• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Share your Records findings here!

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I received my factory information on my L57…I was wondering if anyone knows what “dpt w/20” means? Also what does “lubbal” mean on the others?

Attachments

• 687E2B76-8376-458C-9903-D9361DA9B39D.jpeg
    687E2B76-8376-458C-9903-D9361DA9B39D.jpeg
    25 KB · Views: 20
"Lubbal" indicates that serial number was assigned to an action-only, not a finished rifle. Sako supplied L57 actions to other manufacturers who produced rifles on them for numerous proprietary brands like Ward's, Colt, and NAACO.

The letter and number codes indicate some of the features of a rifle such as with or without sights, whether walnut or birch stock, etc. However, we do not have complete information on exactly which features are indicated by which number/letter codes. We do know that "dpt" does indicate a walnut stock.

Thank you! If you are collecting information mine is a “sporter” perhaps they designated between sporter and Heavy Barrel

The Heavy Barrels were noted with an "R" for "raskas", meaning heavy or fat in the inspection records, the Deluxes were marked either "Dlx" or "Deluxe", and full stocks were marked "Mann". Standard sporters had no notation. About 1968 the shipping records began segregating the Standards, Deluxes, Mannlichers, and Heavy Barrels on separate pages so it is a bit easier to know a rifle's configuration (as well as to find it in the shipping records which are not in serial number order.)

So far as we have been able to determine, there are no notations in the factory records that will tell us things like the floorplate pattern on a Deluxe, or whether a barrel was stamped "Bofors Steel". Of course, the vast majority of Sakos in the U.S. were originally shipped to the U.S. importer at the time (F.I., Garcia, Stoeger), but we do run across a lot of Sakos in the U.S. which originally went to European outlets. Most of these were likely "bring backs" by U.S. Servicemen stationed in Europe; and some were shipped to Rod & Gun clubs located on or near U. S. bases. Perhaps the most interesting note in the shipping records are a few that went to "U.S. Embassy". These appear to be presentations to visiting American dignitaries such as one presented to Vice-President Lyndon Johnson in 1962 and three Deluxe Finnbears in 7mm Rem Mag presented to each of the Apollo 11 Astronauts.

Received a couple factory records for some recently acquired pieces.

Model L461 No. 104730 in .223 Bofors marked. Insp. Sept 5 1968. Shipped to Mssers firearms co. England on Sept 18 1968

Model L579 No. 43922 in .308 deluxe. Insp. March 1 1965. Shipped to Albrecht Kind in Germany on March 3 1965

Of the 3 records requests I have made, 2 were shipped to Albrecht Kind. Both have triple white line spacers and both deluxe models. All 3 originally went to overseas countries.

I've sent another round of rifles to the Records Service, and here are the results:

1) L61R deluxe in .264WinMag #2303: Inspected on 10/12/1962, shipped the same day in shipping lot #10298, and was one of twenty-four (24) .264WM rifles in that shipment to Firearms International. This rifle has the seldom encountered Moose/Antlers engraved trigger guard assembly.

2) L61R deluxe in .264WinMag #38566: Inspected on 3/16/1970, shipped on 3/19/1970 in shipping lot #5221, and was one of twelve (12) .264WM deluxe sporters in that shipment to Firearms International. This rifle has the rare 25" barrel.

3) L46 sporter in .218Bee #13263: Inspected on 5/7/1953, shipped on 5/8/1953 in shipping lot #7476, and was one of twenty (20) .218Bee rifles in that shipment to Firearms International.

4) L579 deluxe in .308Win #29447: Inspected on 9/11/1963, shipped on 12/3/1963 in shipping lot #2217 to Kemr. Simelius, and was one of seven (7) .308 rifles in that shipment. This rifle has the "FishGods" floorplate/trigger guard engraving pattern, and Kemr. Simelius is General Sakari Simelius, who was the Commander-In-Chief of the Finnish Defense Forces in 1963. (See additional Post on the history of this rifle).

Interesting stuff !
DeerGoose

Last edited:
L61R no. 4647 264mag standard Sporter. Inspected on 7/31/63. Shipped to FI on 8/22/63. I've had this rifle for a while and bought it as a shooter grade, for bumps, bruises, slight bluing loss at the sharp edges and the fixed swivels were replaced with studs. Still a nice rifle, with very sharp rifling. Well, it doesn't have a front sight. Absolutely no indication that the sight has been removed or that the barrel has been reblued. Every standard Sporter I have or have seen has a front sight. Is it possible this rifle made it out of the factory without one? Doesn't matter, just curious

I've never seen a Standard Sporter of that vintage that did not have a front sight. And I've never seen any advertisement stating the Standard was available without a front sight. But knowing Sako, I don't know of a single reason they couldn't have produced one. They made a lot of other unusual and non-cataloged rifles, so why not a Standard without a front sight.

Possibility: The Finnbear .264's came in two barrel lengths, 24.4" and 26". If it were a 26" barrel some previous owner may have felt the barrel length was excessive and had it cut back and recrowned just behind the front sight. This would leave it about the length of the shorter barrels. If you can take a close-up photo of the crown and post it here then maybe someone could tell you if it is original. Also, measure the length of your barrel by running at cleaning rod down the barrel to the bolt face. If the length is something other than 24.4" (620mm) or 26" (660mm) then that is evidence that it has been cut.

I hope I didn't just overload the system. It didn't give me an option to resize the photos. Anyway, looks identical to another 264 in length and appearance.

Nice rifles. I measured the barrel on my 26" Deluxe 264 with front sight and it measured exactly 26". The ramp starts 2.375" from the muzzle. If you cut the barrel at the beginning of the ramp, the barrel would be 23.625". You would have to cut the barrel under the ramp to end up with a 24.4" barrel. Again, those are two very nice rifles.

Yes, the barrel length and muzzle crown both indicate that it is factory original and not a longer cut-back barrel. That leaves it something of a mystery as to how a standard came sans front sight. As we like to say, "Never Say 'Never' With Sakos".

Sako L61R serial number 8782 is in caliber .300 (H&H) Magnum and is a Deluxe Sporter. It was inspected 24 September, 1964.

It appears that this rifle was booked for shipping to Firearms International on 14 Octobe 1964; however, the serial number of the .300 Magnum rifles shipped on this date are not listed, which is apparently an oversight due to human error. The serial numbers of .300 Magnum rifles shipped up though August 1964 and those shipped after October 1964 are properly recorded and 8782 is not among them, nor does its number appear in .300 Magnum rifles shipped during 1965. Therefore, we conclude #8782 is highly likely to be within the 30 rifles in this caliber shipped on 14 October 1964. There was one such rifle shipped to what appears to be "Weaver Brothers" on 22 October 1964, so we cannot rule out the long shot that #8782 is this rifle.

We have not previously come across bookings of shipments which failed to record the serial numbers, so this omission is an unusual event.

Sako Model L61R serial number 12490 is in caliber .375 H&H and is a Deluxe model. It was Inspected 27 September 1967. It was booked for shipping in lot #39436 on 9 April 1969 to Firearms International as one of four similar rifles in that shipment.

...........Sako Model L61R serial number 12490 is in caliber .375 H&H and is a Deluxe model. It was Inspected 27 September 1967. It was booked for shipping in lot #39436 on 9 April 1969 to Firearms International as one of four similar rifles in that shipment.

WOW Ksmith ! You just got my attention. I only own 2 Deluxe L61R's made prior to 1972 that are not stamped Bofors and they are 25-06 and 375. I have been trying for 35+ years to buy a Bofors marked Deluxe 375. And you're telling me that you've seen a shipping lot (39436) that has 4 Deluxe 375's, and one of those was inspected in September 1967. With that early of an inspection date it should have the lighter contour barrel with the 0.600" diameter muzzle, rather than the 0.650" muzzle found on the 1969 and later rifles when Sako beefed up the the barrel and stock. Do the other 3 Deluxe 375's on the shipping log have a early serial number close to serial number 12490? Please share more info regarding the 375's if you can.

After replying to the above post, that low serial number 12490 seemed to be ringing a bell with me so I did a search of my PM's and was about to give up when I found a PM I had posted to one of our members almost 5 years ago. I had just returned home from the November 2017 Tulsa gunshow where I had seen that very 375. I wanted to discuss it with him to see what he thought of it. If I recall correctly, I passed on buying it because someone had added a rear sight to it. Looking back, I should have purchased it. I'm still looking.

WOW Ksmith ! You just got my attention. I only own 2 Deluxe L61R's made prior to 1972 that are not stamped Bofors and they are 25-06 and 375. I have been trying for 35+ years to buy a Bofors marked Deluxe 375. And you're telling me that you've seen a shipping lot (39436) that has 4 Deluxe 375's, and one of those was inspected in September 1967. With that early of an inspection date it should have the lighter contour barrel with the 0.600" diameter muzzle, rather than the 0.650" muzzle found on the 1969 and later rifles when Sako beefed up the the barrel and stock. Do the other 3 Deluxe 375's on the shipping log have a early serial number close to serial number 12490? Please share more info regarding the 375's if you can.
260974D1-F434-4D7F-8AD6-282F316912B0.jpeg

Latest posts

Back