• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

SAKO L61R BASES TOO LONG?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

I BOUGHT THIS TALLEY 2-PIECE SCOPE BASE EXTENDED FRONT FOR MY SAKO L61R 7MM REM MAG, BUT THE FRONT BASE SITS BACK TOO FAR FOR MY APRECIATION, IS THIS NORMAL?

d4e6e3ff-1788-49c3-9e23-d2cb767e116f.JPG

From the picture (if that's your rifle and scope), it doesn't look as if you need an extended front base, with the long mounting space of that scope. Wouldn't a regular front base work? On the other hand, I think you could just reverse the extended front base, and it wouldn't overhang the ejection port.

That appears to be a beautiful rifle, Javier!

Last edited:
Please share a photo of the entire rifle. The curvature of the stock at the hinged floorplate looks like a safari style custom stock.
You have a lot of scope tube space to utilize so do not need an extended front base. In fact take a look at the scope tube closely and it appears to have been mounted further forward previously.

Last edited:
There is no need for extended bases in that set up. Standard long bases do the trick there.

By the way I have noticed that model 85 long actions are longer (about 1cm) than the L61r actions. I do not know the reason for it given that both are designed for the same catridge lengths.

Beatiful rifle coupled with a top notch scope. Congrats Javier

I think some of us are barking up the wrong tree by focusing on the fact that the front base is extended. Looking at the photo, it looks to me like the base isn't all the way forward on the dovetail. That suggests that either the dovetail or the base is out of spec. I had the same problem with a set of (non-extended) Conetrol bases on a long-action Sako many years ago. I filed the grooves in the Conetrol base until it would slide forward to its proper position. I later sold the gun and kept the Conetrol mounts and rings. I have since tried to use those bases on several other guns and the front base always would slide well forward of its correct position covering the dovetail platform. From this I concluded that the gun (coincidentally, also a 7 mag) was out of spec rather than the Conetrol mount.

We need to hear from Javier to clarify exactly what problem he is describing.

Latest posts

Back