• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

SAKO AV Deluxe

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

My L57 chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor shoots a 155 grain Lapua bullet @ 2550 fps, which is exactly what the Lapua 6.5x55 Swede factory load does. The 6.5 Swede, the 260 Rem, & the 6.5 Creedmoor are ballistically the same. Just different cases & different marketing ploys. The differences between them is not the ballistics or terminal performance, but rather in action size, magazine compatibility, & ammo/brass availability, not to mention rifle availability. The Creedmoor wins that contest hands down.
Agreed entirely. My handloads can barely get the 55SE to match the Creedmoor MV with about 46-47 grains versus 42-43 grains powder. For the same bullet, the kinetic energy at impact is proportional to the square of the velocity. I do, however, live for the fact that the Swede case was designed in the early 1880's! The throats are one 'long' taper at about 0.7 degrees, compared to the CM and many newer others at X of freebore then 1.5 degrees leade. You can load 142-147 long 'pointies' at/near 'jam' and still seat about 0.300" bearing surface along the neck. More importantly, that is one gorgeous rifle, and I actually prefer long actions.

"Factory" ballistics are one thing; case capacity and velocity potential are another. The Swede's small but notable advantage in case capacity means that, if loaded with optimal powders to identical pressures (which is just fine in a Sako action), that the Swede will yield a bit more velocity than the 6.5 Creedmoor. However, it takes a very experienced whitetail deer to discern the difference when struck by one or the other. Such a whitetail could probably also detect the difference if the round were a .260 Remington.

Like an astute salesman once told me, "They're 50 cents apiece, or I'll let you have a half-dozen for three dollars".

And the 270 always will get it done, adequately. Ask Jack Connor.
Maybe the most versatile whitetail and antelope cartridge ever designed -- not that it won't take an elk quite handily if called upon. My Finnbear .270 is my "serious" deer rifle. Besides that, I took blue wildebeest, kudu, warthog, and a range of lesser African game with the guide's ancient Musgrave .270 using the cheap promo Hornady "Whitetail" ammunition. All succumbed timely, most with a single shot.

A good condition AV in 6.5x55 has just come up here in Australia on “usedguns.com.au” at AUD $2450 , don’t see many in this calibre over here ……

A good condition AV in 6.5x55 has just come up here in Australia on “usedguns.com.au” at AUD $2450 , don’t see many in this calibre over here ……
You don't see many in that caliber anywhere. At the current exchange rate that's about $1625 USD. It would attract a lot of interest here. I've only seen a handful & even fewer for sale.

Back