• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

THE SAKO LOVE AFFAIR: How Did Yours Begin?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Assumed you were, I just wanted to clarify. :)

The way things are here now I would either be a national hero for geting rid of the horrible guns or arrested for terrorist activity exporting firearms... ;)

Otherwise it could be a steady stream of old Sakos (L61Rs mainly), Tikkas (M55/65) and old Swedish army Mausers (in 6.5x55)... :p

First rifle I purchased was a Sako L461 vixen 222 varmint,what a rifle ....................that was nearly 40 years ago ....loved sako’s ever since ( even the much maligned 85’s )

Last edited:
Assumed you were, I just wanted to clarify. :)

The way things are here now I would either be a national hero for geting rid of the horrible guns or arrested for terrorist activity exporting firearms... ;)

Otherwise it could be a steady stream of old Sakos (L61Rs mainly), Tikkas (M55/65) and old Swedish army Mausers (in 6.5x55)... :p

I feel like we're headed in that direction over here. Or, at least there are more and more "geniuses" who believe that's the direction in which we OUGHT to be headed. Of course, these geniuses know nothing of history and like to interpret our 2nd Amendment in all kinds of amusing ways to fit their respective narratives. What bugs me more than anything is when I talk to my fellow shooter friends, gun enthusiasts, and the like about the possibility of gun confiscation, and I hear them say, "Oh, it'll NEVER happen here..." My response? "Well, amigo, I hate to say it but it is just such an attitude that will certainly ensure that it DOES happen here." Sitting on your Rumpelstiltskin saying "It AIN'T gonna HAPPEN" while DOING nothing about it is a recipe for disaster. Many of these folks DO fall into that category, unfortunately, which is why I respond the way I do.

My first Sako was a beautiful little late-60s L461 Vixen sporter in .222 Rem. that I fell in love with in a gun shop in Boulder, Colorado, when I was a student at the Univ. of Colorado. At the time I didn't have much time for varminting or target shooting, and, as a result, the rifle didn't get much use. I sold that one some years later, and most of my Sakos since then have been in big-game calibers, although my last two are both 6 PPCs.

Saturday.
Dgeesaman, your HB bench single-shot PPC must be a twin brother (or sister) to mine (a 6 PPC):

Is yours a 6 or 22 PPC? What scope do you have mounted?

Your bench setup is like mine too. I have the same Bald Eagle front rest and similar Protektor rear bag.

Last edited:
Great first find early DLX in near new condition with front sight. My 33xxx DLX .243 also has the Two Buck floor plate. My .308 DLX has front sight, tangent rear, flattened bolt handle, and Single Buck.

Thanks Tripleduece,
Just booked a early fall antelope hunt in Wyoming 2018 and plan on taking my fist Pronghorn with this beauty next year. I handload and will be Trying to put the right combination of Barnes xxx with powder between now and then for a clean kill

Great first find early DLX in near new condition with front sight. My 33xxx DLX .243 also has the Two Buck floor plate. My .308 DLX has front sight, tangent rear, flattened bolt handle, and Single Buck.
Would love to see some pics of your DLX .243 and .308

Hillcountry, that's one pretty lady!!

I'm going to a friend's place near town for New Year's - a tradition that's only 6 years-old, but perfect - and we always do much shooting. The family doesn't hunt, shoot, etc, but the children want to in a major way, one of whom is one of my Godsons. When I go out there, I take probably 10-12 FAs and work with all the kids present. They LOVE it. And they all shoot well. One of the guns going is exactly the rifle you've just shared with us.

Thank you, sir! I've been trying to decide which of the Sakos is going. That's one of them. Your photos and post confirm my brilliance. Just sayin'!

Dgeesaman, your HB bench single-shot PPC must be a twin brother (or sister) to mine (a 6 PPC):
Is yours a 6 or 22 PPC? What scope do you have mounted?

Your bench setup is like mine too. I have the same Bald Eagle front rest and similar Protektor rear bag.

Mine is a 6PPC. They sure aren't identical twins because the stock on yours is impressive. But I do admire the chocolate tone of the walnut in mine - it's attractive but not in a "safe queen" kind of way.

The scope at the moment is a Weaver 36x because it's ideal for maximum accuracy. Not sure if I'll keep it on there or put a more varmint-type scope like a 4-20 or 6-24.

My first attempts at loading for it are over on RFC in the Centerfire / Rifle subforum. (Cliff's notes - the scope was loose and ruined most of them). It's going to be terribly cold this weekend but I might still go out in the morning to shoot a few groups.

Hillcountry, that's one pretty lady!!

I'm going to a friend's place near town for New Year's - a tradition that's only 6 years-old, but perfect - and we always do much shooting. The family doesn't hunt, shoot, etc, but the children want to in a major way, one of whom is one of my Godsons. When I go out there, I take probably 10-12 FAs and work with all the kids present. They LOVE it. And they all shoot well. One of the guns going is exactly the rifle you've just shared with us.

Thank you, sir! I've been trying to decide which of the Sakos is going. That's one of them. Your photos and post confirm my brilliance. Just sayin'!

What an awesome tradition Mongo! Ill be thinking of you on New Years. I would be interested in the reaction of the children to the 243 Win Sako DLX. If its anything like mine was as a child seeing my fathers DLX 7mm Mag they will be fans for life.

I’ve always been fascinated with hunting and guns. As a young kid, I looked through magazines and was stunned with the beauty of the SAKO rifles. That was back in the early 80´s when the A-model was brand new. When I finally turned 16, the first couple of guns I bought were however not SAKO. I couldn’t really afford them. When I turned 21, I decided that I had to have a 338 win mag. I didn’t really have any use for that caliber, but it was cool. And when you are 21 you need something that says boom. So I bought a SAKO AV carbine in 338 Magnum. After holding this gun I was convinced. There was only SAKO. The other guns I had were changed to SAKO’s as soon as I could afford it. Since then I’ve had around 25 SAKO’s of almost every model through my gunsafe. Today I only have 4. Two 75 Varmints in caliber 243 and 260. A Quad in 22mag. And of course my favorite the AV 338 win mag, that have hunted with me for just over 25 years now.

I’ve always been fascinated with hunting and guns. As a young kid, I looked through magazines and was stunned with the beauty of the SAKO rifles. That was back in the early 80´s when the A-model was brand new. When I finally turned 16, the first couple of guns I bought were however not SAKO. I couldn’t really afford them. When I turned 21, I decided that I had to have a 338 win mag. I didn’t really have any use for that caliber, but it was cool. And when you are 21 you need something that says boom. So I bought a SAKO AV carbine in 338 Magnum. After holding this gun I was convinced. There was only SAKO. The other guns I had were changed to SAKO’s as soon as I could afford it. Since then I’ve had around 25 SAKO’s of almost every model through my gunsafe. Today I only have 4. Two 75 Varmints in caliber 243 and 260. A Quad in 22mag. And of course my favorite the AV 338 win mag, that have hunted with me for just over 25 years now.
Thanks for the background and explanation Mongo - Quality sets an important standard and impression. I also have other rifles until now (age 50) I've been piecing together a collection for about 25 yrs. .300WIN Mag Rem 700 BDL; Pre 64 Model 94 32 special saddle stock lever action; Pre 64 Model 70 .264 Win Mag Westerner (my most expensive rifle; Ruger #1 7mm Mag falling block(my most productive go-to gun for white tail deer -lost count of how many deer); Ruger #1 35 Wheelen; Remington 600 Mohawk 6mm (all 4 of my kids have killed deer with this rifle). Started hand loading 5 years ago and enjoy working with my chronometer and experimenting different combinations of bullets and powder. The DLX Sako is my dream gun - I feel like I have finally arrived when I found it and was able to buy it.

Hill Country

Mongo44..are you still around? Old thread, I know, I was just reading. We have some common interests! Guns , Guitars and some occasional use of cryptic French adverbs! Hope to see you here again!

Bloo

I've always coveted Sakos, anschutz, Steyr...euro rifles. I've owned many Winchrsters and Remingtons, but they didn't have the allure. I burned up the pages of the Shooters Bible that I'd get at Christmas...I finally bought my first in '88. An AI in .17 remington. I'll never sell it. My next was a an av classic in 7mm that had the prettiest stock I'd seen, in 1994. The other 14 or 15 are kind of a blur.

Kjeldsen, please share your favorite loads for your .338 carbine!

I had never heard of Sako before despite having spent my teens devouring every page of Gun Digest and Outdoor Life. My father had a Winchester 70 and 94.

I saw this very plain but elegant looking 30 06 on Gunsinternational and was drawn to it. Nothing fancy but it seemed to be built right.

I joined here to learn more and discovered the passion you all have. I’ve since bought two more so I have three. I am sure that doesn’t make me a “collector” but it’s a start.

I read these posts almost every day. Youz guyz are a good bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bernie’s Dad, do not sell yourself short as 2 is a collection, dince collecting is a process.
The old adage, “my only regret is resisting those temptations I was able to resist” can be true to many reflections of one’s life just remember there is no rewind or redo, so enjoy what you’ve got & choose carefully.
Cheers…

Latest posts

Back