• Hey All! Lately there has been more and more scammers on the forum board. They register and replies to members requests for guns and/or parts or other things. The reply contains a gmail or hotmail address or similar ”anonymous” email addresses which they want you to reply to. DO NOT ANSWER ANY STRANGE MESSAGES! They often state something like this: ”Hello! Saw your post about purchasing a stock for a Safari. KnuckleheadBob has one. Email him at: [email protected]” If you receive any strange messages: Check the status of whoever message you. If they have no posts and signed up the same day or very recently, stay away. Same goes for other members they might refer to. Check them too and if they are long standing members, PM them and ask if the message is legit. Most likely it’s not. Then use the report function in each message or post so I can kick them out! Beware of anything that might seem fishy! And again, for all of you who registered your personal name as username, please contact me so I can change it to a more anonymous username. You’d be surprised of how much one can find out about a person from just a username on a forum such ad our! All the best! And be safe! Jim

NEW CONTEST: L46 .25-20's

Sako Collectors Club Discussion Forum

Hello Steve,

Does the number include the L46 - in 6, 3 X 33 R? As I have said before my L46 - in 6, 3 X 33 R { .25 - 20 WCF } came out of production on the 1st October 1949.

Blackjack

Steve do you know how many L46 - 6, 3 X 33 R were made? as opposed to .25 -20 WCF? Would be good to know!

Blackjack

Steve do you know how many L46 - 6, 3 X 33 R were made? as opposed to .25 -20 WCF? Would be good to know! Blackjack
No, the records list both designations on the top of each page, so there is no indication of how an individual rifle was marked. Curiously, Sako just called it the "6,3x33" in the records, without any "R".

Great guesses, guys! SWS1213 only missed by three: His guess was 687 and the actual number is 690. Congratulations, SWS1213, drop me a PC with your request and I'll pass it to our researcher. THANKS to all who participated!

Here is the year by year production:

1948 -- 1
1949 -- 159
1950 -- 61
1951 -- 65
1952 -- 117
1953 & 1954 -- 155
1955 -- 70
1956 -- 56
1957 -- 5
1958 -- 0
1959 -- 0
1960 -- 1
Total = 690

This most certainly makes the .25-20 the scarcest of the L46's, and since not a single one was imported to the U.S. commercially (any that are here were brought in by individuals), I've got to believe that this caliber's number of Sakos in the U.S. have to be similar to those like the 7x57, 7.62x33, .308 Norma, and others which had a very limited run.

This most certainly makes the .25-20 the scarcest of the L46's, and since not a single one was imported to the U.S. commercially (any that are here were brought in by individuals), I've got to believe that this caliber's number of Sakos in the U.S. have to be similar to those like the 7x57, 7.62x33, .308 Norma, and others which had a very limited run.
I apologize for the phrasing above about the scarcity of the .25-20. There were actually fewer .218 Bees produced (less than 500 it appears, although I have not gotten a final number). What I should have said is that the .25-20 is the rarer in The U.S. since none were imported, while the .218 Bee would be the rarer in most of the rest of the world since the bulk of those were imported to the U.S. Thanks to douglastwo for bringing this to my attention.

The "distribution footprint" of various Sako models can have a big impact on how common or scarce they seem. For instance, there were many, many more 7x33's produced in the L46 than the .218 Bee, yet the 7x33 seems to be even scarcer than the Bee in the U.S. since the Bee was imported by FI and the 7x33 was not.

There is an L61R which Sako labeled "Model Calic". I have no idea what features this rifle may have exhibited, but quite a few of them were produced and virtually all of them were shipped to AB Calic, the Swedish importer of Sakos (a handful went to other European distributors.) That model (however it differs from contemporaneous L61R's) seems to be totally absent in the U.S., but would be rather common in Sweden. I wonder if any of our European members can identify the Model Calic for us?

Latest posts

Back