• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

Sako 22-32 ”new model”

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Niklas

Hi!
I have inherited my grand fathers old Sako, a very nice pistol which I really like.

But it has for many years not been working quite properly, it has always been too many malfunctions. So faster shootings are not possible.

So last year I decided to give my Sako a real chance, I did a fully service. So I changed all springs and parts that were worn and the result was that I got rid of many types of malfunctions. But still there are too many, still appr 5%. I also tried out many different brands of ammo. But I found not one much better than another. Maybe the shorter ones like Norma 2 was slightly more realiable.

I have mainly two types of malfunctions left; 1. The cartridge case are not fully ejected, it is squeezed on its way out.
2. The cartridge is some times not loaded properly, not even picked up from magazine. But magazine is at right position.

Any of you experiencing the same problems and how did you solve it?

How reliable are your sakos and especially do you see any difference between older models and Triace.

Thanks for any tips or ideas!
Niklas

Sounds like your bolt isn't going all the way back when cycling, which would explain the poor ejection & failure to pick up a round out of the magazine. Try some ammo with more velocity or a heavier bullet. Lighter recoil spring might solve issue, also. Good luck!

IMG_2251.jpeg Thanks a lot for your answers!

Based on your answers I looked again to find any possible deviations and I found the washer for recoil spring was worn down over the years, the diameter was significantly less than the same washer for my .32. Could this be the reason? My thinking is that the washer isn’t perfectly perpendicular and therefor the friction increases? On Sako “new model” the washer has a different design, possibly of a reason, compared to Triace model. See attached pictures.. #48 is “new model”, #44 is Triace

I have an original spare part recoil spring so I think this is correct. I have also tried out ammo with different velocities and this has an impact for sure.

Attachments

• 43e98cf6-9868-4131-a1a1-17953cb01a5a.jpeg
    43e98cf6-9868-4131-a1a1-17953cb01a5a.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 14
  • bfc22b56-4d28-4259-bf2e-e86314506a12.jpeg
    bfc22b56-4d28-4259-bf2e-e86314506a12.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14
If your pistol cycles (ejects a round & chambers a round from the magazine) when you cycle it manually but not when fired, then the most likely cause is the bolt is not going far enough back from the recoil. So, anything that could inhibit bolt travel is a possible cause.

Limp wristing is a big possibility with short cycling auto pistols. Does this occur with both calibers? Tightening up the grip could cure the problem. Are you new to this pistol? Past experience?

Last edited:
Never heard of this before but I will think of it next time, thanks!
Limp wristing is a big possibility with short cycling auto pistols. Does this occur with both calibers? Tightening up the grip could cure the problem. Are you new to this pistol? Past experience?

Last edited:
Thanks all for your engagement in this :)
I was at the range today and investigated further if the bolt was going far enough back, and I think it does.

I had three malfunctions with case trapped/squeezed on its way out of 70 rounds (No feeding issues after replacement of the washer).
Then I saw that there were already a round in the chamber all three times. My thinking is that the magazine let’s go of the next round too fast and this disturbs the case.

For next time I will try to modify the lips of the magazine. Any of you have any clues about those distances on a Sako magazine? If you have any magazines that works properly, would you be so kind to measure?

Last edited:
Thanks all for your engagement in this :)
I was at the range today and investigated further if the bolt was going far enough back, and I think it does.

I had three malfunctions with case trapped/squeezed on its way out of 70 rounds (No feeding issues after replacement of the washer).
Then I saw that there were already a round in the chamber all three times. My thinking is that the magazine let’s go of the next round too fast and this disturbs the case.

For next time I will try to modify the lips of the magazine. Any of you have any clues about those distances on a Sako magazine? If you have any magazines that works properly, would you be so kind to measure?
If the gun cycles by hand please do not move the lips. Have you checked the "plastic?" buffer on the back of the barrel. If that is in the wrong way or wrong shape /size could cause problems.

If the gun cycles by hand please do not move the lips. Have you checked the "plastic?" buffer on the back of the barrel. If that is in the wrong way or wrong shape /size could cause problems.
It is not original part so it could be different in terms of dimensions and material. But it is located right and it seems to be quite the same dimensions as for Triace model.

Then I saw that there were already a round in the chamber all three times.
If there was an empty case in the chamber then the EXTRACTOR malfunctioned. This could be caused by a rough or dirty chamber, or by the extractor's edge being rounded from wear.

Thinking outside the ring and clutching at straws.
In the past have had trigger problems and a occasional mt shell caught in the slide. The grip that a previous owner had remanufactured for small hand was interfering with the trigger bar and also dragging on the slide depending on how hard I was holding.
I hate intermittent faults.

Thinking outside the ring and clutching at straws.
In the past have had trigger problems and a occasional mt shell caught in the slide. The grip that a previous owner had remanufactured for small hand was interfering with the trigger bar and also dragging on the slide depending on how hard I was holding.
I hate intermittent faults.
Yes me too, I will give it a last chance before I look for a new modern pistol :)

An update…
I finally found the cause for the “stovepipe”malfunction.
It was the ejector! On my model the ejector is placed one the magazine. I compared some magazines and found that the ejector apparently was too much worn. With another better ejector everything works fine!

A bit late to the party but I have a previously loved(?) TriAce (not 22/32) and had a continuing problem similar to the OP's which I put down to extractor/ejector issues. On the TriAce the ejector is fitted to the frame. The ejector was not worn but the fixing screws needed tighten. The extractor looked worn so was replaced. Still no cure. I noticed that many of the empty cases were ejected very limply.

Finally, based on advice through the TargetTalk.org forum I bought a modestly priced borescope to use with my phone (Teslong.com) and found that the problem was a substantial carbon ring at the end of the chamber. I spent two days cleaning it out using Boretech C4 Carbon Killer: soaked swabbing of barrel, leave some hours (overnight) and plenty of scrubbing with bore brushes - repeat. Eventually I removed the ring and the pistol has been faultless ever since. Can't recommend the borescope highly enough. Worth every penny.

Bob

A extra tip; make sure that the magazine is clean and has enough lube on it.

look at the bullets ( 22 LR and Short) CCI standard for example has a sort of "wax" on and often way to much, this wil also create problems with inserting and ejecting of the cases.

Latest posts

Back