• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

new member old rifle

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

bobzila

G,day guy my name is Justin and I'm from Sydney Australia. This is my first post as i need some help. A mate of mine was given a rifle some years back and as he is not a shooter it has been turned over to me to sort out. After a few days of looking on the net i could not work out what sort of rifle it is besides the Sako branded action how ever after finding this forum and having a look i think it is a riihimaki l46? its a 222 rem and wile in what i would call fairly good condition besides some surface rust it has no bolt or magazine. so my question's to the experts are am i right in be leaving its a riihimaki l46 and is it possible to get a after market bolt and mag for this rifle.
Thanks in advance Justin.

Hello Bobzila and Wlecome!, from the pictures, looks to me that you are right, L46 Riihimaki, in the popular .222 ( some say "mythical status"). It a shame about the missing parts, I fear they may be very hard to find...Good Luck and G-day!-Bloo
Pardon my spelling, dyslexic keyboard skills

Bobzila:
Magazines are available in factory or aftermarket & the come up for sale for the 222 Rem quite regularly for around $100 US. The bolt is another matter. I have never seen a bolt for sale, but I imagine somewhere on the planet someone has one. It will be very difficult if not impossible to find a bolt and then you would have to check the headspace & possibly set the barrel back or adjust the chamber depth to get the headspace within the allowable tolerances. You might be better off selling the rifle as a parts gun. Seems there is always someone looking for a factory stock, bottom metal, sights, triggers, bolt release/stops, barrels, etc. If you want to get into Sako rifles you could use that money to buy a complete gun. The parts would have no import/export restrictions, so your market to sell would not be limited to Austrailia. The action would be the only part difficult to get out of Austrailia, but without a bolt it is of little value. Good Luck!

I have one missing the bolt also and I agree with PC, it is probably better to just sell the parts. If there was some emotional attachment to the gun I may have a different recommendation.

Also be aware that the action (bolt or no bolt) is considered a gun and is regulated in Australia and just about every other part of the world. Just dont throw it in the mail. You may have some guys in suits knocking at your door.

If you happen to come across a couple bolts, let me know.

Thanks

emmerth

thanks guys i have found some mags for it and have found a vixen 222rem that is going cheap as there is something wrong with the barrel. would the bolt from a vixen fit the l46 or would the barrel from the l46 fit the vixen. As for the laws in regard to actions in Australia you do not need a license or to register a action until a barrel has been fitted because with out a barrel the action can not fire.

Bolts won't interchange, barrels will with some work ( headspace ). Barrel may already be newer with the rear barrel sight. Mine is dovetail peep

Bobzila:
You might be better off & spend less money putting a new barrel on the L461 Vixen. With a quality match grade barrel it would be a little tack driver & I assume it has a bolt & is fully functional. The sale of the parts of the L46 would go a long way towards paying for a rebarrel job. Plus you would have choices in the caliber you chamber the new barrel for. 17 Rem, 17 & 221 Rem Fireball, 222 Rem, 223 Rem, 6mm/223 Rem, & other wildcat variants of that casehead/length brass. Just some food for thought.

Latest posts

Back