• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

The very first Sako/Tikka collaboration

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Very cool rifle. What's "the rest of the story"??

It was the new rifle adopted by the Civil Guard in 1928. Most of the rifles had barrels made on a contract with SIG in Switzerland but Tikka solicited a contract with Sako and provided about 5k barrels as well, making for the first collaboration between Sako and Tikka. The rifle was researched in the Finnish national archives using the serial number and Civil Guard district number on the rifle. Of note, Mikkeli is where Mannerheim kept his headquarters in both the Winter War and Continuation War. He was the supreme commander of Finnish forces in the wars.

Didn't the civil guard purchase their own weapons, which musta been pricey for outdoorsman and hunters like Simo Hayha.

Didn't the civil guard purchase their own weapons, which musta been pricey for outdoorsman and hunters like Simo Hayha.
Not exactly, some who had means could cover part of the cost of their rifle through a program but most were state funded. I do have one m/28-30 whose owner was a wealthy farmer and he paid to have it made, and later carried it to war in both the Winter War and Continuation War. He was combat engineer.

The Sako Model 581 was perhaps the first sporting rifle on which Sako and Tikka collaborated. It was essentially a Tikka design and was produced by both companies and sold under their respective names. I can't recall the model name/number under which it was sold by Tikka, but it had six forward locking lugs and used the parallel Tikka scope dovetails. Medium length action for .243 and .308.

The Sako Model 581 was perhaps the first sporting rifle on which Sako and Tikka collaborated. It was essentially a Tikka design and was produced by both companies and sold under their respective names. I can't recall the model name/number under which it was sold by Tikka, but it had six forward locking lugs and used the parallel Tikka scope dovetails. Medium length action for .243 and .308.
According to Arma Fennica, the Sako L581 was originally designed by Tikka. 50 prototypes were built in 1982. When Sako took over Tikka, it became a joint project. The rifles were made at Tikkakoski and marketed as the Tikka 551 and 555, and Sako L581. A total of 1777 rifles were made from December 1982 through December 1983, all in .308 or .243. I believe most were marked as Tikka, but I am not sure of that. There are very few in the United States. So far I have found no information as to what might be the difference between the Tikka 551 and 555. Illustrations in the book show only the target version of the jointly branded rifle.

Latest posts

Back