• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

L61R 300 H&H and 375 H&H sale SCC Members ONLY

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

manager131

SCC Manager
SCC Board Member
At SakoSource.com we're proud to support the Sako Collector's Club and enjoy the good business we've done with SCC members around the world. To show our appreciation to the membership we're offering several unique Sakos for the next 72 hours (until Noon, Monday, Feb 16) exclusively to members of the Sako Collectors Club. If no member buys by that time, then these will "go public" on our website, but will be priced somewhat higher than the SCC member price. So if you want one of these at the Member price be the first to send me a message by Private Conversation saying "I'll take it". The first member to do so will be the winner (but your identity will remain confidential). And remember, you must be a registered member of SCC to buy.

Here is a magnificent, all original, African/Alaskan set of pre-Garcia Finnbears in .375 H&H and the EXTREMELY rare .300 H&H. We believe that these two rifles are more valuable kept together than separated, so we are offering them only as a pair. Check the very low number on the .375, possibly the first year of production. The .300 is probably around the third year of production. Original rings and peep sights are available for purchase to the buyer. This set will be priced to the public at $3750, but is available to SCC Members ONLY for $3,500. See many more pictures and details at
http://www.sakosource.com/-1100rs-375-300h-h.html

Note to foreign buyers: We are happy to ship to your U.S. exporter, but are not able to export directly to you.

THANKS,
Rodger Bell
SakoSource.com

.00000 004.JPG

If you have any questions on these rifles you are welcome to call me at (325) 576-3581 or email [email protected]. But to purchase you MUST send me a Private Conversation message to validate your SCC membership!

RODGER

The .375 and .300 H&H are on hold pending consummation of the deal.

The P-75 Hornet is still available to SCC members at a discounted price until noon on Monday, Feb 16.

Didn't realize how rare the 300 H&H is. My#11065 has the 24 inch barrel with 12 lands and grooves. I thought my #770 .264 win mag with a 26 inch barrel was odd, but right for that caliber.

Yep, the .300 H&H chambering is pretty scarce in the L61R. Mine is just a few hundred higher SN than yours and is the highest I've seen in the "first run". Sako did make a very few up in the 40,000's, but I've only seen one or two verified examples. For the most part, they dropped the .300 H&H when the .300 Winchester was introduced.

I have a .300 Win Mag with an SN in the 13,000's, which is the lowest I've seen in that chambering. However, as Sako was always mixing its serial numbers as finished rifles came off of the line I wouldn't be surprised to see (from the "first run") an H&H with an SN higher than a Win version.

There were quite a few .300 H&H's chambered in the FN-Sako Mauser rifle. Unfortunately, those were somewhat contemporary with the advent of the Weatherby magnum craze and many of those I've seen were rechambered to .300 Weatherby, making an original .300 H&H somewhat difficult to find in any Sako, whether Finnbear or FN Mauser.

The .264's with 26" barrels were typically numbered under SN 4,000, but that varies, also. No one has any track of how many of those may have been made, but if 4,000 or so Finnbears were divided among .264, .270, 7mm RM, .30-06, .300 H&H, .338, and .375, then the number of 26" .264's would have to be only a few hundred at most.

One person's experience is somewhat anecdotal and not necessarily representative, but I know I've come across quite a few more 26" .264 Finnbears than I have Finnbears in .300 H&H. So my perception is that the H&H is scarcer, but others may have had different experiences.

It 'seems' that the early 300 H&H's were stamped 300 Mag, and the later, post 300 WinMag, were stamped 300 H&H Mag. I would be interested to know the highest serial no with only 300 Mag, and the lowest serial no with 300 H&H. My 300 H&H stamped rifle is in the mid 40,000's. Maybe these later ones were special orders??

stonecreek.
my 300h&h ser no 527xx is stamped 300H&H. a beautiful unmolested rifle right down to its open sights. found by chance here in n.s.w. australia. no hang tag.
susanna

That's two of the "second run" .300 H&H rifles, both in Australia. I wonder if a pattern is emerging? Could this be another Sako which is somewhat unique to Oz? Anyone in the U.S. have a "high number" .300 H&H Finnbear?

Yep.

I got a deluxe with the open sites on it in the mid-40,000 range. Posted pics of it here a while back. I've also got a couple three digit sporters in H&H and one in .264.

DeerGoose

I would be interested to know the highest serial no with only 300 Mag, and the lowest serial no with 300 H&H.

My ".300 Magnum" is SN 11711.

Likewise, I'd like to know the lowest SN of an L61R .300 Winchester Magnum. I'll start the bidding with SN 13692.

Deergoose "I've also got a couple three digit sporters in H&H" now thats unusual if I understand you correctly, ie a couple of rifles with serials less than 1000, that have the 300 H&H Mag stamp? please confirm I've not misuderstood.

Deergoose "I've also got a couple three digit sporters in H&H" now thats unusual if I understand you correctly, ie a couple of rifles with serials less than 1000, that have the 300 H&H Mag stamp? please confirm I've not misuderstood.
I don't think Deergoose was speaking of the barrel marking, but rather of the actual chambering.

To clarify: Sakos in .300 H&H which were made prior to the introduction of the .300 Win Mag were simply marked ".300 Magnum". Those made after Sako began chambering the .300 Win Mag were marked ".300 H&H Magnum" (perhaps the "Magnum" was abbreviated simply "Mag", but I can't say since I don't have one of those.)

Ok kj, clarification. I own:

L61R, serial #323, stamped "Cal..300 Mag."
L61R, serial #748, stamped "Cal..300 Mag."
L61R, serial #110, stamped "Cal..264 Mag."

I hunt with #748 and have killed some nice critters with it, including a big blackie in Alberta that made B&C.

hope this helps,
DeerGoose
100_3918.jpg 100_3924.jpg Sako.300H&H_6.jpg

Thanks everyone for sharing all that info - summarised here with some fine tuning questions re the actual Cal. stamp in ( )

deergoose - L61R, serial #323, stamped "Cal..300 Mag."
deergoose - L61R, serial #748, stamped "Cal..300 Mag."
tripledeuce - #11065 - 300 Mag (Mag or Magnum?)
stonecreek - My ".300 Magnum" is SN 11711
kj60 - #45,xxx deluxe stamped "300 H&H Mag."
deergoose - deluxe with the open sites on it in the mid-45,000 range
susanna - 52,7xx stamped '300H&H Mag' std sporter
and did anyone record what SN the one that Rodger offered for sale was?

stonecreek, it seems you were pretty spot on with your estimates, and I suspect that the Cal stamp details will probably also agree,

[what was here proved wrong so removed it]

Last edited:
kj.
probably should have added at the time, my L61R 52xxx, cal is stamped 300H&H Mag & is a std sporter with the steel ramp rear sight.
susanna

I hunt with #748 and have killed some nice critters with it, including a big blackie in Alberta that made B&C.

When it comes right down to it my L61R .300 H&H may be my most favorite hunting rifle. I posted my recent cow elk hunt with it back in September. When I got it, it had been somewhat abused and neglected, with pitting on the outside of the barrel, bowed bottom metal due to improper assembly, and dinged up stock. I thought it might be a good candidate for restoration -- until I shot it and it refused to group anything wider than 3/4". That made me afraid to mess with it, so I just straightened the bottom metal, cleaned up the stock, and polished the bad spots on the barrel and continue to proudly carry and shoot it just that way.

Latest posts

Back