• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Standard or Metric

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Murray Brook

Hope someone can help. I plan on rebarreling my Sako A II 22/250. My smith will do it but isn't set up for metric and wants to know if the barrel threads are metric or standard. It would be good if I knew before I shipped. Would someone here know if they are S or M. TKS

Last edited:
I’m not a gunsmith but informed by a local one that Sako barrels threads are metric…
So he would not work on Sako rebarrel jobs.

I’m not a gunsmith but informed by a local one that Sako barrels threads are metric…
That may be true of the current models, but as stonecreek says, all the L & A series rifles I have rebarelled were 1"x16tpi. Any limitations are strictly confined to what the smith's lathe will do regardless of thread.

The gunsmith was probably thrown off by the L57 which was metric (25mm) as well as having an oddball thread pitch of approximately 17 TPI that I understand is tedious to duplicate. Some references also show the L57 as using a thread that was a bit flattened on top.

Curiously, the early L61R's had the same 1" shank as the L579. Sometime early in production that was changed to 1.046" (probably to better accommodate belted magnum calibers). The L46 and L461 had a shank of .855". These figures are all from the Frank de Haas book "Bolt Action Rifles".

When the "91" series came along all of the action threads were increased to the same diameter as the large action.

Last edited:
The gunsmith was probably thrown off by the L57 which was metric (25mm) as well as having an oddball thread pitch of approximately 17 TPI that I understand is tedious to duplicate. Some references also show the L57 as using a thread that was a bit flattened on top.

Curiously, the early L61R's had the same 1" shank as the L579. Sometime early in production that was changed to 1.046" (probably to better accommodate belted magnum calibers). The L46 and L461 had a shank of .855". These figures are all from the Frank de Haas book "Bolt Action Rifles".

When the "91" series came along all of the action threads were increased to the same diameter as the large action.
I had two L57s rebarreled by Pac-Nor. They never even blinked. I always tell people the most expensive & slowest way to have a barrel installed is to have "your" gunsmith do it. Just send the dang gun to the barrel maker. They will properly install it with a warrantee, faster & cheaper. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I had two L57s rebarreled by Pac-Nor. They never even blinked. I always tell people the most expensive & slowest way to have a barrel installed is to have "your" gunsmith do it. Just send the dang gun the the barrel maker. They will properly install it with a warrantee, faster & cheaper. Just sayin'.
I’ve only had one AII rebarreled, I had Douglas Barrels do it. No question ever arose on thread size issues…None

Only metric barrel shanks I know off the top of my head are TRG and 85/XL with the M27x1,5 thread. I think many people just assume these things. Also the barrel isn't pressed on, like one Beretta USA rep seems to think. Not welded, not glued.

Edit: forgot about 85/XS with M24x1,5. I can see how one would stumble on one and assume all are metric, or inch.

Last edited:
On line photos..depicting threaded barrel shanks

Standard or Metric Standard or Metric
They do appear to be either squared off or galled …one or the other.
I have heard that they don’t come off easily.

On line photos..depicting threaded barrel shanks

View attachment 31537View attachment 31538
They do appear to be either squared off or galled …one or the other.
I have heard that they don’t come off easily.
Nice pics of what very few people ever see. The squared off tips on the barrel thread are part of the specs they were cut to. Threads come with "sloppy" fit (like the bolts you buy at the hardware store) on up to a Grade 5 Interference Fit (where the threads actually "crush" together with the male & female threads becoming the exact same dimension). Most rifle makers specify what is called a 2B Fit (what is pictured) with a runout of no more than .0002". This allows for the barrel to be screwed to the action without distorting either thread & letting the "crush" occur between the barrel shoulder & the action face. This is what keeps the barrel tight to the action & it takes very little actual force to accomplish that. I have seen BR shooters install a barrel @ the range & tighten it with only their hands. Most rifle makers today overtighten & even use thread locker on the barrel threads. I hate them for that!!

Gunsmiths and machine shops are two different things. The business about metric versus US customary versus oddball pitch or V shape, truncated, multiple start, Acme, versus Whitworth or whatever is absolutely not an issue at all for a machine shop with a CNC lathe/turning center and a little knowledge. With CNC and live tooling, they can do pretty much anything with precision. But all this can be a non-starter or a total disaster for a gunsmith with a $1,500.00 manual lathe in the back office depending on the smith's skill level as a true machinist. The suggestion to send it to the barrel manufacturer is a solid one - they don't stay in business if they don't know what they are doing and have the equipment to do it.

Back