• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Anyone have a custom Sako with one of

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Chris Anderson

these?

STANDARD%20SKELETON%20BUTT%20PLATE_zpsxbnpotyw.jpg

Is is a take it out and shoot things that need shoot rifle? After owning / using the rifle would you put one on your next custom rifle? Would you recommend that your best shooting buddy put one on his custom rifle?

Thanks in advance
ChrisA

Last edited:
I have custom Sakos with steel Neidner-style buttplates, but none with a skeleton plate as shown in the photo. A skeleton buttplate is a beautiful, but extremely expensive, enhancement to a custom rifle. The expense is the amount of highly skilled hand work required to inlet, shape, and checker the stock to a perfect fit of wood and metal. It's hard. I can fit a Neidner buttplate to a semi-inletted stock, but I wouldn't even attempt a skeleton. But I'd sure love to have a custom rifle with one!

If I had such a rifle, I would certainly take it to the range and shoot it - but I'd be awfully, awfully careful with it, and I doubt I could bring myself to hunt with it.

That buttplate and pistol grip cap are especially useful when crawling up the scree hunting pika.

I have custom Sakos with steel Neidner-style buttplates, but none with a skeleton plate as shown in the photo. A skeleton buttplate is a beautiful, but extremely expensive, enhancement to a custom rifle. The expense is the amount of highly skilled hand work required to inlet, shape, and checker the stock to a perfect fit of wood and metal. It's hard. I can fit a Neidner buttplate to a semi-inletted stock, but I wouldn't even attempt a skeleton. But I'd sure love to have a custom rifle with one!

If I had such a rifle, I would certainly take it to the range and shoot it - but I'd be awfully, awfully careful with it, and I doubt I could bring myself to hunt with it.

icebear,

Thanks for the informative reply.

A skeleton buttplate is a beautiful, but extremely expensive, enhancement

I was afraid of that.:(

I'd be awfully, awfully careful with it, and I doubt I could bring myself to hunt with it.

And I was afraid of this.:(:(

It is very classy looking but if I can't (wouldn't) take it hunting it would be hard to convince myself that it was worth the cost.

Thanks
ChrisA

Chris: Show us more of your rifle.

Oh would that I could, show you more :(

I'm still in the information gathering / features style finalization phase and this is just a google images pic. It does look pretty cool though.

I fear that I'm going to fall into the won't drag it up the scree slopes and down the rock slides paradigm like icebear. A guy can dream though, right?

Thanks
ChrisA

Last edited:
Hard to tell in that pic but the screw heads are also checkered. Saw that rifle on GB a couple of days ago, very nice gun.
Could be this one:https://www.gunbroker.com/item/799643787

CVCOBRA1,

Never seen checkered screw heads before. I can't really see enough detail on the screw heads to tell if they are checkered, but that's a good idea. Probably isn't easy.

$7,750.00 starting bid. WOW!! Stephen Heilmann must be one amazing gun builder or the current owner is awful proud of that rifle. A ,220 Swift would be cool, but not that cool.

Thanks
ChrisA

I've seen checkered screw heads, but they are uncommon to say the least. What you see more often, especially on German and Austrian guns, is screw heads embellished with line engraving. For example, here's a Robert Schräder O/U combination gun, probably pre-WWI. You'll need to click on the photo to see the engraving on the screws clearly.

Left Lock 1a.jpg

gowyo,

(Chuckle) I am lots of miles from any pika habit, so I'm pretty safe from that temptation.

They do however make an enticing little target perched on that rock by their front door.

And they sit so still.

Thanks
ChrisA

Latest posts

Back