• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Tikka 12-70 3” ?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

stephen novick

I just purchased a very nice Tikka 12-70. I’m going crazy wondering if I can use 3” Turkey load. I’m sure 70 means 70mm. But if this gun is from the 70’s or 80’s There is now way 3” was available. Can anyone give me some insight. The 3 1/2 shell fits in entirely. So I’m guessing I’m ok. But now I’m thinking of the cone at the end of barrel. Has anyone shot these with 3”

70mm is 2.76". Whether the "70" represents the shell length or not, I don't know. I shot a ton of 3" shells back in the 1970's & up until now in guns so marked. I had a Browning Superposed O/U from the 60's that was chambered for 3" shells, so I'm sure they were available. 3-1/2" shells haven't been around for that long. I'm guessing around 25 years or so. Not sure what you mean by "cone" at the end of the barrel, as the end of the barrel is "choked" to control pattern size/density. Never "guess" about anything when it comes to pulling the trigger. Surely your shotgun is stamped in some fashion to denote chamber length to conform to CIP standards. Take pics of all the stampings on the shotgun & post them & our members may be able to help you.

I bought a box of Remington nitro 2 3/4 today . I’m not even going to chance anything. Don’t see any markings on exterior of barrel. They must be somewhere else

Sorry Thanks Paul I thought Bloo was on thread. I had no idea 3” 3 1/2 in was out in those days . Unless ammo was just in Duck hunting options I did not know there was Turkey ammo in 3” back then

70mm is 2.76". Whether the "70" represents the shell length or not, I don't know. I shot a ton of 3" shells back in the 1970's & up until now in guns so marked. I had a Browning Superposed O/U from the 60's that was chambered for 3" shells, so I'm sure they were available. 3-1/2" shells haven't been around for that long. I'm guessing around 25 years or so. Not sure what you mean by "cone" at the end of the barrel, as the end of the barrel is "choked" to control pattern size/density. Never "guess" about anything when it comes to pulling the trigger. Surely your shotgun is stamped in some fashion to denote chamber length to conform to CIP standards. Take pics of all the stampings on the shotgun & post them & our members may be able to help you.
Gentlemen,
To answer the question about "forcing cones" There are two cones involved in a shotgun barrel. The first is after the breach area where the shell resides, the forcing cone there is sometimes after market made longer, as this somewhat smooths the shot in transition down the barrel then into the choke cone, which is often lengthened as well thus reducing felt "kick". It is used by many trap & skeet competition shooters. As for the shell length, as Mr. Paulson shows the shell length looks like a 2 3/4" shell is safe. You should contact Valmet & Tika to be sure. Hope this helps, Best of luck B/T
Edit !. Mr. Paulson ,I had a Citori O/U that shot 3 1/2" shells that I shot ONCE!! & never again with 3 1/2" shells. It was a most unpleasant experience!!

Last edited:
Sorry Thanks Paul I thought Bloo was on thread. I had no idea 3” 3 1/2 in was out in those days . Unless ammo was just in Duck hunting options I did not know there was Turkey ammo in 3” back then
Did a little Google search & found the 3" 12 gauge shell was introduced in 1935 & the 20 gauge 3" hit the market in 1954. Mossberg introduced the 3-1/2" chambered shotgun in 1988 & Federal made the shells to fit it. Unless you are shooting steel shot the 3-1/2" shells are superfluous, IMHO. Also found that a Cabela's in Pennsylvania has a used 12-70 12ga/222 Rem combo listed & it is chambered for 2-3/4" shells. Found another site that reviewed the Tikka with O/U shotgun barrels & claimed it had 3" chambers. Just FYI.

My daughter has a coyote Den behind her house . Coyote’s make and the female came after him. He is a Big Husky . Pups must be n the ground. They did a # on him. So I’m going in the next day or so. Remington Nitro it is

A lighted railroad flair in the den, & an auto loading shot gun with 4 or 6 shot may do a lot in eliminating the coyote problem, just MHO!! B/T

12/70 is standard European notation for a 12 gauge, 70mm chamber which equates to 2-3/4". That is the size specified by the manufacturer and I, for one, am not inclined to try anything longer even though it will chamber. A 12 gauge 3" chamber would be marked 12/76. The vast majority of Tikka shotguns have 70mm chambers. The only 3" chambers might be on a late 512 double.

The chamber marking will be on the barrels near the breech. If I remember correctly, Tikka marks them on the left side. The chamber markings may be visible with the gun open, or you may have to remove the barrels to see them.

Is your gun an over/under or a combination gun? What model?

Latest posts

Back