• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 85 Hunter 85 S score

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

gangsterofboats

I recently won this rifle in an auction, I thought it would go a lot higher than it did but I think a lot of folks didn’t bid because it’s in 22-250. I took a chance on it, and I think it’s actually brand new after receiving it. There is zero wear anywhere and the bore looks mint. The verdict is out until I put it on paper, but even if I have to rebarrel it I will be happy because it’s got a really nice looking stock, a top of the line Leupold VX-6 scope, and it’s a short action so I’ve got lots of options. These 85 rifles are really nice!

IMG_3424.jpeg

That is a really cool looking piece of wood!
Congrats!
🤔what’s not to love about a 22-250 ? Has the Creedmore and Nosler family of modern times made yet another widely popular cartridge obsolete?

Not obsolete, the internet “lore” regarding 22-250 is to never buy one used because of rapid throat erosion. People say they are for sale because the barrel is roasted. I’ve wanted one for a long time and just never got around to buying one.

Not obsolete, the internet “lore” regarding 22-250 is to never buy one used because of rapid throat erosion. People say they are for sale because the barrel is roasted. I’ve wanted one for a long time and just never got around to buying one.
First I've heard of the .22-250 being known for bore erosion. As best I can recall from the days when I paid attention to gun writers, the .22-250 was held in high regard because it offered .220 Swift performance with much less barrel erosion than the Swift.

Barrel maintenance is an often neglected responsibility. I respect the 22-250 & have used it to harvest over 500 deer (mostly does as bigger bodied bucks deserve a heavier bullet) & innumerable predators with factors including the ammo was easy to find, cheaper than .220 Swift & very accurate. I’ve never seen a burned out barrel on one yet.
This 85 has a beautiful stock, congrats in order….

Most of the folks who burn barrels out of a .22-250 or practically any other caliber fire repeatedly and don’t allow for any cooling period. I know I state the obvious but I constantly read the stupidity of folks complaining about it - when they admit how hot the gun gets. That 85 will outlast you if you simply treat it right. Beautiful wood, good for you!

Thanks! I briefly had an 85 Finnlight earlier this year but I could not get over the stock. It was so ugly I just couldn’t stand it. I love the idea of having a stainless rifle and I’m glad I found this one with a great looking walnut stock. The 85 design is really interesting and to me is the last of the “old” Sakos since the 90 has a new optics mounting solution.

I respect the 22-250 & have used it to harvest over 500 deer
A .22-250 is the only round with which I've taken two deer with one shot -- on purpose. This was many years ago when I was in my 20's, so I might not be so cavalier these days. Using a discontinued Nosler 55 grain Zippedo, I waited patiently for two does to graze adjacent to one another until their necks were lined up. Both dropped instantly at the shot and never wiggled. Of course, this was in the Texas Hill Country where we needed to take as many does and possible, so two at a time just seemed efficient.

A .22-250 is the only round with which I've taken two deer with one shot -- on purpose. This was many years ago when I was in my 20's, so I might not be so cavalier these days. Using a discontinued Nosler 55 grain Zippedo, I waited patiently for two does to graze adjacent to one another until their necks were lined up. Both dropped instantly at the shot and never wiggled. Of course, this was in the Texas Hill Country where we needed to take as many does and possible, so two at a time just seemed efficient.
Amazing. I've heard of things like this, but this is the first time I've heard it from a first-hand, trusted source.

Stonecreek, I’ve never done a double on deer, but always carry a couple of milled solids for the rare occasion on predators. Before we removed our feral hog population these solids with an extreme pointed tip did doubles & triples on hogs where they lined up and effective at ground level (versus elevated which makes lining up difficult)). On coyotes it has worked a few times but one needs to be quick in loading these rounds. Photo of milled bullet in 7mm-08 & photo of a pair of coyotes shot off a downed buck by one of our hunters, not a double but cool photo. IMG_4471.jpeg IMG_2398.jpeg

Amazing. I've heard of things like this, but this is the first time I've heard it from a first-hand, trusted source.
I'm honored to be regarded as a trusted source. Now maybe you'd like to hear about my experience with aliens in their UFOs and the time I saw a Sasquatch . . .

Regarding two-for-ones, I was with my grandson when we came across a huge flock of turkey gobblers about 150 yards away, and by their direction of travel were not going to get closer. He was carrying a Sako .308 Mannlicher, so I told him to try a shot (rifles are legal for turkeys in Texas). The shot missed, but put the turkeys into a frenzied mill. He shot again and two of them flopped on the ground. That averages 100%, right?

Reminiscent of Spaher's photo, here is my grandson (age 12 at the time) with a hog he shot one weekend, and the two coyotes he shot off of it the next weekend! The blind he shot from is in the background about 80 yards away. (I apologize for the Remington he's shooting, but his little brother was using the Sako I had originally restocked for him when he was nine. Sometimes you just have to make the best of things when a Sako is not available.)

Max's Coyotes 012 (1024x576).jpg

Was tagging along on a great friend’s antelope hunt several years ago. We had a video camera which another friend brought to film the event. My friend had a shot at a very nice goat but needed to wait until other animals cleared. At the shot the buck dropped immediately, however about 25 yds to the right a doe dropped her head and limped away, then fell. By the time we got there she had expired. The fired round had entered the buck, turned, exited diagonal unfortunately striking the doe. All of which was caught on video. My friend was distraught, he called the wildlife officer who came to the scene. Fortunately, the video and the witness accounts resulted in no penalty.

Last edited:
Back