• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

What's your next Sako ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Fury

My next Sako rifle will be one that I can use for small game like fox, goose and beaver. I think the layout will look a lot like this in .204 Ruger. I'm shooting very well with KKC chassis ... The optics on this is Zeiss HT, I want S & B PMII .5-16x50.

IMG_0110.JPG.54ea884244d0e3dc808635204821ba44.JPG

Fury: Thanks for posting a photo of your gun.

My next purchase?? Well . . . I'm looking for any rare Sako.
And as always looking for a rare M72.

Either:
A Trg-s, preferably in 6.5x55 or .308 but any small calibre will do.
Or:
An AV in 9.3x62
Or: Both!

Most probably though is a .22lr, and that might not even be a Sako...

I guess I'm getting too old to really think about my next Sako. There is only one rifle made by Vern O'Brien on my bucket list and that one is the Javelina. As for L46 rifles I would really love to fall into an estate where the Big Four (218 Bee, 22 Hornet, 25-20, 7x33) existed in the collection. I keep looking but pricing is way out there to the extent that they are becoming unrealistic. But one day I might get lucky. You never know.

rick

I'm sorry, but I am going backwards. When guns look like Star Wars devices, I am no longer interested. I keep looking for older nice original guns that I can shoot. My biggest fear is that more and more people see something in these latest contraptions and all my old stuff may become worth less each year.

I really don't care, I buy them because I like them and the function still suits a purpose. I doubt that in 5o years, someone will look at some morphodite aggregate of plastic and stainless steel and say "Wow, isn't that a beauty!"

Yep Kirk. We are in total agreement and have had that discussion before. I for one don't understand what the young people see in them. It is obvious that they are influenced by all of the bang, bang, shootemup that they see on TV and in the movies. For what it is worth, I wouldn't give a plug nickel for one of them. To me they are basically worthless pieces of metal and plastic that only serve to waste ammo and make a lot of noise in the process. As to the issue of whether enough collectors will come along, I think the jury is out on that one.

rick

Kirk, I believe we're very close to the end of the fifty years already. I went to the Fort Worth gun show yesterday, and I would say it consisted of 50% black guns, 25% flea market and 25% all other guns as a group with what you're probably interested in representing way less than 1% of the other gun group. I saw maybe 5 Sakos made before 1975. Rick, I have no right to say what you should do regarding your Big Four. But two of my Big Four are a 26" pencil barrel bofors marked Deluxe 264 (one with a bear floorplate and the other with the buffalo) that I did not purchase because when I found them 10 years ago they were $3,500 each. I now look back and think what a mistake I made. I do regret not buying them!

Douglastwo: Yep, got it right . . . wisdom speaks this . . . "now" is the time to purchase a rare gun. And . . . bargain hunters . . . are always looking and wishing, and never purchasing. It's like the hunter that spies a large buck and never shoots at it because, another bigger buck may show up.

For Enot. Nobody is talking about bargain hunting. At least I am not. But when the price goes above what is reasonable in terms of market value one has to assess such a large expenditure in several terms. The value of the piece as a safe queen and the ability to resell at the price paid or a higher price. The old notion of buy low sell high or at least break even comes into play. Makes no sense to buy high and never be able to get your money out of a piece. Another name for this is good money management. Paying too much for something makes no sense unless you are really in love with the piece or just don't care if you ever get out what you paid. I would rather pay a reasonable price given market value and condition than compete in an auction where bidders just bid for the sake of bidding not caring how high the price goes as long as they win. That philosophy has resulted in my not getting several pieces that I really wanted. On the other hand it has meant that I had the funds needed to acquire many more pieces that I would have not been able to afford had I just went ape shit and paid a price that was way over my head and significantly above what the piece was worth.

rick

Rickengines: Let me now quote your writing in this thread . . . "I would really love to fall into an estate where the big four (218 Bee, 22 hornet, 25-2o, 7 x 33) existed in the collection."

Do your really have a short term memory?

Or do you think everyone else does?

Scavengers (who call themselves collectors) looking to capitalize on a helpless widow, are in greatly admired by no one.

Enot

Don't put words in my mouth. I never said or implied taking advantage of anyone. Perhaps you have but that's not me. Keep your comments civil and try to add value to our conversation.

rick

Rick: You are a shameful person. Not only do you seek to cheat widows, but I suspect that after underpaying them you also rape them then take the food from the mouths of their orphans. Probably kill the dog and burn the house as you leave a path of scorched earth in your wake. If it weren't for the righteousness of moral arbiters like enotstehw the likes of you would run rampant in the used gun world.

Hey fellas, enough is enough is enough already. If I did not know that you are all joking, I would think you were serious. Have a wonderful day and thank God if you are not in the flood zone. Sakojim.

robinpeck, I have a Blackbear, and the Grizzly. The Blackbear is in 308. I used it last deer season to bag my buck.
I like the short fluted barrel with the sling band attached. The stock has a very good no slip feel to it also.
The Grizzly is the same as a Blackbear but just with a wood stock.
I really like both rifles.

I really like the metal work on the Blackbear. I now have one in 30-06. It fits me like glove. I also wish I had another one in 9.3x62. That caliber is becoming quite popular in Canada.

Last edited:
On the Black Bear I'm using Q-D Talley rings and a Talley Receiver Peep sight instead of the open sights on the barrel. For me its a better height than an Original Sako peep (which I tried) and can also be used as a"ghost ring" sight. I like the Talley Q-D rings too (with or without the levers). It means you have to use slip-on Talley bases and you also have to file off one rear recoil lug on the rear base (which doesn't seem to do anything anyway) in order to fit the Talley peep, but its a nice solid set up.

2529.JPG

1994.JPG

DSC009073.JPG

My next Sako...2 down and 3 more to go. I been buying Sako ai 223 in the classic stock for my daughters. I bought my oldest daughter one, had one already for myself. Now just need to find 3 more for other daughters. I’m trying to get all the same models as our budget allows for the purchase of them as they are found. I find all kinds but really only like the one with the orange rubber butt pad and no iron sights. I have a varmint model too, but too heavy for our daughters so I opted the classic stock version. The deluxe just too much money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back