, but as far as I know they were relatively minor and there was no obvious visual difference.

To my knowledge there was never a VL73 produced, no gun ever stamped VL73, just a name
Although some say the newer flat bottomed magazine gun with no cheek piece is the 73 Icebear would love to see the pictures you have

The factory records show a "VL-63 M-73" beginning in 1975 with 511 of them produced in .308. It also shows the "VL-63" with only 10 made in 1975. That makes it appear that there was some difference (stock? magazine?) between the regular "VL-63" and the "VL-63 M-73" and that the "VL-63" was phased out in favor of the "VL-63 M-73". The same thing occurs with the .243 chambering with just 39 of them listed as "VL-63" and 234 of the "VL-63 M-73" models built.

Attached is the last page of the "VL-63 M-73" for caliber .308 in 1975.

Incidentally, the handful of prototype semi-automatic Sakos were listed as the "A-73".

Attachments

• Finnwolf M-73.pdf
    312.4 KB · Views: 49
Interesting, thanks for posting. That suggests that the 73 series guns were still stamped VL-63 on the receiver, which accounts for the fact that nobody has ever (knowingly) seen a VL-73.

I seem to remember discussions about vl73 never happening but the Sako folks already had printed literature etc for them so just like spare parts they used hang tags marked M73, and i believe the DW Custer ones may have been so marked. Maybe someone could verify that if the have a NIB Hang Tag. But again no guns actually stamped vl73

Last edited:
Checking prices of Lee Enfields today, and was curious about how Finnwolf inflation compared tp Enfield inflation. I paid $2,000+/- $200-$300 for my Finnwolf rifles on average 2-4 years ago here in Canada, and prices have not gone up appreciably on the rare occasion they come up for sale. I have a Lee Enfield Irish contract that I paid $800 for a few years ago, saw one today for $2500:eek:. The rise in prices seems inconsistent and not particularly rational. Strange days.Not going to sell my Finnwolfs or my Lee Enfields;)

In Europe, Finnwolf prices have about tripled in the last 10 years.
The gun changes from the old man's old hunting weapon to a rich collector's weapon. From a tool to a treasure.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back