• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New Riihimaki 22 Hornet

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

kirkbridgershooters

I picked up this Riihimaki 22 Hornet the other day and it shots as good as it looks. Mfg around 1958...

hqQ7JxP.jpg

That's a super find. As you know, the L46 Hornet is probably in at least the top three of the most sought-after Sakos. What are you shooting in it?

I have a Winchester pre-war model 70 carbine that I shoot and I have been using 40 grain V-Max bullets in it. I tried the same Ammo, but the magazine is so short that I had to seat the bullets deeper to have them to feed out of the magazine. Once that was done, the gun functioned and shot fine. I use Lil Gun powder...

Excellent acquisition. We are all drooling. You are a lucky guy. Was the guy you got it from still conscious when you snagged the rifle and ran to the car for the quick get away? Just kidding of course. There are so few of these out there that we all enjoy seeing one in excellent condition like the one you were lucky enough to snag. Take good care of it.

rick

You will not be disappointed with the Kirharski/Balvar setup. My first L46 .222 serial number 11,xxx sporter shot bug holes at 100 yards with same scope. What shocked me was I could remove scope and the plunger style rings, then re-install without changing point of impact, even at 100 yards! You will use a few more rounds to sight in, but will hold zero once locked in. Then could even use same scope on another rifle with another Kirharski base. Imagine that for old technology. The set screws, if used, will leave marks. Great find on the hornet.

The only problem with using the fine old Balvar 8 is that the design of the mount requires the scope to sit pretty high. The L46 comb is rather low, so you may find the combination not conducive to good eye alignment.

Tapered dovetails is one of the best parts of the scope mounting design. Set screws aren't necessary. Once the base is driven on it stays secure and recoil from shooting will keep the base tight.

Latest posts

Back