• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

which Sako rifle action is the BEST and how would you rate them L61,AV or L691

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Wow....what a question. Strickly IMHO, most Sako collectors seem to prefer the L61 then the AV and the 691....but that really depends on what YOU want to collect. As a tool, then are all great, because after all they are all SAKOS!!

I agree that it is a personal preference, I myself love levers and will vote for the FINNWOLF. But it's hard not to love all the SAKO's and their accuracy.

You can not go wrong with either especially an AV in a deluxe they are incredible rifles. You know what that's a hard question to answer they are all great rifles but I prefer the latter two in a deluxe and the L61r in what ever. So maybe I also really appreciate the L61r just not to sure the more I think about it. You just have to try them out and you will probably get more confused they are so nice.

I like the early L61r with the three lug bolts best. But I think its more of a factor of liking the earlier 'thin' style stocks best which are associated with these models. There ll go though!

m995- If you are serious, I happen to have a few duplicates that I would consider trading for m995s in calibers I am looking for. PM if interested. Sakojim.

m995- Joke or not , m995 discussion is a good way to start my day. Or for that matter most any Sako model will perk my interest. Have a good one. Sakojim

I would have preferred the 995's to have a full top strap like the 42 & 22. Going up in weight over a 5 pound barrel has been a concern of mine.

A very old thread, but since you raised it: You can't separate the actions from one another without recognizing the differences in they way they were presented as finished rifles. All of the actions are equally good for containing the cartridge and holding the barrel in alignment.

The early version of the L61R had a more slender stock and barrel and was close to a pound lighter than later versions and the "A" and "91" series which replaced it. I'm very partial to those slimmer L61R's. On the other hand, some people are partial to the Wundhammer palm swell and rounded fore end of the late A-series rifles. But their hard solid rubber recoil "pads" offer nothing in the way of cushioning recoil.

The shrouded bolt of the AIII/AV is undoubtedly better at diverting gas from a failed primer or case head, but in spite of a few of these failures in an L61R I've never had any gas through the bolt body and into the direction of the eye. As a LH shooter using RH bolts, I don't like the protruding cocking indicator of the A-series which can sometimes poke the web of the grip hand painfully. Some don't like the bolted-on recoil lug of the L691, but the single example I own shoots quite accurately.

Bottom line: You pay your money and take your choice.

I’m an ‘A’ series fan for the above reasons. To emphasize, the later A’s have the hunter style stock and teardrop bolt handle, both attributes make this series fit and feel like no other.

I am no expert. I have not even held in my hands the full range of action types. Buy from pictures and web browsing plus the ones I have had the opportunity to hold I think I would choose the L61r. It has the appeal of the pioneers. The AV and L691 look much like the latter 75 and 85 models and do not convey the "old classic" feeling. But it is just an opinion based on look and appearance and has nothing to do with operation or performance.

Back