• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

New member. First Sako

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Obligatory first post.... I just bought a Sako 30-06 with the Mannlicher style stock. I'll admit it was an impulse buy. Most of my other guns are CZ's with a few old .22's thrown in. Mossbergs and Remingtons mostly. I passed up a CZ in .308 with a Mannlicher stock a few months ago. Today I wandered into the gun shop/toy store. Yes it literally is a toy store/hunting store. On the far end of the rack was a rifle with a beautiful full stock. The tag was turned so I couldn't see it, so I had to ask. The rest is history. It was on consignment, so I had the guy call the owner to see if I could talk him down a little. It has a nice Leupold scope on it. From what I could google it is an AIII model made in late 70's to early 80's. As much as I like CZ's this rifle is a step above the one I passed on a few months ago. Paid $800 for it. Might be high? Don't really care, I love the way it looks and feels. Nothing beats a fine oiled wood stock. Can't wait to shoot it.

Welcome, Makarov.

A nice A-III Mannlicher with a Leupold on it for $800? You got a huge bargain. Congratulations on becoming a Sako owner.

Also, condolences: You'll find buying Sakos a hard habit to break.

Hah, hah, hah, it's all downhill from here! As Stone has indicated they are addictive. If I could pick up a full wood at that price I would be walking quickly outa that shop and not looking back - a steal.

Marcus

Thanks for the replies. Yes it is an A3 (AIII) - the stock is nice wood, but not heavily figured like I have seen some. It is missing the front sight hood. It does not have a rear sight, but I take it that the rifles imported into the US might not have always come with one? Is that accurate? I might try to track down a front sight hood just because I think they look cooler with them on . The rifle was not a safe queen. It has some bluing wear on the barrel cap and some nicks here and there. Overall, it is in good shape. I don't hunt usually, but have been asked to go next year with family. Should make a good hunting rifle for deer or elk. I'm sure it will be a blast to shoot with that 20" barrel. I think 800 was a good price considering it has a few scratches, but the scope and rings are worth something. It is a Leupold 3x9x40 VX2 scope. Nice clear optics. Overall, I couldn't ask for a better high mountain hunting rifle for deer and elk. I live in Eastern Washington State. Usually not heavy brush country but sometimes you have to hike a bit when hunting. I really like the idea of such a handy length rifle and have always really liked the old country look of the Mannlicher stocks. Always wanted a Ruger 10/22 International, but don't have one.

Back