• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako L57 .243win Heavy Barrel

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

pore67

So here's mine. I got these fotos from the store I bought the gun from. It's now being rebarreled and bedded at Peuralan Asepaja. The only gunsmith in Finland that drill's himself the barrels he sells. The new barrel is going to be with a 9 or 8,5 inch rate of twist.

I think the stock of the rifle has been shortened at some point. But less than half an inch I guess. Other than that the rifle is in original condition. Though I'm not an expert? It shoots pretty good. Using Sako Speedhead ammo I got three shot groupings all less than 0.6inches. And I'm pretty inexperienced with scoped rifles. Having fired less than 50 rounds with a scoped rifle during my lifetime. The scope is Docter Classic 2.5-10x48.

I'll post some more pics when the project is done.

And thank's everybody for a great source of Sako knowledge and information!

Attachments

• Sako L57 .243win Heavy Barrel
    1.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 62
    2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 52
    3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 56
    4.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 55
    5.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 55
    6.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 54
Let me get this right, you are re-barreling that factory L57 Varmint that shoots .6 groups because.......?

I kind of saw that coming :D And I'm still trying to answer that question to myself. Thank god I'm not married.. But you are right. It's accurate enough for succesfull hunting already. I just got greedy? I guess there are things you just can't justify rationally..

Pore67,

I love your answer. Honest, without rationalization. Sometimes we just want to do things because we want to do them. Good for you.

And by the way, welcome to the Sako Collectors Club! Always glad to see new folks, especially from the Sako homeland.

Pore, Welcome and thanks for sharing!
You have a very nice rifle.
Do not feel bad about your decision, you have made a good one that works for you.
You can still put the barrel back at a later date.

I am interested to see that you are not sure if .6 groups is ok.
I think that is quite acceptable, for the rifle and scope you have, you will spend many years and a lot of money to reduce that by much.
The L57 was designed to be shot with open sights, diopter sights, and not from a sand bag type rest. The heel of the stock drops off very sharply and the comb is low for most big scopes. Also the 243 barks and jumps when fired so is hard to control consistently.
Be happy with your results, any game will feel honored to be taken with a Sako L57 and sub Moa accuracy!
I shoot alot with an early L579, and after the stock was broken badly many years ago, i have made many changes to get it to shoot smaller groups. None of these i would recommend to your L57.
L-46

I got one of those a few months ago. I had a Pre-Garcia Bofors heavy barrel, but sold it when I found this L-57. It is the bottom rifle, the others are 222 mags, 6mm PPC and a 220 swift, all heavy barrels. They are rare and quite nice...

Sako L57 .243win Heavy Barrel

Back