• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

How A Rifle is Made | Hands-on Tour of the Sako & Tikka Firearms Factory

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

One small detail I noticed in the video is that they use a right-handed shooter to accuracy test the left-handed rifles. I suspect that they do the opposite with RH rifles. This is because it is much handier when shooting from a rest to have the bolt and loading port on the same side of the rifle as the shooter. Lots of bench shooters who shoot right-handed have started using LH bolts on their dedicated bench guns for this reason.

If you go into a gun shop in Helsinki and ask about a Say-ko, as Americans pronounce it, they'll direct you to the shop down the street that sells Japanese watches (Seiko).

Another thing that is not well known among American shooters is that the SAKO name started out as an acronym. Americans have trouble with the A, but it's still quite a bit easier to pronounce that Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhtiö.

If you go into a gun shop in Helsinki and ask about a Say-ko, as Americans pronounce it, they'll direct you to the shop down the street that sells Japanese watches (Seiko).

Another thing that is not well known among American shooters is that the SAKO name started out as an acronym. Americans have trouble with the A, but it's still quite a bit easier to pronounce that Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhtiö.
Icebear you beat me to it.
The original Finnish name of the company was Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhtiö (Firearms and Machine workshop of the Civil Guard).

We pronounce the "A" as a hard A because in English the two vowels are separated by a single consonant. We would pronounce the A as "ah" if there were two consonants between the vowels. Generally speaking. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you

I thought you members might like this. I searched to see if it was posted previously, but did not find it.
Enjoy!!
There is an hour long Documentary at the Sako website that looks to be a good watch, with archival video in the beginning. I was unable to copy or get a link. If someone else could help that would be great. Thank you so much!

One small detail I noticed in the video is that they use a right-handed shooter to accuracy test the left-handed rifles. I suspect that they do the opposite with RH rifles. This is because it is much handier when shooting from a rest to have the bolt and loading port on the same side of the rifle as the shooter. Lots of bench shooters who shoot right-handed have started using LH bolts on their dedicated bench guns for this reason.
Small!?!? No wonder all your prey fear you. Eagle eyes!

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Beats me. I'm not an expert on the rules of the English language, just a guy who used languages professionally (including English, Finnish, and a bunch of others) in my career.

English is an easy language to learn enough to get along, but quite difficult to master. This is because of its mixed origins. English is basically the evolutionary product of 1066, which is to say the merger of Saxon, a Germanic language, with Norman French (which would probably be incomprehensible to a modern French speaker). And English picked up bits and pieces of a lot more languages along the way. English has words in it from Chinese, Russian, Hindi, Polynesian, and many more, in addition to the usual French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Arabic. English is rich in irregular verbs and pronunciations that break the rules. So, to speak correct English you almost have to grow up with it, and it helps to have a college education to boot. And even then, few get it perfect. In the Foreign Service, editing reporting and analysis for exactly the right word became almost a game, played for one-upmanship among experts at massaging the language. The game was jokingly called "happy for glad," which neatly summarized the fine points of nuanced language that diplomats take pride in.

Beats me. I'm not an expert on the rules of the English language, just a guy who used languages professionally (including English, Finnish, and a bunch of others) in my career.

English is an easy language to learn enough to get along, but quite difficult to master. This is because of its mixed origins. English is basically the evolutionary product of 1066, which is to say the merger of Saxon, a Germanic language, with Norman French (which would probably be incomprehensible to a modern French speaker). And English picked up bits and pieces of a lot more languages along the way. English has words in it from Chinese, Russian, Hindi, Polynesian, and many more, in addition to the usual French, Spanish, Italian, German, and Arabic. English is rich in irregular verbs and pronunciations that break the rules. So, to speak correct English you almost have to grow up with it, and it helps to have a college education to boot. And even then, few get it perfect. In the Foreign Service, editing reporting and analysis for exactly the right word became almost a game, played for one-upmanship among experts at massaging the language. The game was jokingly called "happy for glad," which neatly summarized the fine points of nuanced language that diplomats take pride in.
Oh my God! He starts off with “Beats me”. You humble me

And if you're a native Texan, you're just SOL for the correct pronunciation of a bunch of words. Heck, if a Texan leaves the state he has hell ordering a glass of iced tea. :):)

And if you're a native Texan, you're just SOL for the correct pronunciation of a bunch of words. Heck, if a Texan leaves the state he has hell ordering a glass of iced tea. :):)
Iced tea? I was told no self respecting Texan drinks anything other than Whiskey, neat, in a dirty shot-glass, through the eye!!;)

Icebear you beat me to it.
The original Finnish name of the company was Suojeluskuntain Ase- ja Konepaja Osakeyhtiö (Firearms and Machine workshop of the Civil Guard).

We pronounce the "A" as a hard A because in English the two vowels are separated by a single consonant. We would pronounce the A as "ah" if there were two consonants between the vowels. Generally speaking. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you
Would it not be better to pronounce it like the Finns do, than to use some "English" language rules that have no relevance to the Finnish language? If you know anything about the Finnish language, you know it is completely & utterly impossible to relate it to anything resembling English. The Finns say "Sock-o", not Say-ko. I think that pretty much resolves this matter.

Would it not be better to pronounce it like the Finns do, than to use some "English" language rules that have no relevance to the Finnish language? If you know anything about the Finnish language, you know it is completely & utterly impossible to relate it to anything resembling English. The Finns say "Sock-o", not Say-ko. I think that pretty much resolves this matter.
I agree! I have been using “Sock-o” since I heard it pronounced correctly by the Finnish rep for Sako at a Shot Show in a You Tube video a few years ago. For 20 years all I ever heard was “Say-co”. My gunsmith who sold me my first custom Sako, pronounced it “Say-co”, B&B Guns pronounced it “Say-co” even Randy Selby “The Real Gunsmith” recently in a video referred to them as “Say-co”. So, an honest question. “How do we correct to the proper “Sock-o” without coming across as snobs.” I was previously smart-mouthed by a gun shop owner concerning this very subject. He insisted “Say-co”. He did not like being corrected. Thanks so much Paul! And again I agree.

Iced tea? I was told no self respecting Texan drinks anything other than Whiskey, neat, in a dirty shot-glass, through the eye!!;)
What about Lone Star Beer?

I don't need no diamond ring
I don't need no Cadillac car
I just wanna drink my Lone Star Beer
Down in the Lightnin Bar

- Hoyt Axton, as performed by Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen, the World's Greatest Bar Band

And speaking of Armadillos...The Armadillo Stomp, which the Commander sometimes used as a theme song or opener, saving "Lost in the Ozone" for the finale.

Yes, "SAKO" is an acronym (a word made from initials). Acronyms tend to be pronounced under the rules of pronunciation of whatever language is being spoken. In most languages "sako" comes out with a soft "a" as "sahko" (or nearly the "sock-o" that has been described). However, in English the pronunciation rules make it a long "a" or "say-ko". So if it were purely an acronym then its pronunciation would be "acceptable" either way, depending on what language you are speaking. (However, I don't think anyone would accept the somewhat Cockney "sack-o" as anything other than grating to the ears.)

The rub is that "Sako" has long-since become a proper noun, not just an acronym. Proper nouns are pronounced appropriately as they are spoken by those to whom the name applies. Just as we wouldn't expect a speaker of various European languages to call the National Aeronautics and Space Administration "nahsa" while we call it "na-sah" with a short first "a" and a soft second "a", European speakers expect to hear "sahko" when the name "Sako" is spoken.

Regardless, I've never walked away from a good deal on either a "Sayko" or a "Sahko" and have no criticism of anyone who uses either pronunciation.

Back