• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Marlin 422, rare, and it shoots!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stonecreek

SCC Secretary
SCC Board Member
I was lucky enough to happen across a pristine Marlin Varmint King Model 422 a few weeks ago that I was able to buy worth the money. Like the prior Model 322, these were made on Sako L46 actions. There were only 354 of these made (according to the William S. Brophy book), while some 5,859 of the much more common Model 322 were made. The 422 was an "upgraded" answer to complaints that the 322's Microgrove barrels were subject to premature wear. Marlin used a stainless steel (but blued) barrel on the 422 to address this problem. They also reduced the contour to a lighter sporter weight from the heavier semi-target contour of the 322, and also used a slimmer Monte Carlo stock on the 422.

I was finally able to take the 422 to the range yesterday, although the wind was a bit whippy. The scope is a Leupold 3-9X Compact mounted in low original Sako rings. The handload used AA2200 powder under a 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip.

The target on the left is the 100 yard target. The lower 3-shot group was the first fired after adjusting the scope onto the paper and is just under 1/2 inch. The 3-shot group above the square bull is after adjusting the scope for approximately a 200 yard zero and it also measures just under a half-inch. The target on the right hand was shot at 200 yards where the wind made a bit more difference. But it is still only 1.6", which is just .8 MOA at 200 yards. This is the third model 422 I've had a chance to shoot and all have exhibited excellent accuracy. Too bad that Marlin gave up on them just when they had them perfected!

DSC01160 (1280x720).jpg

Nice shooting. I always thought those non-Sakos with the Sako action were one of the best bargains in a rifle out there, when the 322 could be had for a good price. Never saw a 422 for sale.

Never saw a 422 for sale.
I've got two others which I plan to sell in the near future. One is original and in 95% condition except for having holes drilled in the barrel and on the front dovetail for target scope bases. The other was sold to me as original, but anyone familiar with Marlins can quickly see that the stock has been refinished (although the refinish is professional and attractive.) The metal on this one is in excellent condition with no extra holes. If anyone is interested and would like photos just drop me a line via Private Conversation.

Latest posts

Back