• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako A1 Custom Tony Barnes Pistol ~ Help!?!?

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

dukhnt

Hi guys! I' m stopping by in hopes someone here can help me with an issue that is way over my head. To make a long story short, I used to work at a gun store while going to college. Our gunsmith was Tony Barnes of Kimberly/Twin Falls, Idaho. Tony was an amazing person and gunsmith. He made the most beautiful pistol I have ever seen using a Sako action. The ones I saw were all built on the A1, but I understand he made some earlier ones as well. Sadly, Tony passed away before I ever had the chance to get one of these amazing pistols.I was recently able to obtain one that Tony had made for another friend of mine. Unfortunately, I have no idea what caliber this one was, and to my knowledge Tony never put any engraving on the pistols. It was a loooong time ago, but I can almost remember the original owner talking about the caliber that Tony had something with coming up with and there being a "B" in name of it (possibly for Barnes). Anyway, I have no idea what to do now. Hopefully someone here has heard of Tony and knows what I may be talking about and could maybe guide me or offer some much needed help. Thank you so much in advance for any help.

dukhnt,

At this stage of the game you are guessing at the appropriate cartridge. I would suggest taking/sending it to a qualified gunsmith and have a cerrosafe cast made of the chamber. From this cast he can determine the chamber dimensions and with a little research tell you what cartridge it is chambered for. I have seen chamber cast costs range from $25-$50. A small investment to ensure you don't damage the gun feeding it the wrong ammo.

John

Good idea, John.
dukhnt, Welcome to the forum. Can you post a couple pictures? I know there are some shooters on the forum that have pistols made on Sako actions. It would be nice to check out the craftsmanship.
S-A

Hi Dukhnt.

Love that handle -- what retreiver do you use? I used to hunt them hard, but age has crept up and I need to find a companion with young wheels!

Cerosafe is the only route to go. If your recollection of "B" is correct, a 218 Bee comes to mind. In that lengtht action, and a handgun, it would be sweeeet!

If you should decide to change out the trigger, I have a brand new Timney thatwas modified to drop in on my A1, but I decided to stay with the stock trigger.. Long story!!

God Bless

badshotlal

Hey guys...thanks for all the help and suggestions. Im really sorry I havent made any follow up comments. I had a situation at work, and wasnt able to spend much time at the computer.

Anyway, since I was here last, I believe I have discovered through some research that the caliber on this pistol is a 6 Barnes and Herrett. Tony Barnes and Mr. Herrett from Herrett stocks were both from Idaho. I hope this is the caliber and will be meeting with a gunsmith who has a rifle in this caliber. I will keep my fingers crossed.

badshot....I used to have a yellow lab, he just passed away earlier this month. He was a great dog and an even better friend. He will be missed.

As requested....here is a picture to give you guys an idea what Im talking about. Thanks again for all the help! Oh, and yea, I realize the scope is mounted wrong, and I remember the original owner telling me why...I just cant remember. I think it was because the bolt hits the power adjustment nob if Im not mistaken when mounted correctly.

Sako2.jpg

sako.jpg

Latest posts

Back