• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako Varmit 222 S491

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

arcoop68

Hi
I have just purchased a Sako S491 Varmit in 222,the barrel is 24inches long.
The person who i brought the rifle from, has had the rifle since new and it has only fired 40 rounds.

What would be a good load to start with,also type of projectiles powder primers to use.
Thanks

Attachments

• Sako Varmit 222 S491
    SDC11108.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 29
Welcome aboard! I've moved your post to Discussions about S491 (and others). More people will see it there.
S-A

A classic 222 load that is also listed in the Lyman Manual as their accuracy load :
19.5 gr 4198 with std small rifle primer (avoid Rem 7-1/2 in Sakos -- too hard) and 50 gr Sierra Blitz or BlitzKing
This load is comparable to the standard factory loading and shoots like a dream. There is also a listing for 3031 in the same velocity range that I have found very accurate, too, and neither shows signs of high pressure.

1/2 in Sakos -- too hard) </p> -sbdjld8351 said:
(avoid Rem 7
Please elaborate. I've used a variety of SR primers in a variety of Sakos and have never come across a problem.

I have a couple of L-461s and a couple of L-46s, and with the standard strength firing pin spring I have had missfires with Rem 7-1/2s. I later read that the harder cups in the 7-1/2 won't reliably dent with the standard L-46/L-461 Sako striker springs. Remington developed the 7-1/2 as their benchrest primer for the 700/40X actions. I have seen a listing for a Sako spring that provides a heavier fall. I suspect Brownell's has it. If your rifle is an L-491, I am unfamiliar with the model. It may have a heavier spring.

That's curious. I use Rem 7 1/2's in several Sakos (all either L461 or A-I) and have never had a problem. I have had occassional ignition failures with a couple of the Mini Mark X actions with various primers, however the Mini Mark X I currently own has been flawless, even with Rem 7 1/2's.

Like Stonecreek, I've never had a failure-to-fire in an L461 or AI action.....with any primer.

My only use of extra power firing pin springs, has been to help reduce primer "cratering". But.....in doing so, one will have to live with an increased bolt handle lift effort, and a somewhat increased trigger pull.

I would suggest.......

To comfirm that the firing pin protrustion is 0.050 to 0.055 inches.

To comfirm that the headspace of the ammo being used, is a close match to the chamber headspace.

Hope this helps.

Kevin
Sako Varmit 222 S491

Kevin: I think your suggestion to check firing pin protrusion and headspace is an exellent one when you're having ignition problems. We naturally assume that the firing pin isn't hitting the primer "hard enough" when we have an ignition failure, but the problem may not be with an underpowered spring -- you can't hit something hard if you can't reach it!

I can't recall where, but I have seen offerings for a replacement firing pin spring for the small Sako actions that increases striker force from 16 lbs to 30 lbs. The heavier spring is recommended for ignition problems. Rem 7-1/2-loaded shells in my L-46 and my 1970-vintage L-461 had to be cocked and fired a second time to light the 7-1/2s in both guns, and I couldn't find any performance difference between the CCIs and the Remingtons, so I load CCIs and know my shells will fire reliably in all of my guns. I'm happy that your guns haven't had a problem. However, for those who experience the problem, they'll either need to upgrade their firing pin spring or switch to a primer with a softer cup.
Who knows -- the springs may have grown softer with usage and age. I know I certainly have.

Back